An item of tackle which has stood the test of time

Dangler40

Reaction score
I have a Mitchel reel in the cupboard that must be old but it looks as though it is still very usable. Rod wise apart from the antiques I buy which is different, I still use a Shakespeare float rod that I have had for about 15 years. I only paid £10 for it I think in a second hand shop and never found any reason to complain about it. It must be older than 15 years, I suspect it will do me now for the rest of my natural. Caught all sorts up to about 6lb including some hard fighting fish, which is about its limit. I doubt it will compare to some of the very expensive ones but for what it is, I think it has always been a good rod to me. Bonus is it has a cork handle and a dull green color, good ring settings and as light as I ever want a rod of this type, 12ft which is about ideal for a general purpose rod. Nothing to fault really.

Wasn't a Shakespeare Excelsior XL rod was it Mark ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Actually I got the make wrong in that post Dangler, it is a Sundridge Nebular carbon 12ft match rod. not a Shakespeare.

Steve King

Reaction score
I have a third hand Normark Titan; I must look up the number and date it more accurately.

I have a Contact 4000 French manufactured closed face reel from the 90s. It’s useable, but I prefer my ancient Abu 505 because it’s lighter and the gears feel smoother.

I have an unopened packet of Woolworths sea hooks and a little tin of (banned) lead split shot.

My Ambassadeur 5000C dates from the 70s as does the Abu Caster 152 bait aster rod I pair it with.

Deejay8

Reaction score
I still have an old Shakespeare Top Box which I used to use when I fishing club matches on the canal where I needed to sit upright when using a float rod, a whip or a Pole. I kept it just incase I decide to start fishing my canal again.

It still has a few pole rigs and other tackle bits and pieces in it; plus I have lots of external add on pole rests and different arms for various things plus an arm for a brolley, and add on bait trays etc. Plus it has a very comfortable padded seat with a Pole groove in it.

I know it isn’t brilliant as far as this type of seat is concerned but it has still served its purpose quite well over the years and has lasted me for a long time, so I won’t be throwing it away just yet.

Keith
That's a nice bit of kit. I've got the same cushion on mine.

bracket

Reaction score
I have Speedia centre pin I bought in 1957 for 54 shilling. I use it occasionally, generally when nobodys looking. I also have a battered fifty year old blue Shakespeare tackle box I use regularly on the river. It's an old friend I'm loathed to part with. Together we have walked the banks of almost ever major river in England, plus untold minor ones. Pete

ian g

Reaction score
I've still got one with the leg attachments in the loft . I don't use it because I like to roam , though I usually start with that intention and don't bother

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t have a Shakespeare bottom box (only a top box with legs) but I wish I did have one as It would perfect for using on the beach without me constantly sinking into the sand or pebbles whenever I’m doing a bit of sea fishing on the beach :)

Keith

Last edited: