Any famous people here?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well that’s kinda my point. Tone down their style! Because the bullies cant handle people acting like that, thats not very live and let live, thats letting the bullies get away with it by excusing their bullying behaviour!

The 'have a go back people' are just having a go for the sake of it, why don’t they just let paul/ron/whoever be who they are and then they be who they are? Debate insues and interest is kept. But no, the have a go back people single someone out and make it personal. They havent grown up enough to let people who have different views to them, have them.

I could go on and on but don’t want to rant (anymore).

The problem is that you are focussing on the flaws of the supposed bullies (how anyone can bully someone on a forum is quite beyond me) yet ignoring the faults of the posters concerned. It repeatedly strikes me that some posters think that they can do and say whatever they like, quite openly slagging off and stereotyping large groups of anglers. When people that consider themselves to be one of the number being attacked, they sometimes bite back. I see no surprise in that. Don't poke the hornet's nest if you don't wish to be stung.

I try my very best to avoid slagging anyone off, (I'll happily poke fun at the traditionalists and Mitchell connoisseurs occasionally, but I won't abuse them for doing what they like.) but I will bite back. And, I'm afraid that the "do you know who I am" nonsense, that some retreat behind, does not wash with me. I don't really care if someone is famous, infamous or just considers themselves a big wheel on a particular forum. Perhaps that just makes me ideal fodder for the wind up merchants amongst us, but I consider being the wind up merchant to be the greater of the two evils.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Time for Sam to make a comment.....

Like Pavlov's dogs!;)

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
come on some one do the "Infamy, infamy" line

Just for you M'Lud

They've all got it infamy

Just thought of a couple more famous people,

Cartoon Star...................................................................Dangermouse
Famous storm chaser (or is it the storm chasing:confused:).............Windy

Last edited:
Reaction score
The famous Fanny Craddock usually makes an appearance near Christmas.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Another I forgot.

A very famous angler with some record fish to his name - goes by the nom de plume of Morespiders.

The bad one

Reaction score
Isn't "famous" all relative? Those famous within angling, with the exception of one or two, are unknown to the general populous.
Then within the general populous there are those who are famous for being famous. Jedwood????
None are famous for advancing humanity or mankind are they?

Newton, Einstein, Hawkins, Brunel, Gates, etc.

Modern society seems to me to have a very skewed view of what fame is. It overvalues the talentless self-promotionalists and fails in many cases to value the really talented greats amongst itself.

Those that give reverence to the talentless in many cases wouldn't know who the hell Pasteur was, but without him many wouldn't be here.
On second thoughts, may be he should go down in history as the infamous one, as without him we wouldn't have given rise to the worshipers of the talentless and the "fame" they afford them. :eek:mg:

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
ya know what chap's......now in posh talk..........."may i possibly bring a small matter to your attention"..YOUR ALL TALKIN BOLLOX....grow up.!....famous?....who do you expect???????????????.......robert plant...mick jagger.....maybe janis joplin is gonna turn up.......backed by hendrix on the guitars....(he can play 3 at once!)....kieth moon on the bongos...........and mary fukin whitehouse poledancin!!!!!!!.....it's just fishin for **** sake....get real!!!!!.....sometimes..i ferkin hate anglers....!

B

Berty

ya know what chap's......now in posh talk..........."may i possibly bring a small matter to your attention"..YOUR ALL TALKIN BOLLOX....grow up.!....famous?....who do you expect???????????????.......robert plant...mick jagger.....maybe janis joplin is gonna turn up.......backed by hendrix on the guitars....(he can play 3 at once!)....kieth moon on the bongos...........and mary fukin whitehouse poledancin!!!!!!!.....it's just fishin for **** sake....get real!!!!!.....sometimes..i ferkin hate anglers....!

