An item of tackle which has stood the test of time

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The oldest item I have is a wooden 3 partition box with sliding lid containing hardy spinners ,some have brass heads and coated with like a wax paper, a treble hook at the back and two "flying" trebles on mono coming from the sides.
The box is dated 1946, I have never used the contents. All my old Mitchell's including an otomatic..and abu reels went to daughter in laws charity car boot , have 3 old daiwa rods from 80's a drennan crystalite, a few old shimano baitrunners and aero match, ASI seat box. A 7 metre fibreglass Garbolino pole that weighs a ton. My other main poles I sold to keep upgrading., but keep looking out for a shimano diaflash in good condition or a shimano Aernos, not an old pole but one of the best i had then sold.

mikench

Reaction score
Mitchell reels seem to feature a lot. I know young Aknib has recently bought a 440 and likes it . In my pursuit of nostalgia should I try one, would I truly like it and which model?

nottskev

Reaction score
A 7 metre fibreglass Garbolino pole that weighs a ton. .

That sounds familiar. Was it by any chance green and called SLV? I went all the way to Wimbledon, to a tackle shop called Gerry's, to buy one of these in 1979. A pretty useless thing, looking back, but all part of the pole learning curve. Some of it ended up as a landing net handle.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds familiar. Was it by any chance green and called SLV? I went all the way to Wimbledon, to a tackle shop called Gerry's, to buy one of these in 1979. A pretty useless thing, looking back, but all part of the pole learning curve. Some of it ended up as a landing net handle.

I well remember Gerry's as one of the companies I worked for back then (1974) had an office a few doors away from their shop. Being on the doorstep so to speak I was often in there at lunchtime either buying or browsing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Mitchell reels seem to feature a lot. I know young Aknib has recently bought a 440 and likes it . In my pursuit of nostalgia should I try one, would I truly like it and which model?

The Match 440 models have a fancy bail arm which opens on the cast with a trip mechanism. Look at some pics to see. 300 and 410 models have a normal bail arm. Iconic and classic, if you're looking for something to buy.

Some will decry them, but don't be put off - they sold in millions, were used by the best anglers and last for decades. Every fish I caught for twenty years was reeled in with one of those three.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pretty much everything I've bought since 1991 is in my possession and still functional. I've sold and given away some bits and bobs along the way and much of that I know is still functioning for the new owners. I have a nasty tendency to upgrade and replace long before I use something to death.

I still have my very first rod and reel, an Edgar Sealey Black Arrow 2 and Abu 505. I have no use for either, but they are still functional. I don't know for sure, but I believe both are older than I am.

The only rubbish that has been disposed of, or broken, was the childhood stuff that was subject to a paper round/pocket money budget or being bought for me by relatives that had no knowledge of angling.

rayner

Reaction score
My 440A is looking quite shabby because of the alloy the body is made from is suffering from oxidation making the paintwork look in a state. The action is sound so the reel works well especially for its age.
Saved me a few quid, I have the urge to use it when I eventually get fishing again. I'll pledge at the moment not to use my pole. To rely on running line with waggler or feeder will make a nice change for me. It could be if we're lucky toward the end of the year to fish again.
Far too late for me this year to fish paste so skimmers and roach will make a change through colder months. Fishing for a few carp, not for me this year.
Roll on.

Forgot to mention my Boss seat box, it's a system 8. I've used it every time I've fished since I bought it in 84. It's certainly not looking its age, everything works as it should. The only thing noticeably old is the Boss box sticker that's lost all its colour.
I've also a few pins that are very shabby looking, J W Young Trudex, Grice and Young Avon Royal and a Grice and Young Golden Eagle

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Heres a pic of a few of my older reels that I keep in the back of a drawer. The only three that still occasionally get used are an Abu cardinal 55 reel which I occasionally use when I’m surface fishing for Carp, the Black Cat centrepin that I occasionally use when I’m using the lift bite method for Tench, and the Abu506. However they have all stood the test of time and are all still working.

I also have three old Shakespeare Sigma reels and a couple of Diawa baitrunner reels from around 15 to 20 years ago and a couple of the original Shimano baitrunners from around that time and all of these are still serviceable.

