Bait Aprons

JONM14

Reaction score
Other than a Shakespeare agility and a daiwa matchman has anybody got suggestions on a bait apron for river fishing. Ive got an agility at the moment but its due for renewal. There seems to be a lack of options at the moment but it could just be me looking in the wrong places.

silvers

Reaction score
I prefer a smock rather than an apron - and a single pocket for the bait.
I found a second hand shimano one on EBay after much waiting.

Aknib

Reaction score
I would keep an eye in Ebay, you get some very good one-offs if you look often enough.

The best bait apron I've ever seen let alone owned came from Ebay and that too is a very well thought out, heavy duty pvc type with cotton backing which is especially useful on the inside of the bait pockets to stop maggots sweating and a very nice touch are curved bottomed, instead of rectangular, bait pockets so that there are no corners for things to crawl or fall into which makes them difficult to get out.

With all the right things in all the right places it's the best I've ever owned, it's just shame it's grey but I'm happy enough to overlook that little issue!

Sorry I can't be more specific but trust me they're out there of you check often enough and nab the new listings as they appear.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have a Shimano smock, two bait pockets , a large and a small above then at chest height a button flap pocket in two parts.
I was fortunate to find it in a tackle shop that does a few odds and sods second hand stuff , at £4 it was a steal.
TBH I don't think they are available these days but e bay could turn one up.
Three years ago I saw a Daiwa smock in fishing republic that I bought as a spare , it's functional but compared to the shimmy it won't last half as long but at £7 it was ok.
They are still made and easy to obtain .

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing bait aprons/smocks from any other main tackle manufacturers in recent years. Maggot bags/pouches are becoming similarly scarce. Both are simply a long way from being fashionable. A fair proportion of the anglers that might have used them have gone down the platform/box in the river route.

Without going bespoke, second hand, or small cottage industry seller, Halkon Hunt is probably the only other option I'm aware of. If I didn't have an old Shimano, I suspect I'd buy from HH. The quality of the modern Shakespeare and Daiwa isn't brilliant. I suppose much depends on the price you are willing to pay and how much you might use it.

bracket

Reaction score
I have always used a bait apron, but a good one now seems hard to find. So much so that I now make my own.
DSC01321_1.jpg
Quite easy to make, a metre of material is about a fiver then you need the straps and clip fitting which are cheap. Pete

Philip

Reaction score
I think Browning make or made one as did Senas and Rive...Try looking on some of the continental fishing sites, they may offer a bit more choice for aprons.

trotter2

Reaction score
Much prefer a maggot bag ,something you can take off a tie in a knot

steve2

Reaction score
For years I have used a Wychwood John Wilson bait belt a very good design this along with his bait bucket is just what need for my small stream angling. Both were very well made and both are still in good condition. Also have a Shakespeare bait apron that I haven’t used in years.
If you look around the market stalls there are plenty of bags that can be used for bait and a lot cheaper than those that tackle dealers offer.