Anglers prebaiting?

steve2

Reaction score
One of my clubs as just raised the limit on boiles from 2 to 4 kilos a day. There could now in theory be 100kilos of bait going in every day. This is a club that bans prebaiting.

thecrow

Reaction score
One of my clubs as just raised the limit on boiles from 2 to 4 kilos a day. There could now in theory be 100kilos of bait going in every day. This is a club that bans prebaiting.

Is this a heavily fished large water with a high biomass of fish per acre? 4kg a day on a big lightly fished water isn't a lot but on a small heavily fished one it seems a lot, how will the club bailiff this rule?

Philip

Reaction score

The thing is that prebaiting is a very general term. Prebaiting does not automtically mean baiting up with tons of bait for days or weeks in advance. You can just as easily "prebait" on the day you fish. I have often use that tactic myself in the past on rivers were I will "prebait" a swim a few times during the course of the day then move into it at dusk. It can be amazingly productive on the right venues.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Sounds like the sort of place were they end up with so many rules they may as well just ban angling altogether.

I would make it easy for them ...I would not even bother joining and let them & their rule book disapear up their own bottoms. :)

Rich P

Reaction score
I'm too tight to pre-bait, apart from the same-session variety. 2kg of boilies would last me a season. I also use pellets, however.

john step

Reaction score
My very recent attempt at prebaiting didn't have the result I aimed at.
Every evening for a week I popped to the lake and chucked out a handful of finely scissored pieces of left over fish and lamprey with the aim perhaps of one of those red letter days with the pike.

I had run after run after run on my pike bait. WITH NOTHING ON THE END. NOT EVEN A HINT OF FEELING A FISH. RUDDY PERCH!

I will be back with some suitable gear to sort them out.:D

Philip

Reaction score
Wouldnt surprise me if some Eels might take an interest too John...if there is any left that is..

thecrow

Reaction score
My very recent attempt at prebaiting didn't have the result I aimed at.
Every evening for a week I popped to the lake and chucked out a handful of finely scissored pieces of left over fish and lamprey with the aim perhaps of one of those red letter days with the pike.

I had run after run after run on my pike bait. WITH NOTHING ON THE END. NOT EVEN A HINT OF FEELING A FISH. RUDDY PERCH!

I will be back with some suitable gear to sort them out.:D

Someone I knew years ago swore by prebaiting for Pike, his method was to use any fish he could lay his hands on but in each swim he would put half a mackerel or herring tied to 2lb line the line being pegged to the bank, each time he baited up he checked to see if any of the tied baits were gone, the swims where they went the most were the ones he fished while continuing to prebait the others, hard work but he had some good pike doing it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Neat idea, but probably better done with a degradable (cotton) or digestible (silk) thread.
I can't think of anything that would benefit from swallowing a few metres of nylon with its brunch...

thecrow

Reaction score
Neat idea, but probably better done with a degradable (cotton) or digestible (silk) thread.
I can't think of anything that would benefit from swallowing a few metres of nylon with its brunch...

As far as I know he tied lots of knots in the line to weaken it, I doubt the 2lb line would survive the pikes teeth much beyond the bait.

Philip

Reaction score
Barrie Rickards wrote about tying deadbaits to cotton...he said in some cases the bait would be left for weeks and helped them to discount certain areas.

Not sure it would work so well were i am as the rats would have it within hours!

Ps - its impossible to type replies on a mobile device without hitting the thanks button by mistake ! ...hence the above thanks - sorry Graham ...

flightliner

Reaction score
Ps - its impossible to type replies on a mobile device without hitting the thanks button by mistake ! ...hence the above thanks - sorry Graham ...

Ditto, it happened to a few days ago when I tapped a dislike to someone I hold in high regard.
It was only a few days later that I noticed it by sheer chance and rectified things with a pm.

Another Dave

Reaction score
As far as I know he tied lots of knots in the line to weaken it, I doubt the 2lb line would survive the pikes teeth much beyond the bait.

According to my cost / benefit analysis the free lunch would outweigh the stringy poo.

Philip

Reaction score
I don't understand why :confused: are anglers that feed 2 lines not fishing one for a while prebaiting?

This is getting confusing.

So if I cast first then throw in the maggots I am feeding... but if I throw in the maggots first and then cast am I prebaiting ? :D