ANOTHER rod????

Wakou

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I love my small rivers, tiny streams, ditches etc. Chub, perch, dace, roach, even gudgeon give me more joy than any obese lump of force-fed blubber... The idea of sitting in a three-roomed tent, complete with microwave, dishwasher, air-con and TV, waiting for my phone to ping to tell me I have a 'bite'.... And then getting out of bed to reel in 40lb of self-hooked lard.. Not for me!
(Oops! I seem to have allowed myself a little rant! No offence!)
Anyhow.. "my" little rivers, in spring and summer, are "difficult"... Overhanging trees, snags, fallen branches, aquatic vegetation, bankside nettles, brambles etc....
I have a 15' float rod courtesy of my 'hero' Dr Mark (Redfin) Everard. And two light quiver rods, both around 11'. But I need a rod to use when thrashing about in the undergrowth. I guess probably shorter than 11' ? It does not need to be "powerful", I am unlikely to encounter barbel, a 5lb chub would be a PB.
But would need a bit of "oomph" to persuade a chub not to dive in to some tree-roots etc.
I have a 5wt fly-fishing rod, 8 1/2 feet. Should I use this? (The reel is in the "wrong" place!) Or can any of you folks suggest something?
ps (forgive the brag!)
Yesterday, after some small chub, dace and minnows, I decided to chuck a large lobworm out, to see if any bigger chub or a perch might be lurking about.
Tap, tap, pull... At first, I thought a small jack-pike...
But.....
IMG_20230703_144300698_HDR.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

John Aston

Reaction score
I do a lot of small stream stuff on fly and typically use #3 and 4 weight rods. Fly fishing is deadly on such waters in the warmer months, as long as you are stealthy, your watercraft is good and you fish upstream . For chub in high summer I use small lures (12s ) and dry flies like the hopper and Chernobyl ant - and trout , grayling and dace will also oblige . I can cast a fly in places where I'd struggle with a bait - really.

But I wouldn't use a fixed spool on a fly rod , even if it were in the right place. The action is all wrong for the type of casting involved. The thing to have is a light lure rod - something like the lovely Shimano Zodias 6ft I use , or perhaps a Drennan dropshot 7-6 if bigger fish are expected .

mikench

Reaction score
Another vote for the short Darent Valley rod. Another to consider, if you can find one, is the Greys Toreon 8’1” quiver rod which I have. It’s super light but powerful. I haven’t caught anything big on it just grayling and trout to around 1lb. I keep it for a small river and compact venues .

@Clive

Reaction score
I have a range of rods used for small venues. A 6 foot whip at the lower end and a 9 foot 6 inches light cane Avon at the upper end of the scale. In between is an almost 6 foot quiver rod professionally made from a glass fly rod blank and a spliced in 2 foot fine quiver, and a 5 metre telescopic whip. Each rod has its uses dependent on the type of location. The rivers are typically heavily tree lined so no room for a back cast, but flies can be drifted or dapped using the pole. Normally though I tend to fish float downstream and use a maggot feeder upstream.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
obese lump of force-fed blubber... The idea of sitting in a three-roomed tent, complete with microwave, dishwasher, air-con and TV, waiting for my phone to ping to tell me I have a 'bite'.... And then getting out of bed to reel in 40lb of self-hooked lard.. Not for me!

You have probably offended more than half of our fishing fraternity, at what point did you think it wouldn't offend anyone? Don't worry I will start another thread.

No I wont, changed my mind, just cannot be bothered. These forums seem to be taken over by everyone with an axe to grind enough all ready and I was just curious.

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Hilarious,take to the stage....we mustn't have an opinion...if it is anti anything,we must be acceptant of anything,everything and everybody....

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Anyhow.. "my" little rivers, in spring and summer, are "difficult"... Overhanging trees, snags, fallen branches, aquatic vegetation, bankside nettles, brambles etc....
I have a 15' float rod courtesy of my 'hero' Dr Mark (Redfin) Everard. And two light quiver rods, both around 11'. But I need a rod to use when thrashing about in the undergrowth. I guess probably shorter than 11' ? It does not need to be "powerful", I am unlikely to encounter barbel, a 5lb chub would be a PB.
But would need a bit of "oomph" to persuade a chub not to dive in to some tree-roots etc.
I have a 5wt fly-fishing rod, 8 1/2 feet. Should I use this? (The reel is in the "wrong" place!) Or can any of you folks suggest something?

