Any chance of another Grayling fish in this autumn and winter ?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Have a good day tomorrow you lot, dont let Skipworth get his hair wet.
Good luck to you all

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Here we go,here we go,here we go.
Through the wind and the rain and the snow
Why we go,why we go, I dont know
But here we go-oh,here we go.

Cheers Derek....I've packed one of them plastic rain hats and rubbed mutton fat on me face.Job's a good un !

dangermouse

Reaction score
If the weather down there is owt like it is up here you`re braver men than me. Hope you have a good day lads.

red creel

Reaction score
Hope the chaps are ok i am only about an hour away from LIF and it has "persisted" down all morning here.Then to really put the icing on the cake heavy snow followed the rain :(

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Sat in a warm cozy pub in Romsey with lifelong friends. Had a superb Sunday Roast beside a roaring fire, a pint or two and a glass of Pinot. Most pleasant!

Had to drive in a blizzard, temperature dropped by 10 degress, God help anyone fishing in that today...

.. how did you guys get on?

:wh

Windy

Reaction score
That was the most unpleasant experience and worst day's fishing I have ever had.
No criticism of the LI Fishery, but what a ghastly day.
Will write further when I have had a bath and recovered a little.

Oh, and I blanked. For the first time in three years.... :eek:mg:. Bu99er.

PS. I really cannot express my joy at hearing of your warm comfortable day Neil*.
Really.
Cannot :mad:

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The chub were biting well before my fingers became too cold to bait my hook, about the time it started snowing early in the afternoon - still, at least I know my Preston Drifish still works pretty well (dry underneath but a cup full of water in each pocket completely $odded up my extra strong mints:wh
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Jeepers...that was cold ! Me and Phil were right up the top & we caught in the morning but both of us have fallen in and been drier ! I lost my float up a tree just after it started snowing and my hands were so cold I couldn't re-rig. We stuck it until about 2-30 then dropped downstream looking for a lead swim but the river by then had risen,coloured up and was full of tom tit. Time to go !

Phil had 9 grayling inc 3-4 proper kippers,2 trout and a chub. I had 4 good grayling,a smaller one and lost an absolute dog at the net. Big old cock fish with his dorsal set in the current & I just couldn't move him.

Such a shame the weather did for us but thanks for organising it Peter. I think my gear will take a week to dry out.

Skippy

ps : Note to Spiders : Hair remained dry...everything else soaked.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Last time I fished down there it was 9 degrees below freezing. Yer big wussies, and I never blanked.

Wuss ? How very dare you Mr Roberts ? I bet it wasn't snowing with a 30 mph Easterly whistling round your George McCalls. !

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice to see you got some ladies Skippy, couldn't get past the chub myself. Possibly not far enough upstream.
Jerry

red creel

Reaction score
Jerry..i think anything fishy shaped would be considered a result on a day like today..anyway well done for toughing it out really felt for you lot when i saw the conditions out of the window this morning.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Tough day, but bad timing! I crossed over the Itchen late morning and again late afternoon. It was certainly up and looking very coloured.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Nice to see you got some ladies Skippy, couldn't get past the chub myself. Possibly not far enough upstream.
Jerry

Dont knock it Jerry...any fish today was a result. I know Neil has done well on the chub where Phil and I fished but he is a bloody chub magnet. It is good grayling water "up top"...first time I fished the LIF I had a tremendous day's sport up there. I was nearly tempted to bring my smallest fish home for zander bait but I doubt that would have gone down too well.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Tough day, but bad timing! I crossed over the Itchen late morning and again late afternoon. It was certainly up and looking very coloured.

Miserable sod...you might have waved !

The river came up slowly at first but then suddenly coloured and soon after lunch started bombing through...by 3pm it was still rising and a dirty flood too,full of bits & road wash.The fish just switched off and fishing on when its like that is pretty pointless.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well I waited in the Car park till 6.15pm to say goodbye....but seems you had all gone home to the warm! It was horendous and got through 3 layers of clothing. Enjoyed it though.

Had 8 or 9 chubs best over 4lb. 1 Grayling , 2 roach, 2 spotties.

Stupidly didn't change over to a larger hook and stuck it out on an 18......result. 3 best fish lost because of the flow from the weir...it was tanking through. One good chub, perhaps 5lb, another a silverery touristy thing about 5-6lb, and one not seen probably trout.

Thanks for arranging it Peter. Cheers

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Dont knock it Jerry...any fish today was a result. I know Neil has done well on the chub where Phil and I fished but he is a bloody chub magnet. It is good grayling water "up top"...first time I fished the LIF I had a tremendous day's sport up there. I was nearly tempted to bring my smallest fish home for zander bait but I doubt that would have gone down too well.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Miserable sod...you might have waved !

The river came up slowly at first but then suddenly coloured and soon after lunch started bombing through...by 3pm it was still rising and a dirty flood too,full of bits & road wash.The fish just switched off and fishing on when its like that is pretty pointless.

Couldn't wave, I was sat by a log fire enjoying a pint!

Fished the Stour on Saturday, rain in the morning but sun and blue skies in the afternoon. Unfortunate timing for the Itchen.

"Up Top" seems to be a different fishery. It certainly fished quite well a few weeks back after a severe frost with a few quality grayling (and more than a few "tourists").

This will be the first flood for quite a while and God knows what will be flushed down to the Solent!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Glad everyone enjoyed it,weather probably as bad as anything I've fished in. Thanks to all, Pj for arranging it Jerry for the advice and Graham for the float ( I owe you one) and the use of his swim which gave me my best chub, even if it only made a pound and stopped me blanking:D
See you all at the next one

Ian

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Well I waited in the Car park till 6.15pm to say goodbye....but seems you had all gone home to the warm! It was horendous and got through 3 layers of clothing.

Sorry Graham....we did fire a distress flare as we left but you must have missed it.Well done for managing that lot in such filthy conditions.I hereby award you the FM Shackletons Hut Gold Medal for Endurance.

Based on yesterday Phil reckons my Native American name should be "Ten Coats" .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thanks S-Kippy. I would be honoured to accept the award once the circulation in my hands gets back to near normal...........

Shame it wasn't a day to stand around and have a chat and get to know a few more FM guys.

I actually started to walk up for a chin wag.....but having got to the wooden bridge and seeing no one else, returned to my Igloo downstream!