Baby Baitrunners

naxian62

Reaction score
I've 2 Shimano 2500 s , which I seem to be using more and more these days. Only thing that bugs me is on 1 of them the freespool facility is really sticky and nowhere near as smooth and "free" as t'other. Any ideas, quick fixes gents ? Cheers

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve never had this problem but It might just need a good clean out and a good oiling.

Just a thought; someone hasn’t been using something like WD40 on it in the past have they? Thinking that it’s a good lubricant (which it’s not)?
This would give you similar symptoms when it starts to dry out; because it leaves a sticky residue when it dries which can clog up the reels bearings and some moving parts.

Keith

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I've 2 Shimano 2500 s , which I seem to be using more and more these days. Only thing that bugs me is on 1 of them the freespool facility is really sticky and nowhere near as smooth and "free" as t'other. Any ideas, quick fixes gents ? Cheers
I would say try giving the reel a good clean and spray with wd40 . I had a similar issue with one of mine and hat sorted it

Keith M

Reaction score
3-in-1 Oil also comes in small spray cans (as well as the normal oil cans) and I would use this instead of WD40 any day.

WD40 is a water displacer; not a lubricant (no matter what it might say on the can) and once it dries out it leaves a sticky residue behind that can really clog up bearings and affect other moving parts.

WD40 is ok while it’s still damp; however I once ruined a centrepins bearings by using WD40; and even though I managed to flush the bearings using a fine oil to try to get rid of the sticky residue left behind by the WD40 it never ran as freely as it did before. so be warned if you do decide to use WD40;
I myself wouldn’t let it get anywhere near the insides of any of my reels now.

Keith

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
That's how I used it really , washed the reel around the free spool knob dried the reel and gave it a spray with wd40

chrissh

Reaction score
I was a contract engineer working all over the world and one of the bigger night mare we had was people using WD 40 on machinery.

WD40 is not a lubricant, it ok for displacing water or freeing rusted bolts on garden equipment that all,

As Keith has already said use oil one of the best fine oil is bantam oil for free running bearing and shafts on reels if you need to regrease use waterproof grease

Tip if you get grease, oil, tar on clothing spay it with WD before washing

WD will do more harm then good to moving parts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Felindre…first class service

WD40…. Often sprayed on lures as an attractant.

Newbie74

Reaction score
Would that particular reel be good for ledger feeder fishing it’s a lot smaller to the 4000 model which would be a good reel for predator fishing I’m going to be buying a reel for feeder fishing

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the freespool or baitrunner facility is not as free as you’d like?
There are no issues with the mechanics of the reel in terms of line retrieving?

If the above is what we’re getting at then lubricants aren’t going to help, the freespool is controlled by a clutch. It may need a service. I have one of the 3k series Shimanos, I use the facility to primarily to stop me loosing my rod not to give yards and yards of lines.

rayner

Reaction score
I use 2500 baitrunner for feeder fishing on commercials, I don't think a bigger reel is needed for the waters I fish.