I’m regularly fishing small streams and if I’m fishing a particularly overgrown stream with lots of potentially rod damaging overhanging branches and lots of streamer weed to contend with then I need a rod which can take a lot of punishment, and in these difficult conditions I resort to using one of my original 1.25lb Tc 11ft John Wilson Avon/quiver rods.

This rod can take a lot of abuse and handles decent sized Chub perfectly; however because it has the dated sliding reel fittings I fit short sections of bike inner tubes above and below the dated sliding reel fittings to prevent my reel coming off now and then.

This is the only time I use this rod as there are far better rods to choose from these days but in these conditions I think this old rod is the perfect tool.

These older rods regularly come up for sale on eBay.

Keith

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
This may fit the bill, I bought mine for small rivers and where there are overhead branches.

If you buy one get the matching sling. While the rod is great, the bag is rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was initially going to get one of these during lockdown! Thanks for the reminder Ray, I've ordered one today:)

Shows how much I've been out:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
obese lump of force-fed blubber... The idea of sitting in a three-roomed tent, complete with microwave, dishwasher, air-con and TV, waiting for my phone to ping to tell me I have a 'bite'.... And then getting out of bed to reel in 40lb of self-hooked lard.. Not for me!

You have probably offended more than half of our fishing fraternity, at what point did you think it wouldn't offend anyone? Don't worry I will start another thread.

No I wont, changed my mind, just cannot be bothered. These forums seem to be taken over by everyone with an axe to grind enough all ready and I was just curious.

While I was not offended by the comment I did find it a bit strange to start a thread about what rod for a small stream with a paragraph knocking one extreme example of Carp fishing.

Anyway, another vote for the DV 8 foot rod...although I did have the top of the second section snap on me for no apparent reason. The Tackle box replaced it without quibble and free of charge.

Last edited:

Wakou

Reaction score
A premature review. It arrived today! Beautifully packaged and of course, undamaged. This is excellent, as I only ordered on Sunday.. As for "keeping in touch"....
"We have your order" "We are processing your order" "We have sent your order"
And then the courier co. (DHL) took over:
"We have your item" "Your item is at your local depot" "Your item is out for despatch" "Your item has been delivered".
All this is superb, if slightly exhausting!
Obviously, no chance to use the new toy just yet, but it seems to be a lovely thing, I am very pleased. I took the advice of @Ray Roberts of this here parish and bought the "matching" "Skeletal Protective Rod Sleeve". I am glad I did, because the one that comes with the rod (as advised) is, frankly terrible. The rod handle seems to be very skinny. Is this a modern trend? I suppose I could wrap it with some cork tape if it becomes a problem.
One small caveat.....
The rod does not fit (easily) in to the "matching" sleeve! I had to force it in, and with cold hands and after a session on the bank might risk breaking the zip, or worse the rod? Or am I being an idiot?
(I have just got in after a long day at work and have to be up for another in five hours, and so might have missed something.. a ball of bubble wrap in the bag or summat!) But I am happy with my purchase and the service!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A premature review. It arrived today! Beautifully packaged and of course, undamaged. This is excellent, as I only ordered on Sunday.. As for "keeping in touch"....
"We have your order" "We are processing your order" "We have sent your order"
And then the courier co. (DHL) took over:
"We have your item" "Your item is at your local depot" "Your item is out for despatch" "Your item has been delivered".
All this is superb, if slightly exhausting!
Obviously, no chance to use the new toy just yet, but it seems to be a lovely thing, I am very pleased. I took the advice of @Ray Roberts of this here parish and bought the "matching" "Skeletal Protective Rod Sleeve". I am glad I did, because the one that comes with the rod (as advised) is, frankly terrible. The rod handle seems to be very skinny. Is this a modern trend? I suppose I could wrap it with some cork tape if it becomes a problem.
One small caveat.....
The rod does not fit (easily) in to the "matching" sleeve! I had to force it in, and with cold hands and after a session on the bank might risk breaking the zip, or worse the rod? Or am I being an idiot?
(I have just got in after a long day at work and have to be up for another in five hours, and so might have missed something.. a ball of bubble wrap in the bag or summat!) But I am happy with my purchase and the service!

Try putting the other end in first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakou

Reaction score
Try putting the other end in first.

(as the actress said the the bishop)
Sorry, I must go to bed now..