Back cast height

David Gane

Reaction score
Although I don't claim to be any great expert I'm far from a novice fly-caster and generally I'm content with my casting technique. However, I am having a problem at one particular venue that I go to where there is a parapet wall behind a beach area and grass growing maybe a foot high above it and this is causing me to snag my back cast. I really need to add another couple of feet of height to it. Some days are worse than others, generally as a consequence of the wind, but it is driving me nuts! So, a simple question I'd love some answers to from those who know more about these things than I do, please;

How do I add extra height to my back cast?

John Aston

Reaction score
Stop your reverse haul a bit earlier and angle the rod so the line goes up as well as back . Or roll cast . Or side cast where there's space (eg in front of you )and change direction of final forward shoot .

Most off all , just practice - ignore all those daft , impossible to follow diagrams in the mags and just ad lib your casting to fit your environment.

Don't worry -in my early days I'd lose or blunt loads of flies - and now I fish in overgrown, jungle warfare streams and hardly lose one.

David Gane

Reaction score
I was already angling the forward cast downwards but have found that by shortening the back cast and sort of punching the forward cast I can now get the height I need, so thanks for that. I don't like the "feel" of the cast as much but it works, which is the important thing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Custom Image 02072021173116.jpg