Anyone know what to do with bloodmeal?

P

pedantopterix

I've got some and I'm not sure how to use it. Any suggestions?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
With gloves, just in case - waaaay before BSE, someone went down with a similar disease they "thought" they got from a bone splinter in a similar product.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
bloodmeal,
I have ever only known it as a plant food.
The same as blood and bone, both smell to high heaven.

J

jason fisher

blood meal that would be for mixing with crumb to make tench groundbait then.

don't make the mistake of using blood and bone it's not the same.

onionhead1965

Reaction score
I use it to make packbait similar to method but it breaks down in only 3 to 5 min. you pack it around your hookbait or hairbait and once its out there it starts to break down releasing all the ingredients. in still water it just sits there in flowing water i mix it more taky so it breaks down a little slower so the current releases the particles a bit slower creating a nice chum for some fish to follow directly to your bait. similar techniques are used here by paylake fishermen who fish for money. Ive used it successfullyfor my fishing here in usa.bood meal does have a tendency to draw predators and crayfish and especilly catfish which is what i am usually after anyway.you can also use bloodeal as a partial base mix for boilies.Just use the blood meal as any other additive or like flour or ground corn/maise ,Ive not used it in a boilie mix yet but will start to experiment soon with it.Bloodmeal based baits are available here as paste or dough usually as catfish baits.

N

NottmDon

Bloodmeal and fish blood and bone are both good perch attractors, pike as well seem to go for the trail the stuff gives off in the water, and yes it does stink to high heaven when wetted lol! I use it on the garden and keep the odd bit for groundbait, just 50/50 with brown crumb is usually enough. Ive been thinking of trying some in a boilie mix as liver proteins seem to be used a lot thesedays. Anyone tried it before? Bloodmeal and FBB are usually sterilised at a very high temperature, it wasn't so much BSE that used to be the worry (it is now though as it survives even at high temp sterilisation according to some) it was foot and mouth that gardeners were always warned about.

N

NottmDon

shoulda looked closer at onionheads posting doh! Let us know how you get on with your boilie mix when you try it out, one things for sure...its bound to have an aroma lol!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bloodmeal can be used as an additional attractor to ground baits intended for Tench, Eels and other bottom feeding fish.
It was far more popular in the 80's for Tench fishing than it ever is today.

If I were to consider using it these days I would be sure to only purchase a named angling product (van den Eynde for example) and not something from the garden stores.

When adding to a ground bait make sure that you riddle the mix twice as bloodmeal can become a sticky lumpy mess otherwise.
I prefer to make up the ground bait first, slightly over wetted, and then add the dry meal afterwards, then mix well and as I said riddle the mix twice at the end.

Hope this helps.