Bailiff woes

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was a bailiff for a while. I packed it in in the end because it's a thankless task. You become a bailiff because you enjoy fishing, then spend your time walking along the bank watching others fish and getting none done yourself. And then, of course, there are the numpties who deliberately set out to get something they haven't paid for and who are perfectly prepared to get nasty if you try to stop them. One thing I always did try to do though was be reasonable. If an angler has paid his subs and is quietly fishing, handling fish with consideration and doing no harm I never saw any point in checking gear and getting awkward over minutiae. It sounds to me, John, as if your bailiff needs to rethink his approach.
We used to check anglers gear on one complex we bailiffed,
It was free running feeders and leads on there. Float fishing was fine
Also there were s few out of bounds area where they could not fish.
It was surprising how the most polite angler sometimes had cast a rig into the out of bounds area.

If we didn't check and another bailiff followed on later in the day checked anglers and was told by the angler he was wasn't checked by previous bailiff, we would be asked why we didn't do it by head bailiff.

You would spend more time bailiffing waters than fishing them at times.
Even if you were fishing the water, you were expected to do checks on anglers arriving. If the anglers knew you they would stop by and show you rod licence and card .

nottskev

Reaction score
I live quite close to Bronnington , not fished there. I fish on the Llangollen canal around Whixall nice roach and perch .Also the Monty near Oswestry love stretch with some nice fish including chub. Nantwich has grown massively since l went to school there, we moved out from Crewe 20 years ago ,I hardly recognise the place when I go back

I was told that the large house at Bronnington was owned at the time by an Asian family. Whoever the owners were, I never saw them over many visits, and it was generous of them to let anglers fish - nobody ever came to ask for money, even though the pond was close to the house.
In the days of the Close Season, it was on our list of favourite ponds, along with a number in the Dee valley between Chester and Farndon. There seemed to be a pond with tench, crucians and rudd in the corner of every field. You're in a nice place there, with easy access to that lovely border country.

The bad one

Reaction score
I've bailiffed for 2 clubs for 15 years and now retired from both. Neither did I get paid a penny for doing it. Yes I got a free card for it, but in no way did that compensate for the work and hours put in doing the job. It Certainly didn’t compensate for arrogant sh£t you had to put up with from some members, who thought they knew it all and knew F all.
One guy I pulled on the river who was 100 yards away from his rods talking to his mate, on a river full of rocks, argued with me it was OK because he had his bait runners on!
Needless to say he didn't get his card back that day and had to pack up and go home, as his membership from the moment I told him I was reporting him to the committee for leaving his rods fishing and unattended was suspended.
Yes, not all members are as white as the driven snow they make themselves out to be either!

The bad one

Reaction score
Then again, the club website was full of comments about poaching on one our lengths of river and how the bailiffs were doing nothing about it.
The real facts were myself and another bailiff spent 4 hours (10 00pm to 2 00am) one night, before they kicked off, waiting for the police to turn up, as there was no way we were going to tackle 3 Eastern European tooled up with Machetes stuck in the ground next to them. We may be brave but not stupid that's for sure!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
How you approach people controls the response you get. I have never had the need to have a row with a bailiff or them with me.

I would have gone in to check out a fishery in the same way as Mark g, and on occasion I have. I used to fish a small lake called Witches Wood in Kent, coincidentally Posh Paul (Paul Smith who was a mod on here for a long time) also fished this place. It was in an old ladies back garden. I heard that it had shut some years before as a fishery and as I was doing a bit of fishing in the area thought I would take a look. I knocked the guy up and asked if I could take a look and I tried to get permission to fish it. He said his partner now kept it for ducks and wouldn’t be amicable to that, but I was welcome to take a look which I did for old times sake.
b9a71540475976f19181e1f1963298f5.jpg

It was nice to have a visit there and the owner was quite obliging. I joined a new club about fifteen months ago. I spotted a guy fishing a water near my main club’s waters, I had noticed this bit of river before and had quite
7e0064d78c4806f2de321bafefe93125.jpg

fancied it. The guy gave me all the info I needed and I joined the club for the princely sum of £10 per year.

As I said earlier, I haven’t ever really had a problem when I have approached people, but if I am polite and respectful and you want to either try to big yourself up in front of your mates or are just a miserable beggar and want to work out your frustrations on me, then you would get it back in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Aston

Reaction score
I got pulled today on the Fosdyke whilst piking. After showing my card the bailiff informed me that my large Savage Gear pike net did not comply with the "new rules" introduced this winter. Apparently it should be 36 inches and triangular. I have printed off a copy of said new rules and it says 36inches or equivalent for different design. When I asked him why his own net was clearly too small for pike he told me that for lure fishing the net can be smaller. Thats wrong actually. The smaller size net is for perch and zander and light lure fishing. He was quite clearly breaking the rules.

I also needed to have both an audible alarm and a float when deadbaiting which is completely wrong for a drifting non static deadbait.

