Angling trust heroes get fishing reinstated.

Krang

Reaction score
A post by Angling Trust on Today

Can you believe these people? Days before a widely leaked government announcement on loosening the lockdown the angling trust starts posturing with its grand proposals to government. Then when the government says that sports including fishing are OK they have the audacity to act as they influenced the decision. Does anybody seriously believe the announcement would have been different without them? That their hard work is what puts angling under the heading of "sports"? Its a blatant and disgusting cynical ploy to turn the tragedy of coronavirus into a recruitment drive.

Last edited:

LukeM

Reaction score
I believe bringing angling into the broader discussion about activities that can be socially distanced has been a positive step by the angling trust for us.

Anglers are massively under represented in politics and sport compared to golf and tennis etc, and I think it shows normally with all the other issues we face - pollution, abstraction poaching etc.

If social distancing is followed, I think it can only be a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

laguna

Reaction score
The ATr likely represents itself as much as it does it's members, but at least, even if the tackle shops remain shut... lobbied the gov. into recognising it as a sport.
We can argue about the semantics of that later as we have for the last 100 years, that being the lazy man's recreational pursuit of bit bashing and tiddler wrestling being an Olympic event in the 'foreigners' category of Paris 1900..... but had the ATr done nothing, said nothing, would be far more criticised I'm sure.

I for one will be glad of a little less D.I.Y and hen pecking...

GT56

Reaction score
Hopefully the Angling Trust will now concentrate on getting the close season abolished.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Angling Trust will now concentrate on getting the close season abolished.

I highly doubt that as from the last detailed exercise it seems that the 50:50 spilt has NOT changed. The Trust are well aware that any moves to support abolishment will result in the loss of many members . . . .

Krang

Reaction score

What they might have done, is get it abolished this year in order to allow anglers to spread out.

What they did here was support a ban right up until it was going to have the rug pulled from under it anyway.

Notice how the law hasn't actually changed. An emphasis has been put on people going back to work who were never told not to work in the first place.

The self congratulatory behaviour of the angling trust just completely beggars belief. How stupid do they think we are?