advice

JackPinny

Reaction score
i am wondering if anyone can help me i go fishing in a small pond near where i live it has a stock of around 15-20 carp with a silty bottom and it has quite alot of bream i fish with numerous baits on the bottom like corn and boilies and i cant seem to catch many carp is their any other techniques that would work well thanks

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Pop up maggots of the bottom. Use coated braid with a strip back section to form a hinge. Rig ring on the hair with a small piece of foam between the ring and the hook. Split shot at the beginning of the stripped material to set the pop up depth.

Tie maggots onto the ring with dental floss and a sowing needle. Slide a small pva mesh bag of dead maggots down the rig to the hook.

JackPinny

Reaction score
i have quite alot of silvers and bream in my pond will they be a problem?

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
i have quite alot of silvers and bream in my pond will they be a problem?
Maybe. Try the rig with about 15-20 maggots. If it's hammered by silvers try other baits on a normal hair. Prawn, mussel, peperami...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
i am wondering if anyone can help me i go fishing in a small pond near where i live it has a stock of around 15-20 carp with a silty bottom and it has quite alot of bream i fish with numerous baits on the bottom like corn and boilies and i cant seem to catch many carp is their any other techniques that would work well thanks
If it only has a low density, try fishing a pellet Waggler, keep feeding and casting and adjusting depth until you get a response.
It is not an instant success , but the sound of the pellets going in will eventually be like a dinner bell to them.
Plus you shouldn't be plagued by small silvers.
Another way is wag n mag ,similar to pellet Waggler but using maggots, be prepared to use a few pints of maggots.
If using a lead , try using the lightest one you can get away with so it will not sink into the silt. and a long tail from it ,so that the bait rests on the bottom .
Nothing fancy just mainline and long hooklength.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Pop up maggots of the bottom. Use coated braid with a strip back section to form a hinge. Rig ring on the hair with a small piece of foam between the ring and the hook. Split shot at the beginning of the stripped material to set the pop up depth.

Tie maggots onto the ring with dental floss and a sowing needle. Slide a small pva mesh bag of dead maggots down the rig to the hook.
carpology-31-penners-rig-12-image-banner.jpg

JackPinny

Reaction score
If it only has a low density, try fishing a pellet Waggler, keep feeding and casting and adjusting depth until you get a response.
It is not an instant success , but the sound of the pellets going in will eventually be like a dinner bell to them.
Plus you shouldn't be plagued by small silvers.
Another way is wag n mag ,similar to pellet Waggler but using maggots, be prepared to use a few pints of maggots.
If using a lead , try using the lightest one you can get away with so it will not sink into the silt. and a long tail from it ,so that the bait rests on the bottom .
Nothing fancy just mainline and long hooklength.
should i have the bait on the bottom or suspended from the waggler

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
okay thanks do you know what sort of size hook i should use
Match hook size to pellet,
I usually use hair rigged 8mm to a 16 hook. No need to go overboard on line strength either, I have landed 15lb carp on 6lb mainline to 8lb hooklength.
As with wag n mag it is continuous feed and cast, Don't cast then feed 10 minutes later, Feed ,cast , feed, cast , half a dozen or so pellets will suffice, you want them competing for food.

JackPinny

Reaction score
i see so like a match style fishing i have some sticky krill pellets and i have some size 14 hooks with bands will they work?

JackPinny

Reaction score
Yep, match style, and if pellets are hard they will be fine, if not a bag of 6mm or 8mm will suffice,
What rod n reel set up would you be using.
i think its a ten foot rod and a reel with 8lb pound line

rayner

Reaction score
When fishing shallow start mid-depth. If you are not getting bites go deeper. if you are getting bites but not contacting fish come shallower.
Keep busy feeding and casting, if you are not busy enough you will fail. Do not expect to catch straight away.
I would use bomb and pellet then feed over the top with pellets constantly, may take a while keep feeding they will come.

JackPinny

Reaction score
When fishing shallow start mid-depth. If you are not getting bites go deeper. if you are getting bites but not contacting fish come shallower.
Keep busy feeding and casting, if you are not busy enough you will fail. Do not expect to catch straight away.
I would use bomb and pellet then feed over the top with pellets constantly, may take a while keep feeding they will come.
whats a bomb like a spomb?

rayner

Reaction score
It used to be called a leger or a ledger weight, it is instead of a swim feeder, it is a lead weight to cast your bait into the swim. lead is no longer used in weights under 2 oz. These days it has to be non-toxic.
Nothing like a spomb, I would never use a spomb. Feeding needs to be more discrete for my liking.
Youtube will show you how to fish a bomb.

JackPinny

Reaction score
It used to be called a leger or a ledger weight, it is instead of a swim feeder, it is a lead weight to cast your bait into the swim. lead is no longer used in weights under 2 oz. These days it has to be non-toxic.
Nothing like a spomb, I would never use a spomb. Feeding needs to be more discrete for my liking.
Youtube will show you how to fish a bomb.
okay thanks