Doe's that include the famous ones to? :)

nicepix

Reaction score
The problem is that you are focussing on the flaws of the supposed bullies (how anyone can bully someone on a forum is quite beyond me) yet ignoring the faults of the posters concerned. It repeatedly strikes me that some posters think that they can do and say whatever they like, quite openly slagging off and stereotyping large groups of anglers. When people that consider themselves to be one of the number being attacked, they sometimes bite back. I see no surprise in that. Don't poke the hornet's nest if you don't wish to be stung.

I try my very best to avoid slagging anyone off, (I'll happily poke fun at the traditionalists and Mitchell connoisseurs occasionally, but I won't abuse them for doing what they like.) but I will bite back. And, I'm afraid that the "do you know who I am" nonsense, that some retreat behind, does not wash with me. I don't really care if someone is famous, infamous or just considers themselves a big wheel on a particular forum. Perhaps that just makes me ideal fodder for the wind up merchants amongst us, but I consider being the wind up merchant to be the greater of the two evils.

I agree totally with the above.

Also the test of being 'famous' whatever that is, is that people recognise your talents and do not need to be constantly reminded of what you think are your talents.

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
fame is a notion....false and untrue.......it can only exist within the mind of a soul....that seeks a sense of self worth..greater...than that... of its own being.......see..even grashopper turned up........well ..it is helloween!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The famous Fanny Craddock usually makes an appearance near Christmas.
Who's telling it this year?

We have had Mick Brown and Jim Gibbinson in the past, not to mention Tony Miles (if I remember well) in the very early days, but no one famous now. Oh, forgot - Deanos. Famous Yorkshire gudgeon specimen angler from Castleford and great hunter of Tunnocks Cakes and stealer of other peoples tackle, I think he's in prison right now hence he's not posting.

Philip

Reaction score

i could be wrong but wasnt it you Stuart who came on fishing magic a few years back telling everyone about a barbel catch you made and basically said you where doing it with the express interest to become a famous angler...

...or do i have you mixed up with someone else....

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
listen chappies.....i have a good friend.....a very good friend indeed....who if he chose to do so...ie ..self promote...grovel to angling press....blag himself onto every front cover.....he could....belive me ..he's had the fish......from probably two of the hardest waters there are...a few of which he has published.....bream...18+..tench 12++..perch....6+....5lb perch in double figures just in the last two years alone....every where he goes..he gets ****....from knob head *****......who think they're big time anglers.......who snipe and dig....spread poison.....and slander...fish on his back....but then think the water they happen to be fishing belongs to them and them alone.........well i dont see them sittin out in a force 6...on an elevated bank in the middle of febuary....with ice hanging off there nose....thumbs the size of crab apples from the cold......and then..he has to feel guilty about about winning £80....£100..maybe.a national specimen cup...listen.....in no other sport..would a guy who has achieved so much....still have to pay for a pint or two of maggots..fishin....fame?..do me a favour...

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip

Reaction score
So is that a yes or a no ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
listen chappies.....i have a good friend.....a very good friend indeed....who if he chose to do so...ie ..self promote...grovel to angling press....blag himself onto every front cover.....he could....belive me ..he's had the fish......from probably two of the hardest waters there are...a few of which he has published.....bream...18+..tench 12++..perch....6+....5lb perch in double figures just in the last two years alone....every where he goes..he gets ****....from knob head *****......who think they're big time anglers.......who snipe and dig....spread poison.....and slander...fish on his back....but then think the water they happen to be fishing belongs to them and them alone.........well i dont see them sittin out in a force 6...on an elevated bank in the middle of febuary....with ice hanging off there nose....thumbs the size of crab apples from the cold......and then..he has to feel guilty about about winning £80....£100..maybe.a national specimen cup...listen.....in no other sport..would a guy who has achieved so much....still have to pay for a pint or two of maggots..fishin....fame?..do me a favour...

Is it Ron?

B

Berty

I've done all of those......except for the fish, but then again my waters didn't hold them to that size, but i did ok.

Why should he pay for his maggots?..........because he CHOSE to do it!

Sad tqat!.........just like me!