Are you accident prone with your tackle?

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to looking after gear. But I've still managed a few cock-ups.

I opened a pole at the wrong end, and all the sections slid out into the canal and planed away from the bank. I had to cycle home, come back with lots of improvised grappling equipment and spend the day retrieving them.

I borrowed a mate's pike rod for an Irish Trip. Catching roach next to a low bridge on the Galway river, I soon had the pike that was attacking my swim on. When it ran under the bridge, I touched the rod, fully bent, on the stone and it exploded.

I lived in a Coronation St type house in Salford, and went fishing on a motorbike (a Z750, not a Lambretta). I put my holdall against the entry wall while I manoeuvred the bike into the back yard and went in. Hours later, I realised I hadn't brought it in. Of course it was gone. i reported it to the police on the slim chance. A few days later, a call from the police gave me the address of someone who'd found a bag with some tubes in. I went to the house, a few streets away, where mum told me her 10 year old had found the bag and they'd reported the find. Was I pleased to get those "tubes" back - the brand new TriCast pole I'd had for a week or two. I gave the lad £20.

The most stupid thing? I got so fed up with wrap-overs on a rod - it was a DAM something or other - that when it happened for the umpteenth time, I grabbed the line and yanked it. Which snapped the top foot clean off.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once left my abu 501 on the car roof along with a few other bits, as I drove away I was able to hear it all fall off because I had my window open. The reel was dented but I used it for many years after until it was stolen along with 99% of all my other gear.
I left a brand new wooden orvis trout net on one of my m8's car roofs at the end of a days trotting for grayling up the lakes, needless to say I never saw it again :).

Another time I did exactly the same with a shotgun, i'd driven about a mile down the rod and as I braked to stop it came sliding off the roof and skidded along the tarmac! However it was only a cheap'o single barrel 12 bore baikal which even today would probably only cost you 30 to 50 nicker second hand. Funny enough, the gun only had a few scuffs and a few years later I gave it to my m8 and he still has it to this day!
Another occassion my m8 left his cartridge belt full of shells on the car roof and when we went to the police station to let them know what had happened the bobby behind the counter said "is this it" and pulled it out from under the counter lol. It had been run over and luckily just a couple of shells were nacked.

I do try not to leave anything on the car roof nowadays as inevitably it will be forgot about!

Reaction score
Well,the titan 2000 12fter sold for £226,with an inch missing from the tip,oh well i'd better put my intact one on....not!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well,the titan 2000 12fter sold for £226,with an inch missing from the tip,oh well i'd better put my intact one on....not!!!

I noticed that rod the other day.

Did you see the 12ft titan 2000 last week, it went for over 400 sods!
I tink it was 425 plus a tenner post.
Obviously someone wanted that.

Reaction score
Mine is in top nick,but you will have to offer me 500,lol...

Tree123

Reaction score
I went Carp fishing with my son yesterday and I couldn’t believe it; my son had unhooked a Carp on his unhooking mat and hadn’t realised that his bait had fallen back into the water. He was on a landing stage and saw a large Carp below him which tore off with his hook in its mouth, and the rod arched round under the landing stage and went SNAP!!!

I know that the rod was getting old (it was an old Rob Maylin Carp rod that I gave him with another similar rod a few years ago) but that rod has lasted us for years.

Never mind, that’ll teach him to make sure that he doesnt do it again, and I expect that I’m going to have to lend him one of my old spare Powermesh carp rods until he gets round to buying a replacement rod.

He had previously found that one of his bite alarms wasn’t working so I had to give him one of my older spare ones.

Are you accident prone, or are you just unlucky?

I am, I have walked straight into the water once because I was blinded by my mates camera flash.

I also remember going for a swim in the Thames when I was a kid when the overhanging river bank I was standing on decided to collapse into the water, and I couldn’t swim in those days. I spent the next few hours sitting next to my dad with my clothes drying over a fence behind us and meanwhile I was wrapped in a plastic Mac, and being cheered by every passenger boat that went past us.

There were a fair number of similar things like that over the last sixty years that I have fished.

How about you?

Keith
I used to be two mobile phone dropped in the drink a lot of spare spools touch wood im ok now