Avoiding trout

davebhoy

Reaction score
Any hints on what baits will help me avoid trout while I’m fishing for roach and bream? I’m being driven mad by them, dead reds and white maggots seem to be the best so far.

I know as stocked fish they’ve had a bit of a sheltered upbringing but I can’t believe that something that swims can be so lacking in street smartness. Sweet corn must be like crack for them

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve caught trout on sweet corn, boilees, Luncheonmeat and fishmeal pellets as well as worms, insects etc.
The only bait I haven’t caught them on is Tiger nuts, but I suspect that’s because I rarely use them.:)

They certainly muck up my swim and scare the feeding fish after catching one that’s for sure.

Keith

Molehill

Reaction score
You are fishing a stillwater with roach and bream and there are stocked trout as well?
Once trout wise up they are wise as any fish, it takes a while and seems dispraportionate because they come into life fully grown from a farm and totally ignorant. How many times is a roach or bream caught over the years before it beomes canny?

davebhoy

Reaction score
You are fishing a stillwater with roach and bream and there are stocked trout as well?
Once trout wise up they are wise as any fish, it takes a while and seems dispraportionate because they come into life fully grown from a farm and totally ignorant. How many times is a roach or bream caught over the years before it beomes canny?

Yes, it’s not regularly stocked but they put in 300 fish a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think they’ll be there for long as the lure fisherman are filing their boots with them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would avoid that venue like the plague . . . . .

To my mind a day fishing a still water does not need contending with lure anglers casting and retrieving every minute or two. most lure angler will roam the venue rather than saying in one place, so again, more disturbance.

That said, fishing is a wide church , so, whatever floats your particular boat, so to speak . . . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
Verulum AC put trout into one of their coarse fisheries each year for the fly section and close the fishery to coarse Anglers for a couple of months in very early spring.

When it opens for coarse Fishing there is always a few trout left and if you catch one these you can take it home free.

They also have a dedicated trout fishery open for the fly fishermen throughout the year but that is near Whipsnade.

Keith

davebhoy

Reaction score
Verulum AC put trout into one of their coarse fisheries each year for the fly section and close the fishery to coarse Anglers for a couple of months in very early spring.

When it opens for coarse Fishing there is always a few trout left and if you catch one these you can take it home free.

They also have a dedicated trout fishery open for the fly fishermen throughout the year but that is near Whipsnade.

Keith

I’ve caught a few of the trout from Riverside I’ve the years. The trout fishery is bellows mill isnt it, right next to the course lake with the big grass carp and all the tench.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Farmed carp that have just been stocked are complete mugs too. I fished a club lake near Maidstone with my son. There was only one other angler and he was packing up as we arrived. I asked him how he had done and he said he caught loads. We set up and it was a fish a cast, I caught over 80 carp that afternoon on the float. When I chatted with the secretary a couple of days latter he said it was stocked the day before and fish farmers sometimes don’t feed the fish for a few days before taking them to the venue. Two hundred starving carp are easy meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davebhoy

Reaction score
Personally, I would avoid that venue like the plague . . . . .

To my mind a day fishing a still water does not need contending with lure anglers casting and retrieving every minute or two. most lure angler will roam the venue rather than saying in one place, so again, more disturbance.

That said, fishing is a wide church , so, whatever floats your particular boat, so to speak . . . . . .

haha!

It’s a very large water and I’m normally the only one on there but even now the lure anglers are fishing no one has come within 100 yards of me

barbelboi

Reaction score
They're the same in the rivers. When I used to fish the Kennet at Barton Court for the very sizeable chub in residence you used to get a couple of hours trotting caster for the chub then the trout would muscle in and that was it for the day. Couldn't avoid the $ods whatever bait you used.

steve2

Reaction score
Like others have said the best way to avoid catching trout is fly fishing but the best way to fish for trout is fly fishing.