Avoid: Club 2000 Fishing Tackle Warehouse

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I hope this won't be censored.

This is a factual account of my dealings with Club 2000 Fishing Tackle Warehouse. I have given them ample warning that I will post on social media about my experience unless they take the opportunity to put right a situation that has left me fuming and out of pocket. They have not taken that opportunity, so here goes.

____

Today, I reported this West Midlands dealer to Trading Standards in Dudley. The reason, is that they have refused to accept a return and full refund for an online purchase made less than 30 days ago, which was in line not only with their own T&Cs, but consumer protection law.

Having repeatedly ignored my emails, when they did care to reply they told me returns must be within 14 days and that they could only offer an exchange or credit note. That's their policy for items bought in store. Again, I purchased online where their T&Cs say 30 days. Regardless of the nuances, consumer law states that the return of an online purchase, within the published timeframe should be met with a no quibble refund.

I kept my messages polite and simply asked them to confirm their own T&Cs. They repeatedly failed to accept, or confirm, that having bought the item online I was entitled to a full refund - even though I provided them with a copy of an email that they sent me to confirm my online order and a photograph of the packaging with my address on it, to prove that it was posted to me.

My choice today was to visit the store and demand a refund, or post the item back to them. A visit to the store would have taken two hours and might have ended in confrontation. I decided against posting the item back to them, as I suspected they might then claim that the goods were damaged in some way.

After several ignored emails (they ignored every one of four or five I sent today - asking for some sort of clarification), I chose a third way, which was to sell the item on eBay, so that I had a quick return on at least part of my money. So I'm out of pocket, but at least I don't have to spend all day sending emails to a company that, apart from its disregard for consumer law, doesn't even have the basic courtesy to reply.

In retrospect, I checked the company's ratings online and found that it's not just me - their customer service record is appalling... and I mean, APPALLING. There will no doubt be people who will praise this company, but for the rest of you...

... buyer beware.

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
PS. On another forum the mods have said that they will contact the dealer and give them the right to reply.

I'm happy for them to reply here too - they didn't take that opportunity when (on multiple occasions) I offered it to them.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Their T&C say unopened and all packaging intact, unless goods faulty, also I would say if you have sold it, you have no comebacks,
If you had made money by selling it, would you have sent them the difference,?
Their customer service may be terrible, but if I was you I would not have mentioned to them about putting it on social media, just gone ahead with your claim. Did you pay by credit card or paypal. You should have had a chance at recovery that way, but like I said with you selling it, you may have no comeback now,

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
If you had made money by selling it, would you have sent them the difference,?

If I'd made money by selling it, they wouldn't have made a loss (as I've done), so it's not a logical or reciprocal argument, to be fair.

Anyway, the money shortfall isn't the issue - I was angry about the whole thing yesterday, but for the sake of £30.00 I'm not going to let that bother me - and I'm obviously not going to try to reclaim that. (Allow me to edit the first post, to avoid that distraction.)

As for the packaging being intact, or otherwise. That's a red herring. First of all, the seller didn't even ask if the package had been opened. So, although I'm still at a loss as to why they didn't just offer a refund, like any reasonable retailer would have done, it couldn't possibly have been because they thought the package had been opened....

.... But on that point, it might help to know that the item was a Korum chair. It came in a Korum branded shipping box that was sealed with several types of tape, so it had obviously been opened and closed at least twice before. The chair itself was in a plastic bag with no tape. If the seller had asked, it would have been clear that opening the contents did not constitute the breaking of seals or shrink wrap (as per their T&Cs).

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The Consumer Contracts Regulations
From 13 June 2014, the Consumer Contracts Regulations - which implement the European Consumer Rights Directive into UK law - apply to all purchases you make at a distance, for example online or over the phone.

This piece of legislation replaces the Distance Selling Regulations.

You have 7 days minimum from date of delivery to return the goods for whatever reason and longer if the item is defective. Some items, like flowers, perishable foodstuffs etc cannot be returned and some items similarly if they are cd's or software and the packaging is removed.

A fishing chair has to be opened to check it's suitability and merchantability. They are in the wrong but you are where you are and cannot return the chair to them as I would have done as you sold the chair. You are left with a small claim( you may or may not have the patience to pursue this), or to use social media and create adverse( but seemingly justified) publicity wherever you can. A reputable company would be very foolish to risk you taking this course for £30 .

The unfair contracts terms act would also apply to negate their contrary t&c's . They cannot exclude liability for faulty goods, negligence or which seek to sidestep the law.

