Avon or tip to middle action?

Philip

Reaction score
Its always going to be a subjective thing but for fun fishing I think through actions are the best. Bending the rod into a fish and feeling every lunge that’s going on. However if you more results driven then I think a through action rod may not always be the best choice and its nice to have a bit of something in reserve to get the bait to them and be able to crank them in without too much fuss after.

PS - what did/do the neighbors make of the garden rod bending ?

...from behind twitching curtains mutters of "Harold come quick him at Number 43 is doing that thing again "...Or are they sort of used to it now ...:D

Last edited:
B

binka

PS - what did/do the neighbors make of the rod bending ? ....or are they sort of used to it now ...:D

I've not really thought about it to be honest, I guess it must look a bit odd though :D

Reaction score
I'm afraid many venues require different types of rod,I don't need a poker,or a 2lb plus rod,my venues are more getting control quickly at relatively short range,where if big fish(doubles)need to be kept in the confines of your swim,often due to heavy weed,often with pokers being close,IMO powerful rods don't stop fish,but the right action does,on larger rivers the issues are different,so tackle needs to be altered,can't imagine fishing the Trent with 5ozs or more,three quarters across on my Torrix,nah horses for courses...

Philip

Reaction score
I've not really thought about it to be honest, I guess it must look a bit odd though :D

I suppose it cant look anymore odd than attaching a miniature rubber shark to the line and "playing it" across the lawn which is what I used to do. :D

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Through action for me... I used to use two Daiwa avons in a 1.25lb test curve, 12 foot long... the one's with a handle section and two equal pieces of about 5 foot each.

Then a couple of years ago on the wye, both of them broke on the same session. My "spare" barbel rod (a three piece 1.75 greys prodigy, for which I only have the quiver section, having had the avon top snap on me so I would then truly learn what a "lifetime" warranty was) had been left at home, so a quick trip into Woodys in Hereford saw me waggling a few different rods. My strategy here was just to buy a "nightwatchman".... i.e. something that would get me through the next couple of days before I then got my serious research head on and bought the "real" replacements, something I knew I'd want pontificate and ponder on. In the shop, the chap seemed very keen on me buying a korum rod. "We sell hundreds of these", he said pressing it in to my hand. It seemed a solid enough rod, and at £49 it was bang on in terms of what I was thinking about spending. However, the action felt a little heavy - in terms of what I was used to. To get anything bending past the tip seemed to take rather more effort than I'd have liked. I asked what else he had at that kind of price point and he said that the only other one was a daiwa twin tip. So he puts the rod in my hand and the first thing I notice - in comparison to the Korum - was how much lighter it was. He then held the tip and I gave it a little bit of welly, well this was very different, smoothly bending in to the middle... however, getting it past that suggested that, a) it would keep bending but b) only with a lot of encouragement! So £50 and a couple of minutes later, I walked out of the shop with the Black Widow twin tip.

As I mentioned, the intention was only every to use this until I settled on some far superior replacement, but you know what? The daiwa is a joy to use, it's caught me plenty of fish up to double figures and I figure, why not just keep using that? If it broke tomorrow, I wouldn't be too upset (and anyway, I could always just get another one...). However, something tells me it's not going to give up the ghost any time soon. Its been put through the wringer already and I think if some awful manufacturing deficiency existed then it would have shown up by now.

The interesting thing is that I wouldn't have thought twice about it in normal circumstances, I would have gone one range up at least. So not only am I enjoying using it, it's saving me money too!:)

dicky123

Reaction score
I thought by default that Avon's we're mostly 10'11' to be honest. I too love Avon's and the rod Steve is on about is a jewel as far as rods go. It makes a nice float rod in close, and brilliant for holding touch ledgering for Perch and chub. I know Steve has some big Barbel on his, mine is still to be tested.

Steve 'did you say it was 6lb line on the rod test, and it did not break the line?'

Rich.

B

binka

Steve 'did you say it was 6lb line on the rod test, and it did not break the line?'

Rich.

Yep that's right mate, I was probably close to a line break though on that pull test.

The very first time I used them I was using 10lb and managed, iirc, three late season barbel and two of which were doubles and I never once felt under gunned.

Amazing considering I also love using them for decent perch in the 2 - 2 1/2lb range.

dicky123

Reaction score
When I put mine up and tested it, I guessed 8lb would be its ideal line. So it's a true Avon on my book, 6-8lb being the ideal for an Avon rod. But thats just my view.

B

binka

I think you're about right Rich, I really like using mine around the 6lb mark... Hard to explain but very much like a car that always seems to settle at the right speed without too much intervention from the right foot :D

The relationship between that line strength and the rod's action are always going to make it difficult for any lump and also make bigger tench and bream a real pleasure, the perfect balance for me.

Did I mention chub???

macko

Reaction score
Personally i think the Hardy Marksman 11’ 6” Speciman avon is the best all
round rod.

ATB Macko

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally i think the Hardy Marksman 11’ 6” Speciman avon is the best all
round rod.

