An item of tackle which has stood the test of time

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It took me a while but I found the Sanford photo of that reel on the actual rod . . . . I really must sort out my picture files one day

walkerreel.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
I had a Mitchell 410 years ago, purchased early 70s, always remember it had a sticker on opposite side to the handle which said high speed 4 to 1.

I suppose it was then, I think most reels were 3 to 1 in those days,

Remember buying one called a Garcia gallion, it had either a nylon or plastic body, one seasons spinning for salmon and sea trout trashed it.

The first proper fixed spool reel I bought was an intrepid elite, that’s quite a while ago now, at the time it was a decent reel.

I also have an Abu Garcia, Cardinal 654 GT, it was Abu attempt at making a bait runner reel, not brilliant, when you turned the handle to disengage the baitrunner it sometimes stuck half way, would be late 70s to early 80s.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
If I was in the UK I would be making an offer, particularly for the zander rod!

With all this Brexit "stuf" (not the first four letter word in my mind!) I wonder what problems it would encounter if posted! Even an Angling Direct order I placed is taking forever to get here!

Perhaps you can PM me your contact details and I will be in touch if I am back in the UK. With Covid about even that planning is on hold!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Steve, are you aware there is a French based Angling direct site, surprisingly anglingdirect.fr !? I’ve also used Pacific pêche.fr successfully though prefer to use their shop in Brive.
Hopefully we’ll get to meet up for a fish before too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I also have an Abu Garcia, Cardinal 654 GT, it was Abu attempt at making a bait runner reel, not brilliant, when you turned the handle to disengage the baitrunner it sometimes stuck half way, would be late 70s to early 80s.

I remember them very well. For some strange reason, I was slightly obsessed with them. My memory is that they were mid to late eighties vintage. I was thirteen in '85. Exactly the time I would have been very interested and totally unable to actually buy them. By the time I could have bought them, they were discontinued and the Shimano Baitrunners were the only show in town.

In much the same way as I occasionally toy with the idea of buying a Mitchell Match, I occasionally look at these Abus on eBay. It's nice to hear a user report after all these years. It makes resisting such a purchase even easier.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Steve, are you aware there is a French based Angling direct site, surprisingly anglingdirect.fr !? I’ve also used Pacific pêche.fr successfully though prefer to use their shop in Brive.
Hopefully we’ll get to meet up for a fish before too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes Roger, it's the AD France site I order from. I think it will just be an office at best, so far my many orders on the FR website have all come from Peterborough, UK. Usually in good time as well!

Maybe that will change now? I put in an order for just 35 euros as a trial run after that hopeless Brexit Deal was signed off. I have heard plenty of stories from other Brits here about parcels and orders from UK being delayed and often having various charges applied. It's a right carry-on to send a small parcel to the UK as well!

I have had good service from Pecheur.com and their Chasseur.com as well, but their range not as good as AD.

Had some problems with Pacific Peche, basically they took my money for sale goods they did not have in stock. Then it took a month of emails and a couple of phone calls to get the refund!

I have recently found Feedershop. fr but have not ordered from them yet. They seem to have a good range of useful end gear and also groundbaits etc.

As you will know, France can be expensive for these things........and service often sadly lacking. Not a problem specific to France I know, maybe it's the language that makes it seem worse! :unsure:

flightliner

Reaction score
Does anyone here remember a Mitchell reel with an inbuilt alarm?
A good one for forward running fish but not so for one coming towards the user unless using an indicator.
My tackle shop were selling them but it was around the time when baitrunners came onto scene.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Sorry to go back a page but which Mitchell had the torpedo shaped handle instead of the flat twisted one, was it the 440?
The 410 had a topedo handle but so did the original 440 (see 1960s adverts) which became the Match at which point it acquired the twist handle. The 6:1 ratio Match, the 840 model had three incarnations, the 840 with torpedo handle, the 840 Match with twist handle and 840A Match with twist handle and reinforced stem.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Does anyone here remember a Mitchell reel with an inbuilt alarm?
A good one for forward running fish but not so for one coming towards the user unless using an indicator.
My tackle shop were selling them but it was around the time when baitrunners came onto scene.

Yes, I remember them. I also remember another brand did similar (may have been DAM). My memory is that they were from some time in the nineties.

Deejay8

Reaction score
I've got a 39 year old Shakespeare Team box, fitted with a 28 year old Topbox. I have a 38 year old Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft rod, a 30 year-old Daiwa Graphite Whisker 13ft match rod, a 28 year old DAM Quick Finesse Match reel, and a 27 year old Shimano M25 reel. All in good condition and hopefully going to get plenty of use in coming years.

