ACES vs CHAVS MK2 ??

Nippi

Reaction score
Lol! Yeh the years haven't been too good to me Neil - "Nah geezer I'm a chav right, sorted!"

Seriously though, old Jack was my boyhood hero and the reason I started fishing all those years ago. I couldn't wait for friday night and Out Of Town; the highlight of my week. Sad but true!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Totally agree, great programs, I've now got a few of the DVD's and have not long re-read the book again (Jack Hargreaves - A Portrait).

I met him on Throop many, many years ago and fished with him (well near him to be precise!). I well remember the conversations but then loads of kids and parents kept turning up and he eventually politely packed up and left. He made a point of saying "Cheerio" to me as he left.

Great memories.

Nippi

Reaction score
I've got the DVD's too; classics. Still love 'em today. I actually met him several times in Dave Swallows old shop in Moordown though I was always too shy to pluck up the courage to actually talk to him. As you say Neil, great memories!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Old jack was'nt just about fishing, he could and did do many things, all to do with the country side, hence the title.
I enjoyed Jack more than **** walker or any of the others of that time.

C

Cakey

he was really laid back and slow at times but the things he could do with them hands..........

M

MarkTheSpark

Totally agree, great programs, I've now got a few of the DVD's and have not long re-read the book again (Jack Hargreaves - A Portrait)

I've probably plugged this book of Jack's before, but The Old Country is a really moving book which shows Jack to be what he really was - a conservationist who was prophetic about the planet's future.

He passed his last few years in Upper Belchalwell, and used to nip down to the pub in Okeford Fitzpaine for a pint on his pony and trap. The local laddos all took the piss out of him, for no reason, just the stupidity of youth.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
He was also a very successful TV/Radio producer/executive and made big impacts behind the camera as well as in front.

The quote from the National Film Archive says it all: "When they finally cover Britain with concrete, they will have something to remind them of what it was all about".

I really used to enjoy Friday nights when "Out of Town" was broadcast.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Saturday 6th October

Those interested so far: (23)

Neil M.
Evan
Bryan B.
Graham M.
Paul H.
Scott W.
Claudia
John H.
Peter J.
Speci-hunter
Wendy
Steve L.
Mithrandir
Mark H.
Cakey
Posh Paul
Matty C.
Mark W.
David B.
Graham W.
Ray C.
Wayne N.
Nigel L.

Look out Mark W, Wayne N. and me........ there's another "banker" about!!!!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Its a good job its so far south or I would have winkled out my statuotory bag of silvers that gained me a nice spoon (who got my spoon )and won us chavs the match along with a tiny bag of carp by some Bristow fella.MR Marsden your crown is safe mate for this year only.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Andy Nellist has got The Spoon, his 6 months are up!

The Cider Boys from Bristol are otherwise engaged but there's a fair few new Chavs and Aces willing (and able?) to have a go on this one.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I dont do match fishing anymore and have'nt for almost 20 years.

Used to enter a few opens and went on the club matches. My last season of match fishing i won 17 trophys out of 19 all first place.

Something for some of you to think about maybe, then again fishing this kind of water is something i have never done. So looks like i will be bringing home the wooden spoon. At least i get to win something.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cakey, glad your coming this year matey, make sure you get pegged near me in the quiet corner haha.

C

Cakey

aint it weird how we are to noisey but more and more joined us through the days ??