An item of tackle which has stood the test of time

mikench

Reaction score
Have you got such an item whether it be a rod, reel, gadget, landing net handle or tackle box.

I don't, except for a Dinesmores landing net which I still ûse after 4 years despite it being repaired with epoxy resin. It cost about £10 but i can't bring myself to throw it out. Each time I buy a replacement it ends up as an addition.

steve2

Reaction score
I have a couple of centrepin reels that I bought in the 60's that are still in use a Rapidex and Trudex. A bit battered but usable. I have other stuff that is over 40 years old and no longer used so to me it hasn't stood the test of time.

mikench

Reaction score
Surely if it's over 40 years old and remains perfectly useable it has stood the test of time even if you no longer use it?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have a Mitchel reel in the cupboard that must be old but it looks as though it is still very usable. Rod wise apart from the antiques I buy which is different, I still use a Shakespeare float rod that I have had for about 15 years. I only paid £10 for it I think in a second hand shop and never found any reason to complain about it. It must be older than 15 years, I suspect it will do me now for the rest of my natural. Caught all sorts up to about 6lb including some hard fighting fish, which is about its limit. I doubt it will compare to some of the very expensive ones but for what it is, I think it has always been a good rod to me. Bonus is it has a cork handle and a dull green color, good ring settings and as light as I ever want a rod of this type, 12ft which is about ideal for a general purpose rod. Nothing to fault really.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Where do I start?

Various Mitchell Matches, at least two still in regular use after 40 years ownership.

ABU 506 bought from a mate 40 years ago - he got it in 1972.

An alloy landing net handle still in use after 48 years - it's been run over by a car, bent by a horse. It did need a replacement brass thread in 1985.

A Shakespeare Boron Mach 2 rod still in use, bought in 1984.

Various Normark rods I've owned from 1987 onwards, still in use.

Shakespeare box owned and still in use from 1987.

A bait tray designed by me, made by a mate in 1980.

The Runner

Reaction score
Abu 501, bought for me as a 21st birthday present by my then girlfriend in 1976.
Still working fine, last used earlier this year on visit down south. (the reel, not the girlfriend...)

Unlike her, it's never needed servicing.

wetthrough

Reaction score
My rod holdall which is an old Leeda and around 20+ yrs old although wasn't much used for around 5 of those years. Still as good as it was when I bought it. Zips still good, no holes and a Dam landing net handle of about the same age, still sound.

steve2

Reaction score
Surely if it's over 40 years old and remains perfectly useable it has stood the test of time even if you no longer use it?

In that case I have a shed half full of old stuff that is not worn out and could still be used.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Had to think hard on this question!

Three items come to mind, oldest is an ABU 501. Bought when they first came on the market and I caugt plenty of roach trotting the river Gipping with that. Put away for many years when I started sea fishing. Then got used for grayling when I moved to Scotland and fished the river Earn, plenty of seatrout there as well! Finally it's getting occasional use on the river Lot in France. Needed its first service here as the grease had gone hard.

Next I have a Gerber multi-tool pliers thingy. Bought in Florida and has served me very well.

Last is a rod, Browning Carboxy pike telescopic 11'. Remarkable rod, not a fast action but is tippy enough to have bite detection when needed. Had thornback ray to 14lb in the Scottish sea lochs, many pike, a few barbel this last winter when the river was high. Remarkable casting rod for its unremarkable action and short butt. A balanced rod in the hand and it is great for travelling. Wish I could find the zander version of this rod!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I'm still using the little Milbro bait box that accompanied me (with 6 penn'orth of maggots) on my first fishing trip in 1963, to a backwater of the Thames at Chertsey (I blanked).

Reaction score
Well,an interesting thread this Mike,I have an Allcocks match aerial,good working order,I bought it second hand from the then Vauxhall match secretary(**** Morris for silvers) for five quid,that was early 70's,god knows how old it actually is,I have a Brennan and Hickman rod holdall of plastic coated cloth construction,mid-70's,for around fifteen years or so I couldnt use it as the carry strap gave out,but I got a decent strap from a Nash rod holdall(awful holdall)and found someone with an interlocker machine to put the strap on,I use it for all of my general fishing,three normark rods,all very good,even by todays standards and two aluminium home made hook tyers(based on the matchman)which I dont know what I'd do without,oh and here is probably a shocker for some,many years ago in the ad pages of the angling times there used to be a tiny ad for a mono called Golden Marlin,now it was cheap,very cheap,for a few quid you got a 4oz spool ,3lb bs you got 3100yds,2lb 3980yds,well I still have some 2,3,4,6lb spools,I still use it at times,in fact my catches on the float at the back end on the river was on the 3lb as mainline,that line must have been bought in the late eighties I would say,still sound,and kept in the box it came in,in the back of a drawer,Mick(flightliner)would award me honorary Yorkshire man status I reckon....