I have a Richard Walker B James & Son MkIV Carp rod which has seen better days and is missing a lot of its varnish, plus I have a Diawa Amorphous Whisker ‘Harrier Match’ Light Float rod which looks almost new looking and which I still occasionally use with an old Team Diawa S2553 Match reel on the canal (see pic)

I still have a couple of small items that my father gave me a long time ago like a milbro lesney bread press and also a small Milbro Hook tying device (see pic below) which is still usable.

I also have an old Heron bite indicator

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
If I would have kept everything I've bought over the years i'd live in Windsor Castle,as I find things arent being used for several years I tend to flog on,so when the next love affair starts ive got room for it,that is apart from certain items which have memories tied to them.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Thinking about this I am still using lures I bought at Ken Lathams at Potter Heigham in 1970. He had the best selection of American lures back then. Also a ABU 5000c multiplier bought at the same time not used much now because it’s right handed I now use left handed ones.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I can understand people hanging onto a Mitchell reel for nostalgic reasons but they just do not compare to modern reels. If you enjoy using them then by all means do so but please dont tell me they are as good as modern reels.

I got over my nostalgia last year when armfuls of old rods, several mitcheels and a few shimanos were released back into the wild. Having kept them for years I lost not a seconds sleep over their departure.

Reaction score
In my years fishing matches,99% of it was with mitchells,I carried two 300's and two matches(440's),at the time they were the best,but once Shimano delved,then Daiwa they were a poor relation imho,the reels I use today are better in every way,certainly even today those Mitchells would be goodish reels,but not in the same street as many modern reels,that said good anglers could win matches on an Intrepid Black Prince if they chose to use one...

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench, don't waste your money. The bail arm turns the wrong way, awful clutch, awful line lay and they wind like an old fashioned hand food whisk!

steve2

Reaction score
My first fixed spool reel was a Pinto, than a monarch and then Mitchell's 300,410,308 that I used for over 30 years, they were good reels. Not sure if any of the reels I now own will last out 30years of abuse.
I still remember those reels but I couldn't tell you what models of reels I now own.
I never knew that Mitchell's bail arms turned the wrong way I just used them and never had a problem with line lay

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

It is green, the butt is in red and ribbed with screw off end cap. ( sounds like a sex toy ) , I will check later what model or number it is, All the sections are put in. I cant remember what elastic i had in it, possibly a 6, i reckon it's that strong it would make a brilliant margin pole,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
My 440A is looking quite shabby because of the alloy the body is made from is suffering from oxidation making the paintwork look in a state. The action is sound so the reel works well especially for its age.
Saved me a few quid, I have the urge to use it when I eventually get fishing again. I'll pledge at the moment not to use my pole. To rely on running line with waggler or feeder will make a nice change for me. It could be if we're lucky toward the end of the year to fish again.
Far too late for me this year to fish paste so skimmers and roach will make a change through colder months. Fishing for a few carp, not for me this year.
Roll on.

Forgot to mention my Boss seat box, it's a system 8. I've used it every time I've fished since I bought it in 84. It's certainly not looking its age, everything works as it should. The only thing noticeably old is the Boss box sticker that's lost all its colour.
I've also a few pins that are very shabby looking, J W Young Trudex, Grice and Young Avon Royal and a Grice and Young Golden Eagle

The stickers can be bought on ebay, as for the pins a little wire wool and light oil will clean them up. Then when dry coat with a matt finish varnish .

John Keane

Reaction score
I’m afraid there is no room for nostalgia in my garage. I am constantly selling and replacing tackle in the search for “perfection”. Occasionally I recognise that some of the stuff I have is the best I’m ever going to do and those items become keepers. At present those items are a Drennan Series 7 Ex-Strong Carp Match 3.3m Landing Net Handle as it’s strong and versatile and can be used in 3 different configurations. Nash Indulgence Sub-Lo Camo Chair, Daiwa Matchwinner 10/11ft Feeder Rod, MAP Dave Harrell Match 14ft Trotter, Harrison GTi Match 12ft Waggler and JW Young Purist 2 Centrepin. If I live for another 20 years (until 90) and can still go fishing, I’ll re-visit this thread and list them all over again. Until then all other items of tackle are, at best, transitory.