John Aston

Reaction score
The oldest bit of tackle that gets regular use , because it is still perfectly fit for purpose, is a 1994 Hardy Sovereign fly rod , followed by a late Nineties Fox rucksack. The oldest item I still use is the Match Aerial my mum bought for my 16th birthday in 1968 - but that is for sentimental means, as my Okuma pin is far more fit for purpose .

I have no real affinity with 99% of my gear - it's a means to an end , and if something better comes along I get rid of the old stuff and replace it with new stuff. I wouldn't be paid to use most of the old tut I had decades ago .

I regard using old gear - especially cane rods and clunky old reels- as a bit like driving a Morris Minor . It can be fun , but you won't get anywhere quickly , you will be hopelessly outperformed by modern equivalents, you'll need to spend lots of time under the bonnet and , however charming it looks , sooner or later it will let you down and you'll wish you'd have bought a Golf .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The first proper fixed spool reel I bought was an intrepid elite, that’s quite a while ago now, at the time it was a decent reel.
I bought one of them about 3 years ago for £12. Not sure why but it was in a antique shop and I just had a moment. I am not normally into reels. It is a bit of a heavy lump and I have never used it. It has KP Morritts Intrepid Elite on the logo. But all working well so it has stood the test the time.

chevin4

Reaction score
I bought one of them about 3 years ago for £12. Not sure why but it was in a antique shop and I just had a moment. I am not normally into reels. It is a bit of a heavy lump and I have never used it. It has KP Morritts Intrepid Elite on the logo. But all working well so it has stood the test the time.
In some ways the Elite was innovative it was the first reel to be equipped with a roller pick-up at the suggestion of Richard Walker. I had one for years it was certainly a trade up on my first reel which was very much entry level

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In some ways the Elite was innovative it was the first reel to be equipped with a roller pick-up at the suggestion of Richard Walker. I had one for years it was certainly a trade up on my first reel which was very much entry level
Your right just had a look it has a roller although in my experience I find they don't work, they usually cease up fairly easily, even on sea reels. I have noticed one thing; three settings for the ratchet lever at the back of the reel, up and down fully is ratchet (down is anti reverse and up is free either way but with ratchet noise) and middle setting is free either way but quiet.

chevin4

Reaction score
The oldest bit of tackle that gets regular use , because it is still perfectly fit for purpose, is a 1994 Hardy Sovereign fly rod , followed by a late Nineties Fox rucksack. The oldest item I still use is the Match Aerial my mum bought for my 16th birthday in 1968 - but that is for sentimental means, as my Okuma pin is far more fit for purpose .

I have no real affinity with 99% of my gear - it's a means to an end , and if something better comes along I get rid of the old stuff and replace it with new stuff. I wouldn't be paid to use most of the old tut I had decades ago .

I regard using old gear - especially cane rods and clunky old reels- as a bit like driving a Morris Minor . It can be fun , but you won't get anywhere quickly , you will be hopelessly outperformed by modern equivalents, you'll need to spend lots of time under the bonnet and , however charming it looks , sooner or later it will let you down and you'll wish you'd have bought a Golf .
I am with you on this. As a bit of a tackle tart I am always selling gear and updating it. Over the years I must have sold a dozen reels inc centrepins and maybe 50 rods some of which I regret selling. For me rods and reels are tools a means to an end. Having said that I have an original Swallow centerpin which I use occasionally as it was given to me by an old friend I am therefore very reluctant to sell it. I would love a Barder cane rod without doubt a lovely thing to own but I fear it would end up as a very expensive ornament.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still have an old Shakespeare Top Box which I used to use when I fishing club matches on the canal where I needed to sit upright when using a float rod, a whip or a Pole. I kept it just incase I decide to start fishing my canal again.

It still has a few pole rigs and other tackle bits and pieces in it; plus I have lots of external add on pole rests and different arms for various things plus an arm for a brolley, and add on bait trays etc. Plus it has a very comfortable padded seat with a Pole groove in it.

I know it isn’t brilliant as far as this type of seat is concerned but it has still served its purpose quite well over the years and has lasted me for a long time, so I won’t be throwing it away just yet.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think that looks pretty good Keith, not my thing, I need a back rest but something to hang on to. I have one of those green Effego seat and tackle bags. the legs need a bit of doing up as they are a bit rusty but apart from that it looks as good as new; another item that has stood the test I would think.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A couple of pics, the Morrits elite reel, a bit scuffed but working. heavy reel though, that's the thing with a lot of old stuff but maybe that's why they last, they were built to. The old bag/seat is heavy too, it has been stuck in my man bolt and full of old reels and bits but would still be good with a clean up.
100_0722.JPG
100_0721.JPG