Anyone tried peas.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peas as a bait?

Bah, humbug ;)

Far better to have them braised in stock with lettuce, French style, to accompany a nice rack of lamb . . . .
Braised peas and lettuce in a stock French style. ? ?
I am glad I am English.
Rack of lamb and mint sauce, creamy mashed potatoes, and garden peas. ???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Braised peas and lettuce in a stock French style. ? ?
I am glad I am English.
Rack of lamb and mint sauce, creamy mashed potatoes, and garden peas. ???

Can't beat propper English food!

I wouldn't eat french muck.... frogs legs, slugs in shells laced with garlic butter because they taste horrible otherwise. If something needs all kind'a spices and flavourings to make it edible then what's the point in eating it?
French cuisine...no thank's!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Can't beat propper English food!

I wouldn't eat french muck.... frogs legs, slugs in shells laced with garlic butter because they taste horrible otherwise. If something needs all kind'a spices and flavourings to make it edible then what's the point in eating it?
French cuisine...no thank's!
If you have to eat food that's put on a plate with tweezers, something must be wrong.
Oh you missed horsemeat out. ??:poop:

Keith M

Reaction score
That’s probably why french chefs are arguably as skilled as they are; anyone who can make such bad ingredients as snails, frog legs and horse meat look appetising (to some) must be skilled, surely.

NB: However we serve pigs blood in our black puddings and god knows what the Scottish have in their Haggis which is put into the lining of a sheep’s stomach isn’t it? That’s almost as bad :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you have to eat food that's put on a plate with tweezers, something must be wrong.
Oh you missed horsemeat out. ??:poop:

The french even eat skylarks!
My grandad was a dairy farmer and didn't have much pleasure time, but what little time he had he tended his racing pigeons. They were often taken to france with many other pigeon fanciers birds and released in a race home, biggest problem for the pigeons was the scummy french who shot peoples expensive and prized birds to eat! Very often birds would arrive back home only to die due to injuries from shotgun pellets.
Despite the fact that he had no need to (because he was a farmer) my grandad fought the gerrys (that's what he called germans) in the second world war in france. He never spoke of the things he saw, one thing he did say, was that the french were cowards!

Keith M

Reaction score
My grandfather used to be one of the army pigeon keepers during the 2nd world war and he told us that his pigeons were used to send messages to and from the French resistance and from other places in Europe during the war; and they were often shot at before they reached the channel

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My grandfather used to be one of the army pigeon keepers during the 2nd world war and he told us that his pigeons were used to send messages to and from the French resistance and from other places in Europe during the war; and they were often shot at before they reached the channel

Keith

The pigeon racing i'm talking about was many years after the war Keith.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Snails have been reared and eaten in England since the Roman invasion times.

Known more commonly as "Mendip Wall Fish" they have a slightly different taste to those used in France, but are equally as much a delicacy . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Snails arn't considered a delicacy over here, at least I can't ever remember seeing them on any menues in the UK.
However there will always be some wierd posh resteraunts which serve such disgusting kind'a foods and make them sound edible by using fancy names...such as wall fish to mislead people! Why not say wall slug?...which is infact what they are isn't it.

I could understand eating anything if there was no option.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Snails arn't considered a delicacy over here, at least I can't ever remember seeing them on any menues in the UK.
However there will always be some wierd posh resteraunts which serve such disgusting kind'a foods and make them sound edible by using fancy names...such as wall fish to mislead people! Why not say wall slug?...which is infact what they are isn't it.

I could understand eating anything if there was no option.
Slugs are homeless snails if you think about it.
Snails have a shell they live in, until some froggy bloke uses a cocktail stick to prise them out.
Then tweezers them onto a plate and calls them wall fish a là cremè fresh and charges you 50 quid.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
How did we go from peas to the war, pigeon droppings, poking the French and haggis? Long live the art of debate:)
Peter Jacobs said braised peas in a stock french style, so the french got slated over that.
Keith M said Haggis was just as bad ,with sheeps stomach involved..so the Scots got slated.
The pigeon droppings were in relation to the pigeons in the war, again the french got slated for shooting them.
Please Keep Up...... we shouldn't have to explain things as we go along. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Peter Jacobs said braised peas in a stock french style, so the french got slated over that.
Keith M said Haggis was just as bad ,with sheeps stomach involved..so the Scots got slated.
The pigeon droppings were in relation to the pigeons in the war, again the french got slated for shooting them.
Please Keep Up...... we shouldn't have to explain things as we go along. ?

The French are two down then, I got that, happy days; carry on; as you were.