any experience with DAM-pocket pole?

peytr

Reaction score
I tell myself I don't need another rod. If I want to go fishing I always find the right tool(s) in the collection that I have.

Still, once I've said something in that direction, I spot a rod which makes me go want, want, want!

This time it's a very short (collapsed) telescopic whip Dam came up with. It would fit in a very small back pack and could take it on urban and biking adventures or just have it in the car. They're not cheap for their length....

Has anyone tried these?
Is there any competition in these transport lengths?

http://dam.de/en/shop/rods/pole-rods/dam-36t-carbon-tele-pocket-poles/

The site doesn't tell but they're just under 40cm collapsed....

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
There is a lot of difference between a Pole and a Whip, and they look very much like they’re Whips, but why do they have ‘Pole’ printed on them?

Shouldn’t they say ‘Pocket Whip’ on them instead of ‘Pocket Pole’ ?

They do look handy though.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a Shakespeare one that is similar, but looks a lot slimmer than the DAM.
The shakespeare is a 4.5 metre one, collapsible to around same as DAM.
Full carbon construction, very fine flick tip , it had a braid connector which over the years wore out,so fitted a stonfo connector.
I have had nearly 14lb of roach and Rudd out on it in a match, non larger than 4" ,
I have had decent roach on it plus skimmers and the odd rogue F1 upto 2lbs, mind you it creaked a bit with those.
If the DAM is as good ,it will be a decent buy depending on the price.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A better price for them here

preston do similar but not sure if they are as compact in overall length.

peytr

Reaction score
Yes, it's a whip.

Although... my long poles have been equipped with flick tips for forty years and where poles but are sometimes called whips nowadays because of these tips ?. Once I elasticate them (oh horror) they're poles again

I'll try find the Shakespeare! The better price isn't I'd say because that is for the 3mtr version. There's 3, 4 and 5 meter versions. I'm considering the 5 m version.

peytr

Reaction score
:D
The Shakespeare is around 30+ years old

Ah! I looked at the different Shakespeare sites and could only find the Omni poles. I must say the DAM seems to be the shortest in transport length and could very well be the stiffest as well. I also saw a composite one, which is one third the price. I don't mind it being softer but the range stops at 4 mtr and transport length is a bit more.

I guess I'll just pull the trigger on the DAM and let you know what it's like in here :p . And, of course, after that promise myself I don't need more gear.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes, it's a whip.

Although... my long poles have been equipped with flick tips for forty years and where poles but are sometimes called whips nowadays because of these tips ?. Once I elasticate them (oh horror) they're poles again
But a flick tip on a pole doesn't make it anywhere near to a whip, if you were to continually cast overhead or sideways with a pole like you can with a whip then it wouldn't last very long at all.

A flick tip is only a part of what makes a whip a whip and using a flick tip on a pole still doesn't make it anything like a whip.

I do hate this modern tendency to call a spade a rake it just shows how little they know about some things.

Keith

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Shakespeare Whip[clos
20200705_180231.jpg
ed length, ATTACH=full]9686[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
Ah, the Shakespeare looks nice! I ordered the Dam from a shop I didn't know a few days ago but got my money back in a few days.
No info of any kind but I guess they just are out of stock. I ordered at another shop this afternoon and hope for the best.

If I ever get it I'll post what I think about it.

peytr

Reaction score
Finally have got one! I got my money back a second time but the third shop I ordered from still had one in stock. Every dealer tells me they don't know when they'll get new stock.

So what it is like, without having fished with it:

It is a bit softer than I hoped for, kind of reminds me of older (cheaper) telescope whips - I'm realy curious how this will work;
Very short transport length (DAM promises 40 cm, I measured 41 cm). This is the USP I bought the rod for
Light given the fact it is 15 sections (one if which is a fine flick tip), I found just under 200 gr

I'll report once again once I find an opportunity to get to the bank with it.

Another Dave

Reaction score
I've got the Decathlon mini telescopic whips. Now, sessions are virtually non-existent for me at the moment, but I had a spare hour today and had seen some nice roach on the stretch nearest to me. It's a very busy area, kids, dogs etc and very shallow and clear but i knew they would feed on bread if you played it right. So I took the least amount of kit ever - a whip still rigged up from last year, some bread and a disgorger and basically watched for fish to take my bait. Had a few dace, a chublet and this beauty:

2020-07-17-11-56-21.jpg

peytr

Reaction score
A bit unexpected, today was the day. I fished in a club match and expected large bream and perhaps soms carp so settled for ledgering. Couldn't get things going, only small fish (at least at my peg) stealing my bait. Cought two small fish. So after two hours of twitches on the feeder I took out the DAM.

I think it's wonderfull. The rod has a soft action but some back bone from half length backwards. I didn't get any decent fish but could make tempo and already love I can stuff a complete kit about anywhere.

Took a look at the Decathlons. Looks like a good alternative, although a bit longer in transport.
It is like you said Dave; so simple and enjoyable.

silvers

Reaction score
The Shakespeare is around 30+ years old and still doing strong .and I think I paid around £30 for it.
And the rest ... try 35 years old. I have the 3m version and still use it :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
And the rest ... try 35 years old. I have the 3m version and still use it :)
I use mine regularly, I had 13lb of bits in a match on it once, nothing over 3oz , I was like zorro,
I know I got when they first came out, will try and have another think on the price unless you have an idea what they were sold for.,?
I bought a couple of Harrison 13' and a 12' gti spliced tip rods around that time as well , I think they were around £75 each.
The funny thing is I got them cheaper from shop I used than if bought from Harrisons tackle in Liverpool, he was discounting them to certain shops.

peytr

Reaction score
I was like zorro
(y)

Well I wasn't. I know I belong in the middle ranges but didn't live up to that last saturday. I had just a kilo of small fish and the winner had around 13 kg of larger bream. My neighbour had a net of small fish and one carp of a few kilo's.
A few pegs away from me there was a 90cm pike, which was cought twice on boilies! They don't count in these matches but contributed to the fun and general chaos.

Oh well, I didn't end last (partly thanks to the new DAM) and thoroughly enjoyed myself :).

peytr

Reaction score
One more update on the DAM pocket pole. I used it quite a few times now and I simply adore it. It is light, very easy to stow somewhere and feels exactly right (at least to me). It exactly has this incredibly tactile action I like when fishing for (especially) winter roach. Good times ahead!

It is a bit pricey and I found a whip which just might be 'the same' rod at Decathlon. I don't have one but looking at the specs, the many reviews and the pictures it seems the same but at a much better price! I'm tempted to buy one, just out of curiosity and give it to a friend as a birthday present :cool:... I now realise it was mentioned in the discussie before,

Of course it is on the Dutch site as well but as most people here are in UK...

Last edited: