An old Newbie!

jul3s

Reaction score
Started fishing, after a break of 35 years. got mysel;f a nice couple of Cadence rods and reels as want to get inmto float / waggler fishing again.

Back in the day, I would just sit on my shakespeare box, what do you guys currently sit on and why? looking for advice

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I personally use a chair and am on my third. I like the comfort of a chair plus arm rests are a help. I do have a box which I also find comfortable but do not use it much. I don't like sitting on either perpendicular to the waters edge so sit well back and a chair is , imo, better in this regard. Enjoy your fishing and your new tackle.

bracket

Reaction score
As Mike says welcome to the forum. Not a fan of chairs myself. If I float fish the river I prefer to be stood up. For still water fishing I have a Preston Inivations On Box which is well used, well liked and way past its sell by date. Never the less a good friend. Pete

nottskev

Reaction score
You didn't say what kind of waters you're planning to fish, and that makes a difference. I'm thinking you're not blessed with a lot of river fishing in Glossop (although I know the east Manchester Mersey tributaries have fish these days) and for river angling something portable is important as you're not generally fishing near the car park. There's an abundance of boxes with multiple trays/drawers and cassette footplates these days - every major tackle brand has versions on the market - but many of these are only viable for anglers at park-behind-your-peg commercials, as they can barely be lifted, much less carried any distance. I'd be looking at a compact box with a detachable footplate and a couple of drawers/trays as they combine comfort and manoeuverability. Personally, I wouldn't try to float fish from a chair - imo they're more for reading or watching tv. Anything with 4 adjustable legs will strike you, I think, as a massive step forward from the Shakespeare box which only worked satisfactorily on perfectly flat banks.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Welcome to the forum.
Similar to what Kev says, I use a chair if I am going feeder fishing on the gravel pits, apart from that it's a seatbox,
I used to have a Shakespeare box many years ago and I was lucky enough to be friends with the "Octoplus" rep.
He gave me a set of the adjustable legs to try out.When they were about to go on general release, Octoplus were looking for feedback from anglers. They were ideal for uneven banks.
If you still have your box and wish to save money. Pick a set of these up off eBay. Attachments such as side trays are still available.
Upto to date boxes have drawers both front and side ,tray units. ,Some have base units.
If you go down that route, decide if to need a footplate, some are removeble on boxes,some are not, they add extra weight, Go for an H frame box, you can adjust the height without adding extra drawer units,
The best river box I have found is and AS1 , Strong ,sturdy ,virtual bomb proof, some say heavy, but I would match it against any modern box with a similar capacity. .again you would have to look on eBay.

jul3s

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. When I say I had a shakespear box, I was 12 -16, i'm now nudging 60 and appreciate that i will be fishing lakes, more than rivers. Looking at joining a club like Stockport and District Anglers fedaration, as they have a better selection of waters than Glossop Angling club (which is mainly Carp). Not against carp, but not trophy style. Used to enjoy catching anything and that is the route I am currently following.

Thinking of getting a Matrix Accesory Chair, to begin with, as i will be carrying everything from my Astra (have no intention of changing it yet!!!

https://stockportanddistrictanglersfederation.com/

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
For me its horses for courses.
Fishing any method and styles I have numerous seats from a home made box, a comfy chair, another home made box to sit on in shallow water and a shooting style stick that I'll be using today on a local river- even a blow up cushion for those temporary breaks and mealtimes on the odd day when fly fishing.
All quite suitable on the day.
Hope you find what you're looking for and welcome to the forum!