AD River Ambush 5' 6", 1.5lb TC Rod

The Sogster

Reaction score
I've been looking for a cheap short rod to fish some swims on my local rivers with very tight access and little room. Something it wouldn't matter if it got laid on the ground etc. The areas involved are in the roughest areas imaginable locally and the residents don't take kindly to strangers, so I was seeking something that doesn't matter if I get mugged.

Anyway I found the above rod on the AD website and at for £22.50 for a full carbon
rod, looks perfect for the job thinks I. So on impulse bought one sight unseen.

On arrival I put the rod together. First impressions were quite good, the blank is pretty slim and looks quite good.
The handle is very short, not really long enough for two handed casting (Warwick Davis would be fine), more of a hand and a half handle. The blank has a matte finish but with glossy black whipping which seem fashionable these days. The top section is a put over joint rather than a spigot and I would rate the 12" glass tip at about 2oz.
It balances quite well with a 3000 size shimano.

Obviously it goes without saying that for the price that the materials aren't of the highest quality but it is a smart looking little thing, the build quality seems good, no bent or out of line rod rings.

Having now used it. If only for a couple of hours it seems pretty OK.
It will flick a couple of swan, underarm 10+ yards and with a backhand cross body cast 15 to 17 yards. I would think it's OK with leads up to about 1oz. I was using 6lb Pro clear.

If you want a cheap once a year/ swim type rod it might be worth looking at.

So far 6/10

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
I considered that Ray but wanted something cheaper for the reasons stated above, at the price it's less than a decent Chinese takeaway.

Just to add in my experience the TB rods I've owned are lovely, wouldn't want to abuse them like I plan to do with this.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I considered that Ray but wanted something cheaper for the reasons stated above, at the price it's less than a decent Chinese takeaway.

Just to add in my experience the TB rods I've owned are lovely, wouldn't want to abuse them like I plan to do with this.

If I genuinely thought I would be likely to be mugged I wouldn’t fish there. Your welfare comes first. I fished some decidedly dodgy areas on the GUC a short while ago, so I’m not really the best at taking my own advice, lol. Still, it’s your water, so you probably know what is best suited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I bought an impulse rod similar to that from Bennets (remember them?) a few years ago. A 9foot carbon Shakespeare rod labelled as a ledger rod. No quiver tip, just a straight rod with a screw fitting for one.
It was a tenner!
I dont use it very often but occasionally use it for stalking those carp that live under the bank beneath the bankside growth.
Its a rod that also belies the price and is great with 9 lb line.
Fun to use with a pin.