ATB Macko

I think the 11ft avon would be the most versatile for me.
Although after saying that I think the supero barbel rod would be the best option for all round use.

dicky123

Reaction score
While its another topic slightly, it has the same theme (one I have strong feelings about) I honestly think Barbel anglers fish far too heavy for the size of fish they catch. You really don't need much over 10lb line, with an 8lb hook link to catch fish between 5lb and 10lb.
If your after a specific fish larger, then maybe, but I've seen modest fish landed in seconds on 15lb+ line and feel the aspect/fight of our sport is ruined by over heavy tackle. For me it's the fight I live for, I know that might bring derision about over playing fish, but if thats your mind set, you better off not fishing and be honest about it.

I hooked a fish on the Trent last year when trotting that I never saw, and lost it under the tip. The hook fell out, but I'll always remember the fight. It's what makes me keep going back, knowing not all fish can be landed. I doubt I would have even hooked the fish on a big pellet on a size 6 hook and 15lb line. It was the hours of feeding maggot that brought the fish on the feed. I'd landed barbel to 11lb on the same day, so knew how that felt. And this fish was insane. Maybe a rogue carp, but I still think it was a huge barbel. On an Avon rod with 8lb line I could have landed it, the 5lb tippet was just too light, operator error I admit it, but live with it well.

Does anyone else feel the same that those fish you lose/ cannot catch due to the fish being more canny, or the fish being too big makes you come back for more? Avon rods for big fish, yes me too.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While its another topic slightly, it has the same theme (one I have strong feelings about) I honestly think Barbel anglers fish far too heavy for the size of fish they catch. You really don't need much over 10lb line, with an 8lb hook link to catch fish between 5lb and 10lb.
If your after a specific fish larger, then maybe, but I've seen modest fish landed in seconds on 15lb+ line and feel the aspect/fight of our sport is ruined by over heavy tackle. For me it's the fight I live for, I know that might bring derision about over playing fish, but if thats your mind set, you better off not fishing and be honest about it.

I hooked a fish on the Trent last year when trotting that I never saw, and lost it under the tip. The hook fell out, but I'll always remember the fight. It's what makes me keep going back, knowing not all fish can be landed. I doubt I would have even hooked the fish on a big pellet on a size 6 hook and 15lb line. It was the hours of feeding maggot that brought the fish on the feed. I'd landed barbel to 11lb on the same day, so knew how that felt. And this fish was insane. Maybe a rogue carp, but I still think it was a huge barbel. On an Avon rod with 8lb line I could have landed it, the 5lb tippet was just too light, operator error I admit it, but live with it well.

Does anyone else feel the same that those fish you lose/ cannot catch due to the fish being more canny, or the fish being too big makes you come back for more? Avon rods for big fish, yes me too.

Rich.

Sounds like you could have foul hooked a fish?
I often foul hook barbel whilst trotting and even a 5 or 6lber feels like a monster. If the fish is hooked behind the head it feels like a beter fish still. I think the dorsal fin, anal fins and tail fin are when the fish feels like a much bigger and very hard to wind in fish. Often towards the end of a fight a foul hooked fish turns bely up and hangs on the surface flow and if your not careful you can easily break your rod!

Regarding lines used I find 6lb is about the optimum strength for barbel trotting. I do use 4lb (and have caiught them on light lines) but prefer the extra abrasiveness and strenght of 6lb.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Didn't have any of the belly pulling feeling of a foul hooked fish. Could have been hooked in the head I guess, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy?

Reaction score

Rich.

I would agree that fishing with tackle that gives fish a chance of escape gives a greater sense of pleasure(it is supposed to be sporting after all),but don't tell the barbel lobby,they think its fine using 30lb braid....

flightliner

Reaction score
****y, I!ve had some great float fishing for Barbel over the years with a few carp thrown in , did the fish you hooked and lost take off fast downstream on a blistering run then surface many yards downstream. I ask as most carp I,ve had on the Trent always seem to do it before continuing the fight back in the deeper water whereas a Barbel keeps near the deck most of the fight until its close to the angler.
Just curious ?

B

binka

****y, I!ve had some great float fishing for Barbel over the years with a few carp thrown in , did the fish you hooked and lost take off fast downstream on a blistering run then surface many yards downstream. I ask as most carp I,ve had on the Trent always seem to do it before continuing the fight back in the deeper water whereas a Barbel keeps near the deck most of the fight until its close to the angler.
Just curious ?

True to a fault Mick, Trent carp tear off before rolling at the furthest point and heading back down when you ease off the pressure a little.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as I hooked something when I was fishing the stick with Crow at Fiskerton, the damned thing just kept down and plodded off to the far side of the river and on towards Hazelford with the light hooklink eventually going under the bow of the flow.

I foul hooked a barbel in the tail during the same session and that took some winching back upriver and I've also had a 5 'lber in the dorsal which had me thinking I would be contacting the BRFC but that fish felt very different.

flightliner

Reaction score
Steve, had Barbel hooked pretty much all over in the past but the nine lb fish hooked in the fork of the tail when the tidal was going full bore completely wore me out, took more time to land than any other fish I can remember, as for the saying "it came in like a big wet sack" nearly sums it up but its coming towards you with a three foot wide mouth that never closes, ease up with the pressure for a seconds rest on your arm and its back downstream in no time.