ACES vs CHAVS MK2 ??

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I have a date on the Bristol Avon already.....would have liked to competed tho.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I am happy to be an honourary Ace like last year so that I get to fish on the opposite team to Claudia, makes for a good bit of domestic tension.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Saturday 6th October 2007

Those showing interest so far (17):

Neil M.
Evan
Bryan B.
Graham M.
Paul H.
Scott W.
Claudia (Venue Expert)
John H.
Peter J.
Speci-hunter
Wendy
Steve L.
Mithrandir
Mark H.
Cakey
Posh Paul
Matty C.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
In the interests of a little research, I fished an open on Syndicate today (well Oct 6th is not that far away!).

Fished 11-4 and by 2:30 I was fishless! That was not according to plan and to say I was confused is an understatement!!

I should know by now that the carp usually turn up at some stage but this was a long wait.

They finally decided they liked what I was doing as I had 13 in the next 60 minutes for 70lb 04oz. Quite pleased with that as it was good enough for 2nd in section (winner had 88lb).

But even with 70lb I still couldn't get into the top 10!

1st 143lb
2nd 114lb
3rd 108lb
4th 98lb
5th 91lb
6th 88lb
7th 85lb
8th 80lb
9th 78lb
10th 73lb

Quite a few doubles came out and the biggest I saw was 18lb (on the pole!).

This is not the match fishing I remember!

C

Cakey

I think you should go back and do some more research .......hahaha

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
How bizarre Neil, Mike and I was fishing on the opposite bank today and had lots of fish (didn't know you were fishing the match today)

Mike had a bag of 140lb, I didn't count mine but my best catches were an 11lber and a 14lber, which came out of the margin.

Guess you taught me too well ;-)

Oh yeah and I had my secret weapon with me.........my fags lol.

To be on the fair side, Mike fished 2 rods, I mainly fished one and we fished from 7am to 7pm.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I only fished two rods until it got too hectic, at one point we had 4 fish between us in 5 minutes, Claudia had two rods go off, I ran to clear the second rod for her, unhooked it in the water, ran back to my rod that went off and whilst reeling it in the margin rod exploded off but I diid not manage to net that one.

I managed 31 fish to a grand total of 148 3/4 pounds, 2 over 10lbs and 1 small Crucian.

I think the match made a difference as the bites were every 15 minutes before the match and every 10 after it, during the match it dropped to about every 1/2 an hour.

So I am all geared up for the aces and have the secret tactics sorted.

We were down the far end ( longest walk ), which end were you Neil?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I was on 120 which has a sunken tree in the margin. If you were in the high 90's (on the path with Bungalow Lake behind you) I would have been at about 2 o'clock. When Claudia and I fished it last time, we were around 108. That's where the winner came from today.

Last Sunday the pathway between Syndicate & Bungalow was under about 3 feet of water. Carp were literally swimming along the tarmac!

Yes it can get very hectic, sometimes they can go for hours. But for me, they just turned on for a short period (13 carp, 1 tiny carp and 1 bream all in less than an hour).

Two rods, that's cheating!

Early Oct - rain, wind, frost, snow, thunder & lightning, hailstones - what's the odds???

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Saturday 6th October 2007

Those showing interest so far (18):

Neil M. (I think I know the venue..but..!)
Evan
Bryan B.
Graham M.
Paul H.
Scott W.
Claudia (Venue Expert)
John H.
Peter J.
Speci-hunter
Wendy
Steve L.
Mithrandir (Another Venue Expert)
Mark H.
Cakey
Posh Paul
Matty C.
Mark W.

D

David Bourne

Could you put me down for this one too please Neil, love to have another crack at GV if I am healthy enough.

D

David Bourne

Could you put me down for this one too please Neil, love to have another crack at GV if I am healthy enough.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
WOW!!!!

I have reached the lofty heights of "expert" status!!

Today sees the 1st anniversary of me buying my first fishing licence and having a go at coarse fishing.

Now I am an expert!

So, here is my total words of wisdom on the subject.

take a sharp bent bit of metal, try some string to it, a bit a heavy stuff to make it sink, put fish food on the sharp thing, throw it into the water ( chose a place where fish are having their dinner ). Pull on string when it goes tight.

No mystery to this fishing lark, it is easy, don't know why some people spend a lifetime mastering it.

So with that in mind I will probably blank at Gold Valley next time!!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mike, how did you know that was the method I tried for the first 3 1/2 hours in yesterday's match? (see above!).

Seriously Mike and Claudia, that's some going on Syndicate. Most newcomers usually catch a few odd carp but that's a good day out in anyone's books. But from the times we've met, it's clear you're both anglers who give it a lot of thought. Did you get them waving their tales at you in the margins later on in the day?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Claudia had a 14lber from the margins, I had an 11, and I lost a lump that was a really good double right at the end, saw it's back as it boiled the water before it snapped me up after a 10 minute fight.

There were visible stirs in the water over the margin feed I had put in literally 3 feet from the swim, and they took the baits. Made me wonder about all the camo gear as I was totally visible to any fish that were there, they did not spook even when I was playing a fish, right at the waters edge, bite alarm had gone off I had jumped up and was stood 3 feet from my margin bait and still something took it, they certainly are not shy fish there.

The young lad who was fishing next to me right in the corner was struggling in the first few hours, he had had a couple of fish out on boillies and ground bait, he and his mate came over to see why I was catching every 10 minutes, so I showed him how I was doing it, gave him a few of the special hook baits and set up a couple of rigs for him, he had 5 fish in the next hour and was chuffed.

When we left he had had his most fish in one day ever, I was really glad for him, so I left him with instructions to drop his line into the margin bed I had fed up and gave him a bit of bait to pop over the top. I hope in that last hour he got into one of the steam trains that feed just there.

Margins late on are definitely a good place on most commercials I have fished, I wonder if the fish get used to anglers dumping unused bait right by the swim as they leave.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
That's what happens and more. The carp population is huge in that lake and I don't think a scrap of food is left on the bottom for very long!

The match winner fished the margin all through the match with paste and had 18 fish (I think) for 143lb including several doubles. The margin approach is very popular at the moment even in matches with close pegging. The average size is far bigger than those caught on the feeder or lead but with fish well into "doubles" and some nudging 20lb it can be a bit of a heart stopper!

Some evenings, the margins are incredibly sights as ducks, geese, swans and carp all congregate in the same area!

This 1 and the next 2!

Well done for helping out the lad. A lot of people turn up at GV and struggle, won't take or listen to advice. I've been in similar situations and it's great when they do listen. Sometimes they even say thanks!

Specihunter

Reaction score
ok so what is the age then and cakey I WANT YOU IN THE NEXT PEG so you can watch a master hahahahahahahahahahaha