Anglers’ Dismay over Cyanide Fish Kill on River Trent

Reaction score
If you're an FM member, and haven't joined the Angling Trust, this should ensure you do as soon as possible.

Given the coverage on radio 4 and the BBC Website I assume this is a mega-fish kill with real public health issues.

quote from the BBC Website;

"Alan Walters, from the Environment Agency, told BBC News the incident had had "a huge impact""

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
well Im sorry but AT or not this should still be against the law to protect walkers,dog walkers ,boat users ,sea life etc etc not just anglers

Reaction score
That's right Cakey. How is the early morning dog walker who hasn't read about this in the news supposed to know?

It's not just about catching fish. It's the environment WE ALL LIVE IN!

Penalties should be far greater.

Reaction score
Quite agree Cakey......whilst I appreciate this is predominantly a "civil matter" I assume the police are involved as it suggests to me a criminal negligence in terms of public and environmental safety.

Make the polluter pay...and in this case make the ****** pay big style - for all the damages, the cost of the public services in ensuring the safety of the public and a thwacking great fine as well.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The report on radio 5 this morning intimated it was in the Stoke area that this pollution occured without actually naming the place, does anyone know the scene of this latest kill?

I have fished many areas of the Trent but never any further up than Alrewas so I don't know the river any further up and I wasn't aware that it was a popular or prolific fishery.

Last edited:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I can't find out anything locally yet, there seems to be a blanket over any news, or they just don't know the source yet. It's worrying enough for all anglers, but it's a bloody nightmare for upper Trent and Dove anglers.

Sky News say:

"A Severn Trent spokesman told Sky News that he believed someone disposed of the cyanide in the sewage system and it then entered the local sewage treatment plant.

The Environment Agency is warning people to keep themselves and their pets away from the river between Stoke on Trent and Yoxall while the investigation is under way."

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
According to the lunchtime news toxic levels are nearly back to normal but being as high up as that I wouldn't have thought it would have polluted the Dove. Hopefully the toxicity would have been well and truly diluted by the time the flow reached Newton Solney.

The poison is believed to have entered at Stoke via the sewage treatment works but they are denying responsibility.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
well Im sorry but AT or not this should still be against the law to protect walkers,dog walkers ,boat users ,sea life etc etc not just anglers

That's correct, BUT in a few days time the alert will be over, the cyanide will have been diluted to safe levels and everyone and his mother will go back to enjoying life as it was.

EXCEPT THE ANGLERS who will suffer a loss of sport and pleasure for quite soem time to come. Only Angling Trust and Fish Legal can do something to seek compensation from the perpetrators (if found) and try to make sure it doesn't happen again. Sad thing is, it will because ar*eholes do not respect the environment.

Reaction score
Well I joined the Angling Trust today.

I've been 'meaning to do it' for a while now, but what with other financial commitments and 'forgetting about it', I never got round to doing it.

UNTIL THIS UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT.

It gave me the reminder I needed and I took the plunge.

£20 quid!

That's all it is.

They may not be the body that you think will 'represent angling' they way you want them to, BUT THEY ARE THE ONLY ORGANISATION SET UP TO TACKLE THE SORT OF POLUTERS WE HAVE HEARD ABOUT TODAY.

When are you going to join?

When your local river that you take for granted is ruined by a lethal discharge?

Do it now.

Go on, it's easy.

If you have trouble doing it on line then just ring em up and do it over the phone.

2 minutes is all it takes.

In fact, you just spent longer reading this thread than it takes to join The Angling Trust.

dezza

Reaction score
And what is making me very angry are the wide range of inane excuses why they should not join the AT that are being made by members of our sister website:

Fly Forums. Yes that's right - Fly Forums!

And most of them hide behind pseudonyms!

They are a bunch of cowards if you ask me!

I say they should be ashamed of themselves. We must present a united front against those who oppose us, not make a whole series of ridiculous statements that some of them have.:mad:

Last edited:
R

rob duran

Terrible news, I hope the polluters are caught. Saw it on the news earlier.

CAT

Reaction score
This is terrible news surely they have toxin sensors or testing procedures at sewage treatment plants that should have picked up the lethal chemicals prior to releasing anything into the river Trent?

Do we have any idea of just how many fish may have died as a result ?