au'Natural

B

Bar Barbus

I was considering the other day, after reading a diary from an angler in the 1900's what baits where avaible then and now, and what in my few - about 40 years - I have caught on. Can anyone add to the list.

Chub - Maggot, caster, bread, worm, stone loach, caddis, steak, liver, minnow, whitebait, prawn, shrimp, piece of tomatoe, ditto mushroom, honeydew grapes, cheese and cheese pastes, hemp, tares, barley, wheat, maples, bacon grill, luncheon meat, Soldier Palmer flies with fly rod, mussels, cockles, blue bottles (from casters), slugs, chicken skin, bacon rind.

Still yet to try bloodworm

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, the best bait of the lot for chub in summer, and occasionally in winter:

Wasp grub and wasp cake.

B

Bar Barbus

Yes - forgot that and been stung getting them out. Also used beescomb and honey mixed with bread.

Age tends to dim the memory.

B

Bar Barbus

really having to get the old brain cells working.

Also forgot:
Sweetcorn, mung beans and soya beans (just when bean is sprouting - resembles small swan mussels), spagetti, rice, but not tried macaroni.

A

Andy Davis

What about mealworms or waxworms ?
I have never used them but has anyone tried them ??

B

Bar Barbus

No.

But would be interested if anyone knows how to grow/breed freshwater shrimps in quantity since I am sure that natural baits score.

Once fishing for about 2 hours maggots and casters for roach without a bite, picked up a large stone and uncovered about 4 caddis. from memory 1 had 2 fish in 3 swims, Went back to maggot not a bite.

P

Philip Inzani

Jelly tots! Rod Hutchinson wrote about them, I think he said the black ones got the bigger fish..something like that anyway.

Or how about catching on a bare hook.

C

Carp Angler

I've caught chub from the Avon on little green grasshoppers.

P

Paul Williams

A true naturel and devestating for chub and eel! is the brook lamprey, one of these can catch the cagest of chub.

P

Philip Inzani

Oopps sorry I did not realise we where talking just about Chub, the RH jelly tots and bare hooks was Carpy stuff.

For Chub I have not used them but I have heard about people using Frogs or Toads...I remeber a peice written by someone well known (Fred J Taylor or similar) that said they hooked their biggest ever Chub on a massive Toad but there was too much bait and not enough hook and they lost it.