American/Canadian Fishing VS UK fishing

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Canadian Fishing and guys generally building log cabins etc in the wilderness is something I like to watch on you tube
But Fishing in the States or Canada seems to centre around ridiculously large lures and hooks
I assume they are so successful because the country is so large and the fish have barely seen a bait before

You never see an American fishing video where the guy is trying to winkle out a few roach from a canal
My question is do you think the over large baits and hook tactics might work in the UK ?

I started the vid at the fishing but there is also some remarkable fishing here

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Well, some UK pike anglers like to use large lures with multiple treble hooks.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Americans like big cars, big macs, big meals, big roads, big guns, big presidents/big tits, big lures and big fish- you may notice a theme. Would it work in the UK? maybe but I hope we hang on to our subtlety.

Only joking, love them really but it is horses for courses. However, it is strange that they always seem to fish for the same fish, you don't hear much about any other species not forgetting one carp that was caught once.:)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have fished there for crappies and steelheads. The place is so vast with each state having big rivers and very large lakes that you can just head out and fish. In addition the water might contain small fish, large trout, Muskies, bass, alligator gar, turtles and even alligators in the south. I know a size 18 hook to a 2lb hooklength would be useless. Canada is even bigger and with only 35 million inhabitants.

Here you might be disturbed by a dog walker or an inquisitive old lady but there it could be a Grizzly, Black bear, Cougar, Wolverine, Wolf, Bobcat, Lynx, Bison, Elk, Moose or some lunatic redneck. I doubt many guys would head out without a handgun and an assault rifle.

john step

Reaction score
I have fished there for crappies and steelheads. The place is so vast with each state having big rivers and very large lakes that you can just head out and fish. In addition the water might contain small fish, large trout, Muskies, bass, alligator gar, turtles and even alligators in the south. I know a size 18 hook to a 2lb hooklength would be useless. Canada is even bigger and with only 35 million inhabitants.

Here you might be disturbed by a dog walker or an inquisitive old lady but there it could be a Grizzly, Black bear, Cougar, Wolverine, Wolf, Bobcat, Lynx, Bison, Elk, Moose or some lunatic redneck. I doubt many guys would head out without a handgun and an assault rifle.
I suppose an assault rifle could come in handy on some sections of the Grand Union?

theartist

Reaction score
I suppose an assault rifle could come in handy on some sections of the Grand Union?
Trouble is all the old ladies down the canal are packing heat too

Also there's lots of crappies this side of the Atlantic too on some waters

bennygesserit

Reaction score
From the same video later in the video he gets almost a bite a chuck , this is a 100 percent naturally stocked Water , little evidence of edits in the vid , I would struggle to catch at this rate on some commercials

sam vimes

Reaction score
I believe that the difference between UK and North American angling is largely down to the quirks of evolution. For some reason, a significant proportion of North American freshwater fish are predatory. Fish at almost every size and evolutionary niche are attracted by lures to an extent we just don't see in the UK. The few indigenous fish that aren't significantly predatory are generally small and not usually deemed to be a worthwhile angling quarry. I've seen videos of small dace and roach like North American fish (minnows, shiners and the like), but most North American anglers seem totally uninterested in them, unless they use them as bait.

The secondary difference is that huge swathes of North America are not densely populated. There are so many waters that rarely, if ever, see anglers. Whilst there's barely a water in the UK that hasn't been significantly altered by man, there are plenty in North America that have seen no significant interference.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a friend who went to Canada once on one of these all inclusive salmon fishing trips for a week. He absolutely loved it, flown out by helicopter, the guide carried a gun for Grizzles, absolute necessary apparently. They camped for a week, he caught several large salmon in the wilderness, not a soul anywhere and he said it was the best thing he ever did. I can imagine that, must be an exciting place to fish.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have some hooks called tru turn, there is a slight offset on the shank, they are in a size 18 , Manufactured in America,
A few years agony son and his wife went to visit relatives who live at the side of one of the lakes in the finger lakes region of NY state.
Ui gave him a packet to take to local tackle shop for him to see if they sold that brand.
They did but in large sizes , guy behind the counter didnt realize they went that small.

I am sure I read somewhere that some top name english anglers went to New York and fished a lake ( possibly in central park) , for promo on UK angling
They were using standard waggler and swimfeeder methods, The Yanks couldnt believe how many fish they were catching on small hooks and light line.Plus they were amazed at what a swimfeeder was.

Last edited: