Are angel fish good dead bait?

Ivan Sanders

Reaction score
It has over the years become increasingly difficult to find a lake where one can be private.’ the late Rod Hutchinson

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I write to introduce myself. I’m Ivan, and presently Devon based.

I’m an old timer who has been a big pike fan since I landed my first one in 1957, but confess that when for ten years I lived in the Fens (Sutton St. Jimmy) I also loved summer night angling for specimen eels, and trying to keep on top as to exactly where elusive zander shoals had moved to. All these years I have fished for little else but pike although I do love eels and tench. I never got used to the coarse feel of zander!

After my first thirty years of pike hunting I considered that I had almost secured enough experience (in the 1980s) to write on the subject. So, I wrote pike fishing articles for several angling periodicals, and these were heavily conservation biased. So much so in fact that I was instructed that unless I stopped writing articles on the effectiveness of single hook pike angling I had to resign from a very well known pike organisation. (Even though I did not write a single bad word against trebles). So naturally I resigned.

My articles had very little impact, but I did then manage to secure two known (to me) converts to single hook piking. Notwithstanding my dislike of pike angling competitions, in 1986 all three of us qualified for the 1986 British Champs. And, out of 697 finalists, we were all in the prizes – then won via a top fifteen place. I guess that is what I’m most proud of - proud for the three of us. Nowadays I no longer write for mags. and have instead opted for privacy. By doing so I avoid upsetting folk with my single hook etc. techniques, and also I keep my big pike catches safe as many pike don’t move around much.

For my own part I have moved my catch techniques a little further forward beyond single hooks but don’t publicize such until now. I don’t feel that I’m keen beyond my dignity to share. These days when I have patience and inclination I catch pike just as effectively using no hook, instead sewing netting to half of each dead bait. Such obviously cannot cause any gut hooking.

‘He has to be joking?!’ I imagine the wails of laughter the whole world round. No I’m not. Sew fine netting onto half of your dead bait and the pike’s teeth will get so entangled that it cannot shake free. (Still necessary to use a wire trace leader). I do however confess that it can be easier removing a single hook from a pike’s mouth than netting. At least until you master the de-netting removal technique. But the bigger challenge is sewing everything together, and I often still use the relatively crude technique of a smallish single hook because I’m lazy.

Having recently suffered from heart trouble I thought that I’d file this post before having to fish in the clouds, and thereby maybe persuade a few pike angler thinkers to try something new? I hope so as fundamental pike angling techniques have remained essentially unchanged (bar frills) over the last seventy plus years.

P.S. The truth of anything begins with an open mind, then moves on into self experiment. But without the former nothing is possible. In other words you will only believe the results of your own tests. Even then I suspect half of you will initially cry ‘fluke!’ as one can become brainwashed by many years adhering to the conventional. To the brave – have fun and be pioneers! You may become hated by some for it, but how much do you truly love pike and their welfare?​

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. When my Angel fish died I was greatly saddened and it received a decent burial as befitting a wonderful specimen. 😉

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Ivan and welcome to the forum 👍

Like a lot of anglers who fish for Pike these days (well on this forum anyway) the use single or back to back double hooks with barbs removed is gaining more and more Pike anglers. A fair number of modern Pike anglers use Single ‘circle’ hooks; however there is still the average Pike Angler who uses trebles because that’s all they know, or they think it loses them fish, but they are slowly becoming fewer and coming round.

Keith

Last edited:

Ivan Sanders

Reaction score
That's really interesting Keith and good to know. Odd as it may seem I have neither read any sort of newspaper or watched tv. (except when abroad) for over thirty years. With regards to angling I suppose that I have very much become a recluse! I'm so pleased to know that the sport has moved on, and not before time. I prefer to avoid other anglers on the bank as I can feel sick for two or three days after witnessing deliberate or immensely careless gut hooking - and prevalent in competions. Even worse - killing pike.

Hopefully some of the hypocracy has also began to dissolve. I could never get my head around how a professed national pike protection club could with venom attack anyone genuinely pursuing pike protection issues.

All that aside there were some truly good guys out there and my good friend eel conservationist (the late) John Siddley comes to mind. I learned so much from him about night fishing for eels. He made me especially aware that when someone dies taking much of their knowledge with them its sad for their sport.

I recently replaced a lot of my tackle and so naturally looked on a few web sites. What essentially drew me to the conclusion that little had changed was than one site had sold over seventy pike mouth gags! Medieval!

TIP FOR THE DAY - UNHOOKING PIKE:

Never pick up pike using their gills, and avoid wire trace getting in there as such can so easily slice through gill rakers.

Lay your catch on an unhooking mat, or leave the fish in your wet large landing net if you don't own one, then roll the fish onto its back holding it firm between your knees.

Slide a finger into its under-jaw flap and so open its mouth.

Always carry both short and long forceps, and use such to unhook in total safety. No mouth gag is ever needed.