Antique Alligator Hide Fly Fishing Wallet and Flies

ursusdave

Reaction score
Here are 4 photos of an antique Alligator hide Fly Fishing Wallet w Flies that I have for sale. It came from a 90+ year old guy who had a garage next to mine. I got the wallet when I put myself in between the old guy's nephew cleaning out the garage and the dumpsters. The old fellow had to be put into a nursing home, so his nephew had to clean the garage out. I stumbled upon the scene at the garage a little late in the day, on my way to help someone who lives near the garages, but I was there when a nice old apple box came out and an old army gas mask shoulder bag with some crusty fishing tackle in it; and I took that bag then later found this really valuable looking Fly Fishing Wallet and Flies down in the bottom of the bag. And, true to my nature, I carried some stuff from that garage to the dumpsters - in return for the goodies I got.

I've had the Fly Fishing Wallet for over 6 years. Can anyone help with info about it? Are any of the Flies premium collector’s items? Are you or anyone you know interested in buying it? It's a sweet piece.

I have to say that I only assume it is Alligator hide. But it is so old and the old guy was so old and the wallet came out of such an old raggedy carry sack that I figure it is old enough to be real Alligator. And the old guy worked for a lifetime in the well-paying local steel mill, he and his wife never had children, so he could afford the best fishing tackle. What do ya think of this sheepskin lined wallet, and the old flies in it?

What is any of it worth?

Wanna make me an offer?

My email is: ursusdave at yahoo dot com

Check out the photos of the wallet -it's a nice one -

DSCN4930.JPG

DSCN4933.JPG

DSCN4932.JPG

DSCN4934.JPG

Last edited:

ursusdave

Reaction score
Last edited:

captain carrott

Reaction score
of course if it's a cites listed species then selling it will bring a nice £5000 fine for trading in endangered species

ursusdave

Reaction score
There is no manufacturer's mark on the wallet.

Reading the replies on here, I just realized that my idea of old Fly Fishing tackle and a hard core Fly Fishing tackle collector's idea of it are too different concepts. Some collectors may only go for flies that are older than any of us alive today.

The old guy who was renting the garage, John, never talked about going fishing or having done any good fishing. So I figure that John had not done any fishing for a few decades, maybe. The old gas mask bag with fishing tackle in it had definitely been buried in under other stuff in the garage for a decade or more. Old John had rented that garage since the 1940s. I am thinking that the flies are from the 1960s or 50s and no older than the 40s. I'll be UNhappily surprised if they are 1970s era or newer. That is why I have the detailed photo of them, for the collector's to be able to determine what they are from when.

As far as any endangered species act violations, according to what I've learned - including by viewing many episodes of both the British and American Antique Roadshow TV series, if there were any endangered species used for tying the flies in the wallet, I'll probably be alright if I sell them in the USA. That's how it goes with some old items that can't be made today, because it endangers certain species. But, I never had any idea that that is something for me to be aware of. Thanks for the warning on that one. I have to be sure that I am legal in the transaction.

And I like the creative humor in the replies, it makes posting on here feel comfortable. If I were a regular on here, or any fishing forum, I believe I'd add "I FISH, THEREFORE I AM" to my posts.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The import/export of "endangered" species is certainly controlled as is the sale of products derived thereof. Alligator & crocodile products are controlled ie to import products you need a CITES licence but it is not illegal per se to sell them if properly licensed.That said a CITES licence is just a piece of paper and believe me if you want a CITES licence then ask the right people in the right places and a licence will be yours.

In my Customs days I seized no end of elephant ivory all accompanied by fully authentic CITES licences. Country of Origin was almost always given as Burundi...except that at the time there hadn't been an elephant in Burundi for 100 years and the export of ivory products from Burundi was banned.

But,getting back to the point...if you buy an alligator hide product on holiday and bring it back to the UK you could well fall foul of the Cussies but to sell one legally imported into the UK is not in itself an offence. Depends on the species...alligators & crocs are farmed for their hides and are not critically endangered. Controlled trading in alligator/crocodile products is therefore allowed...generally speaking.

In broad terms so far as the EC/UK is concerned think of prohibited items as being banned and restricted items as being controlled....which usually means they require a licence to import/export and/or sell.

In my professional opinion as a Cussie you need not fear a knock on the door.If you walked through the green channel however it would almost certainly be seized.

Relax.

Skippy

preston96

Reaction score
The import/export of "endangered" species is certainly controlled as is the sale of products derived thereof. Alligator & crocodile products are controlled ie to import products you need a CITES licence but it is not illegal per se to sell them if properly licensed.That said a CITES licence is just a piece of paper and believe me if you want a CITES licence then ask the right people in the right places and a licence will be yours.

In my Customs days I seized no end of elephant ivory all accompanied by fully authentic CITES licences. Country of Origin was almost always given as Burundi...except that at the time there hadn't been an elephant in Burundi for 100 years and the export of ivory products from Burundi was banned.

But,getting back to the point...if you buy an alligator hide product on holiday and bring it back to the UK you could well fall foul of the Cussies but to sell one legally imported into the UK is not in itself an offence. Depends on the species...alligators & crocs are farmed for their hides and are not critically endangered. Controlled trading in alligator/crocodile products is therefore allowed...generally speaking.

In broad terms so far as the EC/UK is concerned think of prohibited items as being banned and restricted items as being controlled....which usually means they require a licence to import/export and/or sell.

In my professional opinion as a Cussie you need not fear a knock on the door.If you walked through the green channel however it would almost certainly be seized.

Relax.

Skippy

So is Scouse Ed Ok to go out on the town in his Croc shoes with matching belt and watch strap? :j

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
He wouldn't be committing any customs offence but I would think its unwise on H&S grounds !:D

And back on the legals again generally speaking items acquired pre CITES days are normally OK as are proper antiques ie over 100 years old.You can't really be nicked for owning an item that was imported into the UK before the law banning or controlling its import was introduced.In fact possession in itself is not [generally speaking] a problem...its importing/exporting or selling ie trading that is. Depends on the relevant law or item. CITES stuff normally not...firearms eg are quite a different issue because different laws apply.

And as I've said before on here anything [inc fishing tackle] imported from outside the EC [eg the US] is potentially liable to duty and VAT and to not pay or attempt to avoid paying or falsifying the value to avoid paying what duties are due is an offence and renders the goods liable to seizure. Its called smuggling.

Last edited:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
So is Scouse Ed Ok to go out on the town in his Croc shoes with matching belt and watch strap? :j

And my Stetson ........

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

He wouldn't be committing any customs offence but I would think its unwise on H&S grounds !:D

And back on the legals again generally speaking items acquired pre CITES days are normally OK as are proper antiques ie over 100 years old.You can't really be nicked for owning an item that was imported into the UK before the law banning or controlling its import was introduced.In fact possession in itself is not [generally speaking] a problem...its importing/exporting or selling ie trading that is. Depends on the relevant law or item. CITES stuff normally not...firearms eg are quite a different issue because different laws apply.

And as I've said before on here anything [inc fishing tackle] imported from outside the EC [eg the US] is potentially liable to duty and VAT and to not pay or attempt to avoid paying or falsifying the value to avoid paying what duties are due is an offence and renders the goods liable to seizure. Its called smuggling.

Get them sent as a 'gift' :wh