Are my worm dead?

Tree123

Reaction score
While doing the gardening on sat. I dug up a load of worms. So I thought I'd try to keep them for session on sat. I put them in a nice big container. And kept them in the shed.
I though I'd get them out today to make sure they had fresh air and changed the bedding as per Google

But when I put them down then just didnt do anything. Are they dead or they like maggots that slow right down I'm when they get cold.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Dead worms very quickly putrify and stink to high heaven. Last night's frost has probably not done them much good, but I find mine liven up when transferred from soil or compost into a mixture of damp moss and wet shredded newspaper. Worms that apparently have little or no wriggle will still catch, especially if you nip off the end of the tail before hooking, which lets out more of the scent that fish can home in on.

Tree123

Reaction score
The last part makes sense fish will find them dead in the water a lot.

I brought just checked on them and they have all crawled through the bedding material. So I guess they just need some time to warm back up.

If there isn't a lot of wiggle I'll just chop them up and try them

Keith M

Reaction score
And make sure that there are no damaged or dead worms when you store them as that’s a sure way to kill them all in a very short time.

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
Another tip is to ignore Markcw as being a worm he looks after them. :rolleyes: ;) I have kept dendrobaenas for weeks in soil feeding potatoe peelings and keeping them moist. Mind you I struggle to catch anything on them so they are not my go to bait.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you nip the endoff, put the cut end on the hook , the fish are attracted to the juices, go to cut end and easier to hook,
Another tip is to fish small piece of worm and feed casters . If fishing chopped worm and caster, put some casters in with worms you are chopping for feed and chop both and feed both.