I've never heard of them but remain unlikely to use them after reading your comments.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I'm going to wrap my comments up now guys.

At the end of the day, anyone can Google and find out more bad news about this company. I wish I'd done so before I used them. I've just never encountered such an appalling lack of courtesy and customer service... and that's what prompted me to post.

I'm off back to fly fishing... and on that point, this company should take alook at Orvis' customer service and learn something.

All the best.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I would have phoned them, at least you would have had chance to speak to someone, How many emails get ignored, put into junk box etc.

On the face of it that sounds reasonable, but they answered all my emails on day one, so they obviously were aware of me. After such a negative and uncooperative response to about six emails on that day, I smelt a rat and decided to stick to emails, so as to keep a record.

It was on day two that they ignored me all together (about four emails from me asking them to confirm it was okay for me to visit the shop and get a refund). Maybe I should have rung them then, but as I said, I wanted their responses in writing as they seemed determined not to play by the letter of the law. They gave me no reason to expect much better over the phone, nor did they ask me to ring them.

In all, I gave them numerous opportunities to do the right thing and they declined - so what do you do when you're up against that sort of service?

Anyway, I've sold the chair on ebay and delivered it to a nice guy who'll enjoy it; made a loss; got this off my chest; and given other members a heads-up so they can make up their own minds. I don't really care if Trading Standards take it further - I've wasted enough time on them.

bullet

Reaction score
I know this isn't the point, but why didn't you want it?

Reaction score
I hope you are not put off of coarse fishing by one sour purchase,most companies are sound....though some people are incorrigible....

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
I hope this won't be censored.

This is a factual account of my dealings with Club 2000 Fishing Tackle Warehouse. I have given them ample warning that I will post on social media about my experience unless they take the opportunity to put right a situation that has left me fuming and out of pocket. They have not taken that opportunity, so here goes.

____

Today, I reported this West Midlands dealer to Trading Standards in Dudley. The reason, is that they have refused to accept a return and full refund for an online purchase made less than 30 days ago, which was in line not only with their own T&Cs, but consumer protection law.

Having repeatedly ignored my emails, when they did care to reply they told me returns must be within 14 days and that they could only offer an exchange or credit note. That's their policy for items bought in store. Again, I purchased online where their T&Cs say 30 days. Regardless of the nuances, consumer law states that the return of an online purchase, within the published timeframe should be met with a no quibble refund.

I kept my messages polite and simply asked them to confirm their own T&Cs. They repeatedly failed to accept, or confirm, that having bought the item online I was entitled to a full refund - even though I provided them with a copy of an email that they sent me to confirm my online order and a photograph of the packaging with my address on it, to prove that it was posted to me.

My choice today was to visit the store and demand a refund, or post the item back to them. A visit to the store would have taken two hours and might have ended in confrontation. I decided against posting the item back to them, as I suspected they might then claim that the goods were damaged in some way.

After several ignored emails (they ignored every one of four or five I sent today - asking for some sort of clarification), I chose a third way, which was to sell the item on eBay, so that I had a quick return on at least part of my money. So I'm out of pocket, but at least I don't have to spend all day sending emails to a company that, apart from its disregard for consumer law, doesn't even have the basic courtesy to reply.

In retrospect, I checked the company's ratings online and found that it's not just me - their customer service record is appalling... and I mean, APPALLING. There will no doubt be people who will praise this company, but for the rest of you...

... buyer beware.
Thanks for the heads up ?

Aknib

Reaction score
Dont let one negative report put you off from ordering anything online from any angling company.

With reference to this particular retailer it seems as though it's far more than just one negative report though, I would agree with you on the whole but it would appear from this that there is enough form to make anyone wary...

In retrospect, I checked the company's ratings online and found that it's not just me - their customer service record is appalling... and I mean, APPALLING.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Steve, there are a mixture of reviews on their website, a lot are about stock not being priced up. This could be for any number of reasons.
There a reviews on customer service, both good and bad.
At least they are keeping the bad reviews up.
I would say a lot of companies regardless of business have mixed reviews.
I think it was done all wrong by threatening them with social media, then selling the item.
The item as advertised on another fishing forum while all this was going on.
I am not defending the company, in my opinion phone calls and a record of calls made would have been a better way to go, or even a trip to tackle shop. That way at least you know you have spoken to a person.
I am speaking from experience but over a pram I had bought, couple of things were not satisfactory.
Its remarkable what a few loud comments in the shop full of customers about product and or customer service can achieve.