Are you accident prone with your tackle?

Keith M

Reaction score
I went Carp fishing with my son yesterday and I couldn’t believe it; my son had unhooked a Carp on his unhooking mat and hadn’t realised that his bait had fallen back into the water. He was on a landing stage and saw a large Carp below him which tore off with his hook in its mouth, and the rod arched round under the landing stage and went SNAP!!!

I know that the rod was getting old (it was an old Rob Maylin Carp rod that I gave him with another similar rod a few years ago) but that rod has lasted us for years.

Never mind, that’ll teach him to make sure that he doesnt do it again, and I expect that I’m going to have to lend him one of my old spare Powermesh carp rods until he gets round to buying a replacement rod.

He had previously found that one of his bite alarms wasn’t working so I had to give him one of my older spare ones.

Are you accident prone, or are you just unlucky?

I am, I have walked straight into the water once because I was blinded by my mates camera flash.

I also remember going for a swim in the Thames when I was a kid when the overhanging river bank I was standing on decided to collapse into the water, and I couldn’t swim in those days. I spent the next few hours sitting next to my dad with my clothes drying over a fence behind us and meanwhile I was wrapped in a plastic Mac, and being cheered by every passenger boat that went past us.

There were a fair number of similar things like that over the last sixty years that I have fished.

How about you?

Keith

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I’m always breaking something or dropping something in the water.......
Last 3 outings I’ve lost 2 plummets..... broke my shot remover...... lost a feeder in a bush.....
my wife usually asks me when I get home what have you lost today!!!!

steve2

Reaction score
Many years ago in a rush to put amy car away I hadn't noticed that my rods had fallen over and drove over them. What I found out was that hollow glass rods don't like being driven over.

mikench

Reaction score
I have left a good few things behind including a Preston brolly and never saw them again. I lose stuff all the time like disgorgers, beads, swivels and floats. I've broken chairs, catapults and feeders. Other than that I'm pretty good with gear.;)

Reaction score
I never lose anything,more likely to find things,i'm generally super careful but have broke odd things over the years...

Reaction score
I found an enormous soft rubber shad,in bright yellow and green,had a very large jig head/hook on it,cant imagine the person who lost it didn't notice the lightness of their tacke when they left.... Ive used smaller for pollack on the boat...

lambert1

Reaction score
My local rivers are deliberately not interfered with if trees fall in or branches over hang and as the land does not belong to us, we are only able to strim the nettles etc to make swims. Consequently some of the best spots for Chub and Barbel require very accurate casting. I usually start off well, but then I get a little complacent and before I know it the trees have grabbed my float/feeder! There are snags as well and I have at least two feeders that came up attached to my line! I have a habit of leaving rod rests behind too as it is usually getting dark when I leave.

steve2

Reaction score
I have left a few things behind on the bank over the years landing nets appear to be a favourite. I hang them on a tree to dry then walk off leave them there.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I dropped a rod rest in the edge and as I knelt down to retrieve it I thought another inch and I’ve got it, alas not true, I toppled forwards headfirst into the lake. It was about four and a half feet deep so I wouldn’t have reached it anyway. I ducked under and got it back. A few days later on the same lake I stopped to chat to an old boy and asked him if anything was happening? He said; “ no it’s been quiet, but you should have been here a couple of days ago, some stupid twat went in the lake head first.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier post,im more accident prone with myself,having had at least four trips to A&E having accidents on the bank,one a few years ago when I fitted a weed cutter to my landing net pole,shipped it up the bank to remove it,but because it was wet the pole slid faster than I expected and the cutter sunk into my hand to the bone,my towel was claret red and I didn't think it would ever stop bleeding long enough for me to pack up,well over an hour,bloody hurt too,clumsy old fool....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to be rather OCD when it comes to my fishing tackle.

I spend probably far too much when buying a new rod or reel and then am careful in its use and keeping it clean.

In over 60 years of fishing I have had the occasional breakage of a rod (more often than not due to poor manufacture) tather thn mishandling or accident.

The only time I broke something that was clearly my fault was with my old Boss seat box that I put down on a rocky bankside in Norway and had a sharp rock pierce the base . . . totally my fault for not looking properly first.

Reaction score
Do you know Peter,I have a 12ft Titan 2000,which through my laziness to get up the steep bank behind me to ring up and I broke the tip,an act that normally I wouldn't have done,but I was extremely hung over and felt very poorly,I bought a new tip from Normark,i've just looked on ebay and a rod like mine is on sale,finishes in around nine hours,it has an inch of the tip missing,incredibly at present it has reached £181,i'm watching waiting to see what eventually goes for...