all very confusing

craigbo

Reaction score
Hi all
As much advice as possible would be appreciated and I need a lot.
Now in my mid 40s, I'd not fished in any way shape or form for well over 30 years until this summer. I purchased a cheap enough float rod and light reel, the few basics and headed out to the Severn near me in Worcestershire. Hit and miss for the first few visits but enjoyed immensely. Then decided to visit a local commercial lake near me and had a great day, including landing a decent size carp probably 5 times bigger than anything I'd ever caught. Last week I went out to a lovely stretch of the Teme. It was quite shallow and fairly fast moving in places. Trotting a float had some success but now I'd like to go back and try something different
I fancy trying feeder/ledger fishing so again I've purchased a reasonably priced rod with quiver tip and reel. Beyond this I'm a bit unsure. I've looked up a simple enough rig and think I need swivels, maggot feeder and beads.
Could anyone tell me is it worth taking groundbait and if so what kind, what size line and hooks, any other bait and any other advice would be much appreciated.
Regards

rubio

Reaction score
Hello mate. Best advice for any of us is whenever poss keep it simple and enjoy it. Maggot with a blockend swimfeeder is likely to get you bites on any water, still or running. If it's a commercial they will be keen to point you in the right direction cos they want you to come back. A few quid on bait and a bit of tackle from a local shop should entitle you to some advice and guidance suited to your venue too. If they don't come good on that start looking for another tackle and bait shop if poss.
Enjoy

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it has been 30 years since you last fished the basics have not really changed all that much.

Location, watercraft, bait presentation, and some local knowledge are still the same as ever.

Your quiver tip rod should give an indication of suitable line strengths to use, but typically you need to match your line to the conditions and the target species. The same goes for hook size and hook length breaking strain.

As a general rule if roach and dace are the target then a size 18's or 20's to a light hook length but if chub the maybe up it to a size 14's for a larger bait - generally try to match your hook size to your bait size.

If that river is low and clear and moving quickly then maybe a feeder is not the best solution . . . . possibly a straight leger approach with some loose feed or a little ground bait might be a better approach.

If you decide to use a feeder then maybe a very small maggot feeder so as not to make too much of a disturbance?

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on . . . . .

Good luck

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Hi all
As much advice as possible would be appreciated and I need a lot.
Now in my mid 40s, I'd not fished in any way shape or form for well over 30 years until this summer. I purchased a cheap enough float rod and light reel, the few basics and headed out to the Severn near me in Worcestershire. Hit and miss for the first few visits but enjoyed immensely. Then decided to visit a local commercial lake near me and had a great day, including landing a decent size carp probably 5 times bigger than anything I'd ever caught. Last week I went out to a lovely stretch of the Teme. It was quite shallow and fairly fast moving in places. Trotting a float had some success but now I'd like to go back and try something different
I fancy trying feeder/ledger fishing so again I've purchased a reasonably priced rod with quiver tip and reel. Beyond this I'm a bit unsure. I've looked up a simple enough rig and think I need swivels, maggot feeder and beads.
Could anyone tell me is it worth taking groundbait and if so what kind, what size line and hooks, any other bait and any other advice would be much appreciated.
Regards

I don't know the Teme except by reputation. I have seen articles about barbel there. Groundbait is used in feeders for barbel to plug the ends to hold the pellets or whatever whilst casting. It works where I fish so it probably will there also.
However as the water cools, local advice may be to lay off the groundbait??
How about joining a club and have a watch with permission what regulars are doing.
A walk during a club match might be very enlightening.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
As others have said take maggots and a maggot feeder to start with to get a bit of bait in
Then if you use a clip to attach the maggot feeder you can switch it to a cage feeder and try ground bait with a few maggots in it and compare results to see if one catches more than the other method

mattyp663

Reaction score
I do a lot of feeder fishing now and always use a pellet feeder with a small head. I figured its best to feed little and not to offer to much food into the swim.

I tend to cast to the location, leave it for 3 to 4 mins (longer during winter) once its settled then pull it out and go again. Whether this is the correct way, im not sure.

Ive always used a middy bait banded hook length, I just vary the size of the hook depending on the bait im using.

During winter its better not to offer too much food into the swim, which ever feeder method you choose, guess its just personal preference.

hope this helps :)