Aces vs Chavs 2010 - The Details

Peter Morton

Reaction score
Neil,
I've tried to send you a PM, not sure if you've recieved it though?
Unfortunately a couple of issues have recently come up at work which means I won't be able to attend on the day.:(

Apologies if this leaves you short.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Lark and I fished saturday. SHOCK HORROR the level is at least a metre down on normal level. You have about 8 inches of gin clear water at the base of the platforms. Keepnets will be tricky. It is still possible to fish but a longish chuck is needed to reach the shelves. I suggest you all pack your waders or wellies as it may be necessary to climb down to stake keepnets in deep enough water.
Otherwise it fished quite hard. I was catching skimmers and roach on the feeder, Lark had his hook straightened out by a munter carp.

Lark

Reaction score
Gem of the day was the guy down around peg 5 or 6 dead-baiting for pike. Landed a
19lb mirror carp on a sprat!

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

And, by the way, the straightened hook wasn't a fine-wire job. It was a size 12 Kamasan Animal... May as well have been a paper clip!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Apologies, but me and Eddie Bibby won't be able to make this one after all. My wife booked a holiday and never bothered to tell me!

Please put the fees we've paid, if at all possible, into the pool fund, to be shared amongst the winner(s).

Good luck to everybody and, above all, enjoy the day.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Having heard from a "local" (as well as the updates from "Lark" and "Peter" - thanks), it seems there is a chronic shortage of water at Clattercote. BWB having extracted a good chunk of it, without warning, last week.

It may be almost impossible to use keepnets in a satisfactory/safe way, particularly on most of the pegs we have booked.

I hope to speak to the bailiff this evening and get a clearer idea of the situation and possible alternatives, perhaps using the pegs nearer the Dam (but even that might not be enough).

I'll let you know asap. I don't think it will be feasible to expect us to climb down from the boards and wade out to keepnets, or indeed to fish from "down there".

S

Scott Whatmore

Neil,

I've just spoken to my Dad and Johnny Macklin.

In view of the circumstances the 3 of us have decided not to fish this weekend. It is a shame because we were looking forward to it.

It is a long drive, especially for Dad & John when there is a doubt that the match can go ahead.

Please put my entrance fee into the prize fund kitty as per Graham & Eddie Blobby.

Thanks

Scott

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This is really sad Neil as I was looking forward to giving everyone a real spanking this year! :p :p :D

What is BW doing with other match bookings because if it's not that safe to fish with keepnets then they should not demand the fees. Is it too late to pull off and return everyone's money/save it until the next time???

Edit: or is there an alternative venue? I think we tried that before and teh answer is - no!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well if its going to be called off then lets have a decision quickly.I have net access problems, alot on this week and I do not want to be filling my [her !] fridge with bait only to discover that its a no go.

My vote is for a postponement but if it goes ahead anyway I will turn up.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Postponed!

MATCH POSTPONED FOR ANOTHER DAY!

Well, I've spoken to the bailiff and he has confirmed the levels are at least four feet down and it will take a while to replenish. Without prompting he said keepnets would be difficult to position and will require wading and staking out. That applied to most swims whether on the (normal) nearside bank or the far bank. Only those nearest the dam would be any better.

So, I've advised him we will postpone and rebook for another day. He did not disagree and will let the Head Bailiff know. He was well aware we regularly booked matches every year.

Sorry for this change but I thought it prudent to make the decison without further delay. I for one did not relish the thought of clambering down from the boards or having any size of carp in a keepnet in shallow water.

Also from a selfish point of view, I did not want to pay for the full 25 booked pegs (payable on the day) if our full compliment of anglers were not going to turn up (paid or not). As it is I've only paid the BWB booking fee of £6.

Apart from my local commercial - Gold Valley - there is liitle option at short notice (we succesfully moved from GV to a more central venue). So I will endeavour to sort out an alternative Clattercote date.

I could hold on to the cash of those who have paid (I'll invest it with my mate from The Congo who seems to have a few million sloshing about) or I will happily pay you back. Let me know by PM please, I'll send you a cheque.

Once again, sorry for the postponment, but I believe it's the right decision.

S

Scott Whatmore

Neil,

A good early decision. I'll pm you my address for a refund.

Scott

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You couldn't have judged it any earlier, how could anyone have known.

I think you should get back the booking fee too, if they object, Neil, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Keep my money for a rainy day. (literally - like Fred!!!)

Morespiders

Reaction score
I cant see what the problem is, once Whatmores cast his float in, the displacement will bring it up to a fishable level, obviously nobody noticed last year every time he reeled in

Shame though,