I do hope he will re read the rules correctly to save himself embarrassment when he breaks the rules himself and bull Sh&ts next time out.
Good job they didn't see my (perfectly adequate) net on my trip last week . Words fail me about needing an alarm AND a float when deadbaiting. I can find the more fervent, loonier fringes of piking a little Taleban-esque in their rulemaking zeal . Must take a gaff and gag next time I go- my , what sport that would be

Badgerale

Reaction score
I think that the problem is often in the number of rules that get put in place.

If you have a mix of different kind of anglers using a water then it's hard for them to tell you exactly how to fish. If you have big carp types, match anglers, as well as general pleasure anglers, then rules about net size, unhooking mats, line strength, rig types, baits etc etc... are going to seem ridiculous when applied outside a particular type of fishing.

I'm fortunate that both my clubs seem to go easy on the rules, but I do worry that as the carp grow bigger in our lakes and the number of bivvies increases on the banks, if the days of mandatory net sizes will be upon us.

I think the saving grace is that while carpers make up the majority of the membership, it's the old matchmen that keep the admin going.

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
I fished one club water for tench some years ago . The Club Yearbook had the usual set of poorly written but unremarkable rules which were largely common sense . I discovered by accident - on Facebook ! - an additional set of very prescriptive rules which had obviously been written by carp guys but nowhere did it say as such . Minimum 12lb line , massive nets , tedious stuff about rigs and so on. Trouble was , I was float fishing for tench , so obviously I ignored them all . What especially irked was the closure of the whole 25 acre fishery when the carp where trying to spawn in one easily identifiable area . Funny how it was never closed when other species were spawning... Great tenching though ...

steve2

Reaction score
I did once start an argument with the club committee over what I saw as making up rules as they go along. There was no rule but they said I was breaking rules on pike fishing by drop shot fishing for perch using small lures.
They said there was; it was in the wording “no fishing for pike till October.”

This then started an argument with the eel fishermen being told they couldn’t use small dead baits.

In the end the committee called a committee meeting and rewrote the rules banning all fishing involving lures or dead baits on any water known or not known to contain pike till October.
Being mainly a lure fisher I left the club.

One question I never got an answer to was why was the Pike fishing season in the pike spawning season.

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
The whole pike season thing is most odd. Back in my youth , I'd come across the odd reference to the pike season starting in October, with the first frosts .It wasn't a season in a prescribed legal sense, but seemed to be accepted custom and practice - and can't have been for pike welfare as it was common to knock them on the head - for the pot (ghastly ) or , more commonly , in the mistaken belief that removal of predators improved 'proper' sport .

It was only since 2000 I came across this piking fundamentalism that it was an act of Satan to even think of of fishing for them before October - but as Steve says , how come the same folk are happy enough to target the big girls (as it is now compulsory to call them ) in February and March , when they are full of spawn ? 'Oh , it's fish welfare innit, nothing more important ' , they'll say - a bit rich from somebody who is happy to stick a treble in a living fish's back to catch a pike....

Like all extremism , it can verge on the ridiculous - and tales of mandating float and alarm use , enforcement of unhooking mats , prescription of hook sizes, prescribing seasonal restrictions way beyond what EA byelaws provide and so on can be absurd . I realise the PAC will now issue a fatwa on me about my remark about mats but context is all . Most of my pike are caught on single hook lures and are unhooked in the water. Most of my venues have soft , grassy or mossy banks where pike come to no harm on the rare occasion I need to spend more than seconds unhooking them or if I need a picture. If I need to take a mat because , say I'm fishing somewhere with concrete , stone or gravel banks I will .

It's come to a pretty pass when a mate of mind, who was playing a modest sized pike , was threatened by passing anglers on a fen drain that they'd kick his f***ing head in if , in their expert view, he didn't unhook the fish properly . "We're PAC mate , and we're watching you " . Words fail me ....

steve2

Reaction score
It's come to a pretty pass when a mate of mind, who was playing a modest sized pike , was threatened by passing anglers on a fen drain that they'd kick his f***ing head in if , in their expert view, he didn't unhook the fish properly . "We're PAC mate , and we're watching you " . Words fail me ....
I have said many times, angling is about hooking fish it has nothing what so ever to do with fish welfare. Just look after whatever you catch and return it safely although there are still many anti pike people out there.

David Gane

Reaction score
I could take you to an angling shop (I won't go in there any more) where the manager refuses to sell pike lures (that he has on display) to people in the summer months, using the line "I've just been talking to the PAC and if you catch pike at this time of year it will kill them". Yes, Steve - a fishing shop that won't sell fishing tackle to anglers.

Philip

Reaction score
Thankfully most of the places I fish I dont see many baliffs...i dont think I have been checked in the last 15 years.

I cant stick too many rules and if I came across stupid ones or an over zealous baliff I would probably say so and get myself in trouble which is nothing to be proud of ...at the end of the day I have a choice to fish somewhere or not and rules are all part of the package however stupid they may appear.

I have never been a baliff and would never want to be one. I think its a thankless task so I have sympathy.

As for the October Pike season its just a joke. No fish likes to be caught at any time of the year.