angling trust statement

Aknib

Reaction score
I respect everyone's differing opinions on this and they all have their merits.

I have my local dam well within walking distance and plenty of maggots in the freezer, if the government say that we can go fishing I will go without driving anywhere, buying anything or coming into contact with anyone.

Considering those circumstances I can't see what my personal abstention would achieve for me or anyone else should we be allowed to go.

Molehill

Reaction score
What also needs considering - which I have not seen considered by anyone here or elsewhere - are the views of the riperian owners of many waters. Estates, farmers, landowners.
Many waters are leased on private land and many of those landowners may not want anyone at all there at the moment, or want to be checking who has come from where and how far. Plenty of club waters may be fine but it is another area of potential conflict and divide or potential loss of waters. It only takes one idiot angler (of which we have a few!) for a lease to be torn up and club lose the fishery.

john step

Reaction score
I see the above posts relevency,but if it was so important,also a national remote grocery delivery service would be in place,from day one that is my families biggest contact area,like it or not countless thousands work in supermarkets(my youngest son is one),they come home from their shifts carrying the virus and spread it to all,it isn't like these people get hosed down or anything,they 'wash' their hands and come home..... If angling is deemed to be a risk that is pushing numbers up,then that is how it is,we have to sort this,unless we all march on parliament...
I agree with the risks as you point out above. What I was trying to say was that once you make concessions for one group the others clamour.
The liberty takers organising matches when they shouldn't made the national news.
I can't imagine the relevant government department missed that bit of news.
It may be that rule breakers influenced the current no fishing decision. Its possible.

As to the grocery thing. My local Tesco started off well. Cordoned off queues. Trolleys at the head of the queue at the sanitation and a supervisor insisting on hand sanitation and limiting the numbers entering. Only one shopper per trolley. One in and one out. Queue to pay.

Now its reverted to a free for all. The sanitation station is no longer in your face and people walk past it.
With this lax attitude seems to come with more infections.

I think I shall do my utter best to avoid anyone as I would hate to get this far and then be the last person in the country to die from it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What also needs considering - which I have not seen considered by anyone here or elsewhere - are the views of the riperian owners of many waters. Estates, farmers, landowners.
Many waters are leased on private land and many of those landowners may not want anyone at all there at the moment, or want to be checking who has come from where and how far. Plenty of club waters may be fine but it is another area of potential conflict and divide or potential loss of waters. It only takes one idiot angler (of which we have a few!) for a lease to be torn up and club lose the fishery.

In that vein, suppose I owned half a mile of river bank on my property (which is then designated as "my home") then am I allowed to fish from my 'garden'?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I give more anglers credit for doing the right thing, Mark. ?
It's not good to think the worst of people with no evidence unless of course, you have a little.
There's my evidence Rayner, the angling trust don't even mention the virus or the crises. just the rules and how they might get them changed to suit us. Just saying, I find it hard to think this is about angling trying to do the right thing. If that was the case they would be telling us to go out and help push trolleys about down the hospital, that would be exercise if they were that concerned about my fitness. Its all a bit selfish in my view but its nothing to do me with really but it does not show angling in a good light IMO. Selfish bunch of people given what is going on and what's on the news. I find it hard to reconcile all this with that, nurses in tears, covid wards near breaking point etc.
That's just my view and I wont say anymore about it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If 1 in 50 have this virus that could mean 20000 anglers have it and some might not be showing symptoms or aware they have it, asymptomatic. Not a good time to be encouraging them out and wandering the countryside, I get Molehills point, if I was a fisheries/landowner, I wouldn't want them on my land right now, I would tell them to bugger off.

theartist

Reaction score
Just seen a boy and his grandad fishing the canal in town :rolleyes: No net just one rod and a bait tub, they looked middle class, full on summer holiday specials, except it was freezing of course. Goes to show there's always going to be some who just don't realise that fishing ISN'T allowed this time round given that it was last time.

Reaction score
Absolutely Rob,plus there will be others that deliberately turn up at 11pm on remote stretches of river that are not under lock and key,the trust,govt and clubs obviously know this will happen...

Reaction score

But that doesn't stop all the post covid ramblers or cyclists trampling their fields does it,anyone the fishes the small river I do will tell you that since covid the footpath that circles our water is like the M25 for long periods,what is that doing to stop the virus,as it is only a few metres wide,with barbed wire both sides,people will be people and do what they like if given enough rope...

Last edited:

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what affect this lockdown will have on angling club's membership renewals for next season. In my local area they became virtually all full up during the last lockdown when fishing was allowed. Not sure how long Covid will go on, but will people be willing to pay out for a membership with the risk of not being able to fish.

Reaction score
There have been lots of moans on club's forums with similar feelings,but these members have joined clubs either in early season,or half season tickets,knowing we who were already members in March had already lost part of our fishing year yet still joined,unfortunately not knowing the future means joining at any time is a risk,if people cannot afford to join that is sad,but a decision many people make through their lives unfortunately...

Molehill

Reaction score
In that vein, suppose I owned half a mile of river bank on my property (which is then designated as "my home") then am I allowed to fish from my 'garden'?

I don't see why not, especially if nobody else has fishing rights there. But there are always "what ifs" to every situation and they can't all be covered, like how about I invite my neighbour who can walk acros the field and how about my friend who has to drive a mile because he has a bad leg and my other mate who is only 5 miles away etc. etc.
I think the Wales rules are as good a compromise as anything - no travel by car, for starters. The rest is up to clubs and fishery owners.

Reaction score
By law you cannot fish in the UK,regardless of whether it's in your back garden,that is how I read it,though I aree thats total balls....

Molehill

Reaction score
But that doesn't stop all the covid ramblers or cyclists trampling their fields does it,anyone the fishes the small river I do will tell you that since covid the footpath that circles our water is like the M25 for long periods,what is that doing to stop the virus,as it is only a few metres wide,with barbed wire both sides,people will be people and do what they like if given enough rope...

All the more reason for anglers to show some degree of self restraint and responsibility that much of the nation do not have. Why are they covid ramblers and cyclists, are we all covid anglers?

Aknib

Reaction score
I've just been up to my local B&Q superstore and then on to Wickes, both doing brisk business.

The drive-thru McDonalds was open as was the Costa Coffee equivalent a few hundred yards down the road and practically opposite the huge local hospital and again both were doing brisk business whilst ambulances displaying blue lights seemed to be coming and going at a fairly steady rate.

Not sure there's a point to that, other than the whole thing makes little sense in my eyes.

Reaction score
All the more reason for anglers to show some degree of self restraint and responsibility that much of the nation do not have. Why are they covid ramblers and cyclists, are we all covid anglers?

Sorry mate,should say post covid. I've edited the post you highlighted...

Reaction score
Angling trust have just said said we can fish locally.

Will the trust clarify local Simon,I know it sounds silly,but someone has too,for the sake of a legal standpoint,let alone a health one...