Back after 15 years

Newbie74

Reaction score
Hello I’ve decided to get back into Angling primarily feeder fishing any Advice would be gratefully Appreciated

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Newbie,

I was just wondering, Is there any reason why you choose legering over float fishing regardless of the places that you will be fishing?

Keith

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Mostly reservoirs or old gravel pits
I’d start off by going on YouTube and searching for the venues you intend to fish. If you can’t find anything specific there are thousands of videos on feeder fishing which will help you along.
If you have any specific questions, there are plenty of knowledgable and helpful anglers on here who will assist.

Newbie74

Reaction score
I’d start off by going on YouTube and searching for the venues you intend to fish. If you can’t find anything specific there are thousands of videos on feeder fishing which will help you along.
If you have any specific questions, there are plenty of knowledgable and helpful anglers on here who will assist.
Yes I’m watching various feeder fishing videos?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hello I’ve decided to get back into Angling primarily feeder fishing any Advice would be gratefully Appreciated
Welcome.
What would be your budget for rods and reels ,? And preferred brands,
Don't forget to factor in the cost of feeders ,straight leads, feeder links etc. You are looking at around £30 for 10 method/hybrid feeders, and you would need various sizes,

Newbie74

Reaction score
Welcome.
What would be your budget for rods and reels ,? And preferred brands,
Don't forget to factor in the cost of feeders ,straight leads, feeder links etc. You are looking at around £30 for 10 method/hybrid feeders, and you would need various sizes,
Thanks for your reply my budget for a rod upto £70:00 but hoping to pick one up cheaper an 11 foot I’ve been Looking into Various Brands
Drennan ,daiwa, Maever, Ron Thompson , Leeda
Preston , shimano all feeder rods some cheaper than £70 for now I will concentrate on the rod I’m possibly going to buy a 9 foot also for smaller venues , next will be a couple of Reels with spare spools then Line , after that I can concentrate on the smaller items .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with Ron Thompson,

Daiwa Ninja are good,
Shimano beastmaster or force master.or the new X1 range of rods.
The new Preston rods are good.
Maver MVR
Leeda Concept.
These are all around your budget and less,
The Shimano X1 is along with the Leeda Concept. Both are great rods.

A lot of the above brands do a 9' length .

Reels : Preston Inertia, Shimano baitrunners,
Daiwa Ninja or for decent casting range the Daiwa Nzon around £80 , but for that I would get a beefier rod.

A lot of reels don't come with spare spools so be prepared to factor that into your budget.

Newbie74

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with Ron Thompson,

Daiwa Ninja are good,
Shimano beastmaster or force master.or the new X1 range of rods.
The new Preston rods are good.
Maver MVR
Leeda Concept.
These are all around your budget and less,
The Shimano X1 is along with the Leeda Concept. Both are great rods.

A lot of the above brands do a 9' length .

Reels : Preston Inertia, Shimano baitrunners,
Daiwa Ninja or for decent casting range the Daiwa Nzon around £80 , but for that I would get a beefier rod.

A lot of reels don't come with spare spools so be prepared to factor that into your budget.
I’m leaning more towards the Shimano Aero x1 for an 11 foot rod possibly Also a daiwa ninja 9 foot for smaller venues where would you recommend buying online or through Angling shop , and reels I was told a 4000 bait runner or similar .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I’m leaning more towards the Shimano Aero x1 for an 11 foot rod possibly Also a daiwa ninja 9 foot for smaller venues where would you recommend buying online or through Angling shop , and reels I was told a 4000 bait runner or similar .
Go to an angling shop, if you have an Angling Direct near you I would try there, The stock should be greater and more varied than a local shop.
Tell them what you want rod and reel wise and you would like to hold the rod with the reel attached, That way you can see if it's right for you, if not try another rod or reel until you get it right.
Shimano do a good baitrunner in that size, it's the 4000DL. I have one ,it's handled silvers and carp to 15lb no problem. Failing that look at the Shimano Sahara range or Daiwa Ninja, these are not baitrunners though.
They will be fine, it's your custom they want and they know you can go elsewhere.
Don't buy online, it can arrive broken, plus you won't have a feel for the rod until it arrives, if you don't like it, you then have the faff of sending it back.

Newbie74

Reaction score
Hi Newbie,

I was just wondering, Is there any reason why you choose legering over float fishing regardless of the places that you will be fishing?

Keith
Hi Keith I’ve never given ledger fishing a go mate I previously float fished in my early 20’s