An ominous dawn

mikench

Reaction score
I awoke to a crashing sound which on investigation was thunder. I took these pics as dawn was breaking to a backdrop of thunder and lightning.

IMG_8003.JPG

Th
IMG_8004.JPG

This was forecast but it's spectacular so long as you are not on the receiving end of torrential rain and flooding. It sounds as though it's worse in the mountains.

IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_8001.JPG

mikench

Reaction score
It's coming down like stair rods and the light is no brighter and may even be darker. The forecast said there was a 70% chance of rain. I pity anyone who fancied the 30% chances of no rain and are out in it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sky has much thicker cloud than that here Mike, and guess what....it's slashing down n'all. Prolly colder than your location also, hence no thunder or lightening.

mikench

Reaction score
The day after was wall to wall sunshine. Some of the thunderclaps were so loud they made you jump even though they were expected. Some of the forked lightning we get, not this time, illuminates the whole valley for a split second.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was working in Mississippi my drive to the site as along the Gulf Coast for about an hour. Almost every morning there would be a thunder storm with amazing sheet lightning.

Often I'd stop in a lay by just to watch the stotm.

Keith M

Reaction score
We once saw a Thunder and lightening storm without any clouds at all in the sky when I was in the RN, which I thought was very strange at the time, but I later found out that this is not that unheard of at certain times of the year out in the tropics.

Keith

Last edited: