Any Daiwa 120M experts?

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
I recently bought a second hand Daiwa 120m for some trotting on the rivers. It's in very good condition.

The reel has an anti reverse switch and a drag, which appear to operate in the normal fashion. However, I have heard that this reel was based upon an earlier Abu model.

I was wondering if the drag can engaged with a partial backwind of the handle, as is the case with some Abus?

I have set it up on a rod, but I can't quite figure it out.

Any comments most welcome.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the later 125m which has an independent drag system with a knob located at the rear of the reel body.

It sounds like your 120m operates much the same as the Abus as you say. Why not test it before using it, tie your line to a post or similar and see how the drag operates.

PS if your 120 uses the same plastic pawl to engage/disengage backwind as does my 125m then they are prone to disintegrating over time.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've got a 120 and have just done an experiment. It's not a reel I use much at all though the reel I have is hardly used and over 30 years old; I bought it as I kept facing the wind waggler fishing at Longleat so a long time ago! With the anti-recverse on slacken off the knob on the handle, turning towards the minus sign and it should be possible pull line against the drag. If you try to pull line off when reeling in the drag tightens as the handle moves within the slot so that you do not have line coming off at the same time as reeling in. So it's the opposite to how a ABU 506 works. I hadn't realeased how this drag worked until now as I'd always used it with the anti-reverse off.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
s63, thanks for that. I have compared the schematic drawing from the 120m to the 125m and the anti-reverse pawl appears to be a different design. I will open the reel and check whether it's plastic.

Mark, sincere thanks for that comprehensive description and for taking the time to check out your reel. Very helpful. That's actually a very clever system, and fully explains the slot in the handle. You're right - the opposite of a 506.

While you're here, Mark and s63, I was wondering if I could have the benefit of your expertise on another trotting-related question. Are fluted floats worth looking at, or should they be consigned to the past? I have read differing views.

Many thanks.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m still a raw novice when it comes to the art of trotting a stick float, but loving it more than just about any other method. We have some very accomplished river anglers who I’m sure will be along soon to give some advice.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are fluted floats worth looking at, or should they be consigned to the past? I have read differing views.

There was a time that I was quite keen to find out for myself. However, after failing to find any kind of fluted float for much less than £10 a pop, I contented myself with not bothering.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Al you need to know about fluted floats is that they were a 1960s fad that basically doesn't work and that no top-class match angler has ever advocated their use. If they were any good we'd all be using them!

bracket

Reaction score
I agree with Mark. I made several way back, for match fishing on the Trent. They weren't useless but no advantage over a conventional stick float. Not worth the trouble to make or the expense to buy. Pete.