ABU Carabus Ultra Light Lure rod

John Aston

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with micro lures this year - size 12/14 0.3/ 5 jig hooks and caddis and bloodworm patterns . They work but even my most lightweight lure rod (Shimano Zodias) is too heavy. Inspired by the Ginger Fisherman on YouTube (who catches bream , rudd , roach , perch and even the odd tench on micros)I have just bought the same rod he uses , the ABU Carabus . It is rated 0,3- 2g and is just an exquisite little (1.8m) thing. The matching 1000 reel feels like it comes from Ken and Barbie's dolls house and it should be huge fun with even small fish.

The rod is designed for a discipline I'd never heard of - trout area fishing . Like the now trendy Tenkara fly fishing technique , trout area fishing came from Japan and involves catching as many small fish as possible. The odd thing is that while I don't much enjoy catching lots of small roach, dace of chublets or perch on bait , I love catching any fish of any size on lure or fly.

It is essentially a late spring/ summer technique so I have only 8 months to wait ....

@Clive

Reaction score
Sounds like fun John. Will you be using the technique on the canal?

I used to do quite a bit of fly-fishing for roach, perch, dace, etc using a conventional #4 outfit. A #2 or # 3 would have sufficed. I would think that some of the weighted fly patterns that I used could be cast on a light lure rod. Variations of SKB with reddish brown thorax was my to go roach fly and long shanked PTN with lime green or red thorax caught lots of small perch. Large Woolly Bu99ers in brown with a bit of flash would take chub and perch.

John Aston

Reaction score
Local small canal yet but probably not on t'Aire and Calder, which is a bit big for finesse. But my main target is our syndicate gravel pit which has lots of roach and perch , and some rudd .And 30lb plus pike and carp , which can bloody well stay away from this little rod .

@Clive

Reaction score
I was thinking of the Leeds Liverpool in the Skipton area. Anyway, my curiosity lead me to look up said rod and reel combo and I found it advertised on the French Peche Promo site that I think equates to Fishdeal.uk. It looks like a nice outfit.