Anyone use float feeder rod combo?

Tree123

Reaction score
Buying myself a a new rod as 10 foot is just to short for me and need a 12ft. However as I do a mixture of bomb and float work ive been looking at the combo rods that come with both a quiver and float section save me having to take two. The barbel/ avon style 1.75tc are way to powerful for my needs as i only target perch.
The one ive seen do all seem to be the lower end of the market which is fine for me.
My current rod float and feeder where on the cheap end and they have caught me plently of fish.

And im aware that i can just use a 12ft feeder rod as a float rod as i habe done that a bit in the last few months just find lack bit of finesse for small floats

Just wondered if anybody had used this light style of "avon" rod.

Tree123

Reaction score
I have the Garbolino Maxim, 11.6' float top and quiver top. Brilliant rod ,would highly recommend it,

Thanks ill have look. Other option is to look at getting one of the dareth valley 0.75tc 11ft ers and just fish a sliding float and catch minnows in trap and on the whip.then go back to car and swap over rods as i only use feeder rod when it too deep to use a float.
Either way it something extra to carry i guess but it easy to strap a whip to backpack

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A few friends use the Daiwa yank n bank feeder rods for both float and feeder work, only need one rod and various lengths and either 2 or 3 push in quiver tips of various strengths., had no problems using a float with it

Tree123

Reaction score
Couldn seen to find anywhere that did the garibino.
There seems to a few model of dawia do you which one do they use?

Ngt do a 12 twin tip model which looks ideal for 50 which is worth a punt. Im due to pick a 13ft flat rod my once lockdown is over so i may just be able to touch legder as i think ill only be using light weight maybe up to 12g and casting short

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Friends use the 12' yank n bank. I will find the phone number for a tackle shop that is a Gabolino dealer,
The shops name is Vale Royal Angling ,in Northwich Cheshire, Its a good shop, they do all the major tackle shows as well.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Grey's Prodigy PB 11ft 1lb Twin Tip is a beautiful rod, but a bit spendy.

The obvious choice is the John Wilson Avon, or do what I did and find a pair of matching old rods that suit, cut the tip off one and splice in a donkey top quiver (John Wilson has an old video floating about somewhere)

sam vimes

Reaction score
1.25lb TC(ish) Avon rods are usually pretty poor substitutes for even a relatively inexpensive float rod, especially if any kind of finesse is a requirement. The best effort at a good combination float/feeder rod I've ever encountered was a very expensive Daiwa a few years ago. Unfortunately, two separate £150ish rod would be just as good, if not better, yet still cost less.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I would expect that anyone looking for a combo rod, is well aware that they are going to get a compromise.

steve2

Reaction score
Never been a lover of combo rods they are never as good as single rods. Also because most of my rods stay made up I would never use the other top section. I am the same with the various quiver tips that come with rods I chose just the one and leave the rest at home.