Back at it

DannyG

Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve started up course fishing again first time in about 10 years and was woudering if this is a good time to start again and if I’d catch at this time of year ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Danny, welcome to the forum (y)

Most places are still fishing ok although some not as productive as they have been earlier in the year.

Spring would normally be one of the best times to start however the rivers and streams near me are still producing good numbers of Barbel, Chub and nice Roach, and the stillwaters are still producing a fair number of fish of all species too; but be prepared for the fishing to get a little harder once the hard frosts start arrive; however it’s still worth getting out as there will still be fish feeding.

At least at this time of year the less hardy of us (the fair weather anglers) are going out less so there should be a few more empty places to fish :)

Don’t forget to let us know how you get on with your catches (and your failures) in the ‘How did you get on’ thread :)

Keith

Last edited:

DannyG

Reaction score
Thankyou Keith I don’t mind catching just a few small fish at the time being as I’m trying to teach my 6year old as well , the odd perch roach bream and carp would be nice to show him !

Keith M

Reaction score
I taught my kids to fish on cheap 4 mtr whips when they were that age as they didn’t have any reels to worry about and get tangled up in; and they loved fishing and learnt a lot. Then as they learned more and wanted to catch bigger fish I then moved them onto rods and reels and they are both now lifelong anglers :)

When my dad taught me at that age it was with a rod and reel and I was always getting bird nests of tangled line and we spent more time untangling my line than actually fishing :)

Keith

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Danny like Keith has already said, if you have an Angling direct near you that are give away a kid’s starter kits if you spend £10 on bits and paces.

I think you son has to be with you to qualify for the kit

chrissh

Reaction score
images.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thankyou Keith I don’t mind catching just a few small fish at the time being as I’m trying to teach my 6year old as well , the odd perch roach bream and carp would be nice to show him !
Welcome to the forum-Oct and Nov can still produce plenty of fish especially in milder spells and we will still get a few spells like that. Roach and chub will feed all year, maybe less of the bigger roach but the smaller ones keep going. Bream will still go until it gets really cold, Rudd will keep going until it really turns cold as well, depends on where your fishing a bit, commercials are more likely to give fish and entertain the youngsters but give rivers or canals a go if you have one near you. Perch will love worms which usually don't fail to get one if they are around. The kids love watching a float disappear, I did when I was little and still do come to think of it.

DannyG

Reaction score
Perfect Thankyou for all the advice and I think I’ll try the angling direct there’s one in Manchester so not that far from me just to refresh my memory what size hook should I be using ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Perfect Thankyou for all the advice and I think I’ll try the angling direct there’s one in Manchester so not that far from me just to refresh my memory what size hook should I be using ?
There could quite a few differences of opinion on that but I would match the hook to the bait to start with, your after small fish mainly so go small, 14 for double maggots, 12 or 10 for bread and about the same for worms. Single maggots maybe on 16 or 18.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to Fm. a local tackle shop would be a good guide to where to pick up a few fish to start at.
As you have not said about your previous experience level I shall this,
Town centre canals tend to fish well in the winter. Keiths advice on whips is good for small roach.
Commercial fisheries have mushroomed and although they are not to every ones taste on here they do offer a good way back into the feel of getting bites and landing fish. ( mostly but not always carp which will require some stronger tackle than the small fish will) ( 5lb line and 4lb bottoms with 16s or 14s or 12 hooks)
They sell tackle, bait and some you can get a cuppa to warm up by.

Just Google away for fisheries and loads will pop up.

Let us know how you get on in the How Did You Get On thread. Blanks and all!

tommos16

Reaction score
Hello Danny mate. Firstly, good luck! I started October 13th last year, id never had any experience with fishing and I just got a little rod, some floats, and went out at it. I had two roach, then blanked for about 10 days (canals are hard at prime time, never mind in dropping temp conditions).

My advice would be to go drop shotting with worms, or float fishing with maggots. You'll be fine if you can plumb up.

In March, pre lockdown, I'd only caught Ruffe, roach and perch. By June after restarting in May, I'd caught Chub, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Ide, Gudgeon, Carp, Pike and Barbel. The seasons make the biggest difference and I'd say you should expect hard times for now, but the future is bright.

But at the same time, the minute the sun is higher in the sky, your fishing can take off and so stick with it! If your line is wet, you're in with a chance, tight lines

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Some commercials have kid friendly pools, stuffed with fish, railings and tuition on hand if you want it, plus toilets, cafes, first aid tackle shop etc. Google might sort out if one is near near you.

Reaction score
My advice would be to ask at a local tackle shop if you have one as to where you could catch a few fish at the moment,some venues will definitely be slowing right down,maybe a commercial,but fishing with maggot(not pellet,meat,or corn)will normally result in plenty of bites from species like roach,rudd,perch and skimmers,you will probably see plenty of carp caught and wish you were catching tuose though...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Fish light, fish fine, feed little and often. By little I mean a couple of maggots say every 5 minutes regularly.
Depends on where you are fishing and what method,
You say you are near manchester, depending on what side you are, there is a commercial fishery at Irlam. I think the A D you are on about is the old Fishing Republic in Swinton ?
I am not sure if they have stopped the free whip and rig if you spend £10, if they havnt I would take your youngster with you ,that way it ensures you get the freebie. Even if you spend £20 you only get one whip. I did a couple of £10 purchase and got 2 whips.
They are decent and I would say they would handle feisty F1's on a commercial as well as smaller fish.
If you say what type of fishing you will be doing, there are plenty on here who will offer advice .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you can, go to Leigh Tackle and Bait.
You will get good advice and not be ripped off when you get some tackle.
He will beat any angling direct price, plus a couple of the Angling Directs I have been in the staff seem more sales orientated than fishing orientated, Same as Go Outdoors.