Angling Takes Another Hit

D

David Miller

Has anyone looked at the PETA web site lately?
It is full of mis-information put about by very odd people who's sole belief is that everyone should be vegans and have miserable lives with no hobbies and pastimes! They also have another agenda that bans any form of pets, so no dogs or cats allowed, I don't mind the cat ban, damn things keep crapping in my garden!

Have a look at the site and be afraid, be very afraid

http://www.peta-online.org/feat/dogfish/index.html

S

Stewart Bloor

There is an article in today's Daily Mail (page 28) that shows a swan with a hook inside its neck (x-ray).

The comment from the sanctuary owner says ' June and July were the worst months for swans being injured by fishing tackle as inexperienced young anglers set up camp on the riversides'

D

Dave Beal

After watching friday night live or what ever you call it, It became obviouse that these mad yanks, who should'nt even be teling us what to do in our own country, only had one agenda, that being to conform eveyone to thier religion.
This deranged yank loon even wants to ban pet shops and stop you from eating fishfingers.
it is totaly amazing that this b..ch bangs on about the enviroment yet America is the biggest polluter in the world.
Iam sorry if it offends anyone but what I say is this yank cow should f off back to her own country and sought that out befor she trys to pread her poisionous views in our contry, and good riddons to bad trash

D

Del Jarman

Dave,never has a nail been hit so squarely on the head. Well said mate.

T

Tony Ryan

i agree with dave the yanks are afraid to complain about their owm problems lets tell other countries to clean their country up .hoping that we don!t notice what they are doing to the world as a whole, when they sort their own country out then they will be able to shout at other countries

R

Ray Keane

PETA my be the best thing that has ever happened to our love of fishing, you know the old saying you never know what you had till its gome.
I realy hope that the above mentioned organisation will put more pressure to bear on all aspects of angling as this may well be the kick up the arse we all need.
It's about time we all sang from the same hyme book.

T

Tony Ryan

lets put peta right on a few thing if it was not for angling clubs some canal banks and river banks and rivers and lakes would not be cleared so that people can enjoy them to walk ,let alone fish and boat .the british waterways are given money in revenue fromfishing clubs to help with this ,what about disable people that get pleasure out of this action ,do they sit at home like cabbages or do they get out and enjoy themselfs. PETA are out tostop all people enjoying themself .they should try and get alife.

S

Steve Baker

Lead shot and swans, during he F&M crisis comercial fisheries were still open and for some bloody reason these seem to be full of wildfowl. Last year a pair of swans raised seven bloody young swans to maturety. Coots are in abundance, ducks are everywhere, and why is this? extra food put in by us anglers, as any bird watcher or wildlife trust believes if you look after the birds then all of the other wildlife thrives aswell. Hooks and line in the waterfowl is a problem but alot of water owners are responsible and help them or call the RSPCA out.

What are the symptoms of lead poisoning in wildfowl anyway and how come its always in swans?

D

David Miller

Did anyone read the Jeremy Paxman article in The Mail on Sunday? He does not like PETA!
As for lead poisoning, all the wb sites I could find all say that lead poisoning is gradual and builds up with a repeated intake of lead. So, how, according to the media, can it happen so quickly in June? Also I checked out the Swan Sanctuary site and they say that deaths due to lead poisoning is dropping! Up yours PETA!

R

Ron Clay

The truth is, Peta won't really get very far in the States. Fishing and Hunting are deeply entrenched there and very much part of the American way of life.

However Britain is a soft touch. That's why they are here. No other reason.

V

vince battams

had a reply back from eastmidlands today regarding the issue of lead poisoning against swans, basically all that has been said is the matter is going to be looked into and if the resulting information is unsatisfactory then to contact them further.
They also went on to say that with angling that they always try to take a responsible, fair and balanced view of the activity, that they don't offer opinion just express views of others[ i wonder will they lets us express our views on behalf of fm and anglers today graham go for it].
they have apologised that they have given me cause for concern and that hopefully when i get further replies after the matter has been looked at that this will set my mind at rest that they have no hidden agenda.

K

Kevan Farmer

I too have finally had a reply from the journalist/reporter responsible for the article. However, all I have received so far is a promise to get back in touch with a full account. Maybe it was his last e-mail of the day. I shall reserve judgement until I have a full explanation. Once received I'll post the e-mail here.

Kevan

R

Rob Brownfield

I got even less...All i got was.."I shall respond fully later".

Guess he was well pi**ed off by then..lol

S

Stewart Bloor

I don't think it's fair to blame Americans in general for the ills of groups such as PETA. In fact, the average American is not a supporter, or even in general agreement with their cause.

Blaming a whole nation for the actions of a few radicals is like directing an outburst at all English people and calling us all violent, just because a few misbehave sometimes on the Continent from time to time.

Indeed groups such as PETA are truly cosmopolitan in their make up. The general broad band that they fall into, 'eco-terrorists' is just as likely to contain as many Europeans as North Americans.

Regarding PETA's focus, it is as defined by their title, concentrated on animals. So in fairness to them, the issues of American pollution levels isn't on their agenda as a group. However, we can rest 100% certain that they, as part of the broad band, wouldn't take an attitude of 'we'll turn a blind eye to what is going on in the USA'.

J

Jerry Stapylton

I have a swan story.A little before the start of this season, while walking round a local lake, I found a swan which was obviously sick.I phoned the RSPCA, gave directions, then picked it up and carried it for about half a mile to be near the access road when the inspector arrived.2hours later, nothing, so I phoned again. I was informed that they ,the RSPCA, had just one inspector on duty to cover Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire and it may take him /her some time to respond to my call, so I should not wait around. A lorry driver was parked up nearby for the night so I explained the situation to him, and he said he would show the inspector the dratted bird's location when he arrived.The next day I went over to the lake in the late morning and the swan had gone.Good, thought I, mission accomplished.At 12.30pm I had a call on my mobile from the RSPCA inspector to say that she was on her way and could I give her more precise directions.All I can say is that I gave her some very precise directions!!I imagine a very happy fox with a full belly that night. Nice work RSPCA.

R

Ray Bewick

I don't 'like' fox hunting should i join PETA?

Once joined - I don't like PETA's agenda could I change it?

I know nothing about these people, are they democratic if so is the above possible? and would it work if enough followed suit!!!!! ;-)---)

RSPCA had a fright a couple of years ago did they not!.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have also reported a sick swan (Hit by a motorboat). I was told that I could either bring the bird to the local office, or an inspector would come and collect it. Not wanting a swan in the car, i told them where it was. This was at 9am. No one had arrived by 9pm that night. I phonned the next day to be told that they could not send anyone out as there are no vans available. Seems the SSPCA (Scottish RSPCA) is under manned like every worthy cause.

S

Steve Baker

I tink the problem lie with people calling the inspectors out for trivial things like dying pigeons and rats!

C

Carp Angler

Or they're too busy making TV shows with Rolf 'I can't tell the truth either' Harris