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
....... tiny ad for a mono called Golden Marlin,now it was cheap,very cheap,for a few quid you got a 4oz spool ,3lb bs you got 3100yds,2lb 3980yds,well I still have some 2,3,4,6lb spools,I still use it at times,in fact my catches on the float at the back end on the river was on the 3lb as mainline,that line must have been bought in the late eighties I would say,still sound,and kept in the box it came in,in the back of a drawer,Mick(flightliner)would award me honorary Yorkshire man status I reckon....

Brilliant! Never throw anything away is my moto. I still have small spools of light mono going back about 30 years - but "Golden Marlin"? That must be over 40 years if my memory is correct!

Always store your line in a cool, dark place. My experience is, unless it's a brand that goes stiff with time, it should keep its breaking strain for many decades!

Reaction score
Well thanks,Mick will be sending my award in the post,no doubt about it...:cool::wh

That said I let myself down in that regard as i'm partial to new rods and reels...:eek:mg:

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I have two ABU Cardinal 66 reels, one I bought new in 1975 and the other is older. Both work and are used when pike fishing.

A pair of Century Armalite 21/4lb 12ft carp rods, now used for pike fishing. Bought new and built by Simpsons of Turnford in 1991. Superb rods.

A Fred Crouch Aerial pin. I went to Fred's house and collected it. Fred is sadly no longer with us, what a nice man.

A Match Aerial 1960. Still runs beautifully.

A couple of my dad's old floats and his rod. At least 58 years old, he died in 1962.

I still have and use a bait dropper that I bought in about 1966.

Reaction score
I have a cardinal 66 too,hidden away,used to use it for flounder fishing....second hand purchase in the 70's...

Oh,and Hardy Avon 10ft,Fred J Taylor trotter 11ft 4in,both glass,the former cost £13 10s 6p,the latter I bought from Davis tackle in Christchurch for £17 19s 6p,both in decent nick,not worth much,just thousands of wonderful memories....

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a lot of what some refer to as vintage tackles; 501's, Mitchell 30's, various centrepins like Trudex and Rapidex and Avon Supremes, then a lot of Efgeco bits and pieces but the ones I think that get more regular use than anything else are my Efgeco bait boxes. The green ones with the cream plastic lids that superseded the aluminium ones.

I also have an Efgeco tackle box, the green canvas one, the Standard in very good condition and one of their ealy model landing nets.

I own a fair few split cane rods, MkIV's etc and try to give them an airing once or twice a year . . . . and I'd say that all of the above have stood the test of time . . .

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve also a Abu 501, various centrepins including a speedia, a Trudex, a Adcock Stanton, a Match Ariel, amongst others.

I’ve two usable cane rods, in fact one has a threaded top eye I was thinking of using with a swing tip, just for a change.

I’ve two Grays prodigy barbel rods in 1 1/2 lb test curve which are over twenty five years old, and still used.
Had plenty of barbel, carp, and tench and even salmon and sea trout on these, really like these rods, wouldn’t part with them.

Plus various fly boxes and other accessories which are getting on a bit, but still usable.

nottskev

Reaction score
Shimano, Daiwa, and Tricast rods from early 90's are still in regular use; even a Shimano pole. I've had two full spare poles as a back-up for this for years, and not needed to take them out of the cupboard yet.

A Boss Compact Canal seatbox - must be nearly 30 years old - still looks like new, and the shallow base, with a home-made lid and cushion, gets used when I only need a bit of gear. The platform/trolley I bought at the same time seems similarly indestructible.

A Mitchell 300 my dad bought me when I was 12. After about 25 years use - for many of them I had only the Mitchell 300 (leger) and Mitchell Match (float) - I gave it to a friend who came fishing occasionally, when kitting him out for our Irish Trips. He used it, and then later his lads who dabbled a bit. When he died in 2011, suddenly and aged only 55, I had the sad task, along with a couple of other friends, of finding homes for the floor-to-ceiling tools, machines and instruments in his garage workshop. The Mitchell 300 returned home - I'd prefer he still had it - and it's sitting here now, ready to be used.

A set of floats - insert peacock wagglers for the canal - still used when needed, and made when I was recuperating from an operation, so I can date them exactly to February 1977.

rob48

Reaction score
Boss Btec 4-drawer seatbox and numerous 501s, 506s, and a CF100 still in use on rivers.

Shimano Ultegra 390 FA
Shimano Ultegra 390 Response
Milo New era III 390 Supalite

The above rods are all in perfect condition following twenty years continual use, after purchasing in the early 90s. I don't use them any more as although I've only ever broken one rod I'd hate for anything to happen to them, and they are literally irreplaceable.

Also got a Shimano aero-Match III, Stradic and GTM rear-drag reels from the same period which all work fine.