Angling Takes Another Hit

K

Kevan Farmer

I have finally received the long awaited e-mail about the news item. Here it is in full:

Hi Kevin.

I am sorry you were unhappy about my report on lead poisoning in Swans,
and
apologise for taking nearly two weeks to respond to your complaint.

The report was based on a study being carried out by the Swan Rescue
Centre
at Driotwich, which, along with other rescue centres across the country,
is
compiling new statistics for the Environment Agency.

The lunchtime edition focused on the Swan Rescue Centre's most recent
work
on this. They had recovered Swans suffering from lead poisoning, and the
lead had been identified as that from Angling because of the way it
breaks
down in the birds digestive system. Nonetheless, I did make efforts to
include an Angling point of view, but unfortunately, the Birmingham
Anglers
Association were unable to help. This was in spite of our offer to visit
any
one of their members wherever they were in the Midlands.

As an alternative, I contacted a local fishing supplier and keen angler.
He
kindly agreed to participate, but unfortunately, by then it was too late
to
include him in our lunchtime edition. His views were broadcast later
though,
and included the ban on lead weights, the type of lead that can be used,
and
the view that the shooting fraternity may be responsible for much of the
Swan poisoning.

As a backdrop to this though, the fact is that Swans are still dying
from
lead shot used by anglers. This is substantiated by official Environment
Agency information. A summary of their most recent data states:

* the restrictions on lead fishing weights imposed in 1987 has
significantly
reduced the frequency of lead poisoning in mute Swans. However, there
are
still some local incidences of lead poisoning which are being
investigated
further.

* tackle-related injuries are the biggest single cause of Swan rescues.

I hope I have answered your complaint and hope you appreciate that in a
one-minute fifteen-second news report, it is only possible to cover the
key
issues.

Kevin Reide
Broadcast Journalist
BBC Midlands Today

So there you go. According to this guy it was the Environment Agency who gave him the statistics about swans and lead poisoning. Thank you EA!

I have replied, thanking him for being so open about the item and have asked if I could have a contact in the EA who gave him the statistical info'. I don't know whether he will be able to furnish me with a name as confidentiality may come into it. We shall see. I did point out that if a swan has been found dead then it is a simple matter to find out if it has died due to angler's lead shot. I mentioned the fact of shot being either split, in which case it is angler's, or if it is whole then it must be from a spent shotgun cartridge.

Perhaps next time he will strive to give a more balanced view whatever time the report goes out.

Kevan

R

Rob Brownfield

I had another reply as well as the one above. I asked how a vet could tell the difference between fishing and shooting lead shot...here is the reply...

"Rob

The latest report is due to be published in September and I shall be keeping
an eye out for it. If you want to find out more about past reports, can I
suggest you try the Environment Agency's website. If you have no success
please get back to me. I would offer you a number but the one I have is for
the Press Office and it's ex-directory.

As for the lead identification, according to a veterinary surgeon who I
spoke to, a Swan doesn't have a stomach but instead a "guzzet" where food is
ground down. Gun lead crumbles, whereas fishing lead stays in one piece and
becomes flattened and oval. That's as much as I know.

Kevin"

I am amazed that a Swan can flatten lead in its stomach!!!..What do u think?

S

Steve Baker

If gun lead crumbles then it is much more likely to be absorbed into the swans blood stream. Also if it can be crumbled by a swans stomach wouldn't is be useless in a gun as it would shatter every where?

K

Kevan Farmer

What rubbish! Lead is lead. Their are differences in plumbing style lead - chemical lead is special alloy - but it will still behave the same. If one lead crumbles so will another.

Kevan

P

Phil Hackett

Sorry about this, had to re-register as I've change my e-mail address due to computer problems.

Far be it for me to cast aspiration in the directions of the Swan Rescue people and a vet, but the premise of ingested lead and how its identified has change considerable from the scientific reports that brought about the ban in the first place.

Whilst the science behind everything does move on, this is the first time I've come across this explanation (gunshot lead crumbles). From memory of reading all the reports at the time, the reason give in connection to identifying the source of lead, was that anglers lead always showed up on the X-rays with a split in it.

I'll dig out the papers on it and re-read them, to confirm it.

Watch this space!

P

Phil Hackett

As I said in the earlier post, I’d re-read the papers I have on the issue of lead poisoning in waterfowl. I’ve now done that and can find NO evidence in the literature to support what the vet has told the Journalist. It is as I thought it was, identifiable by the split in the shoot.

I also found this on one of the Swan Rescue sites

For the last two years, Jan Harrigan, founder of Wychbold Swan Rescue near Droitwich has been taking blood samples from almost every full grown swan coming into her care from wherever, and for whatever reason. These samples are sent to Keele University for analysis. This reveals 65% of these birds are 'leaded'.

Now were does it state that the lead is from anglers shot!

Were all of the birds X-rayed to establish that they contained any shot of any description?

If not why not?

Are we again being blamed for something that we have not done?

Remember, leadshot has been banned since 1987 and for two years before we had a voluntary ban.

Oh and by the way, swan numbers have gone up by 35% over the last few years!

Me thinks someone is trying to sell Pork Pie on this one!

R

Rob Brownfield

maybe we should put together a response to any lead problems...

K

Kevan Farmer

Well folks, some good news for once. I have received a belated reply from the journalist who ran this original story on BBC news programmes. He has been true to his word and has followed up my complaints to his article. He is in the process of putting together another report which sounds as if it will be favourable for angling. I have offered any help I can give.

Kevan

D

david granger

i wonder if any "body" has looked into the petrol issue almost since conception petrol
outboards have been pumping the exaust gases staight into the water "its cheaper than a silencer"
and our friends the swans drink said water continually. also regarding grinding the lead down the can
waterfowl keep hundreds of small stones in their gizzard to break up their food so even finding
a leadshot seems remote unless swallowed just prior to being caught. d.g

K

Kevan Farmer

David. The lead from fuel argument has been put to these people many times. The trouble is they just don't want to look any further than blaming anglers. We are an easy target. However, the journalist I have mentioned above does seem to listen. A few of us here have been in contact with him and, as I reported earlier, he is doing a follow up piece putting new evidence to the public.

Kevan

G

GYPSY DAVE

Forgive me for only just posting on this, but in reply to why PETA are in this country, it is because of certain Musical artist's and Actress's(Chrissie Hynde being a prime example) providing funds. These name's are available in back issues of Angling mags and some Websites.
If you wish to help angling by boycotting these people and there productions it is not that hard to find out who they are, if you REALLY feel strongly about this!

D

David OLoughlin

Can someone confirm please. When I was doing a bit of homework on PETA last month, they were claiming that they had got John Smiths to withdraw sponsorship from fishing as well as some other major sponsor in this country. Is this true?

G

GYPSY DAVE

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J.S. pulled out of the Avon Champs purely on a time scale thing. They decided that after 21??? years or so, they had taken all they could from this,so moved on. Their was no animosity and i think that **** D. has a lot to be thanked for, to keep it going as long as it did. If angling had more of him we would have a lot less to be worried about than we have now.
G.D.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks GD I can correct that claim if I come across it again. If I remember it was in a newspaper when the dog thing was going - come to think it was in my Guardian 2?