Baitcaster reel

fry basher

Reaction score
Hi
After many years fly fishing I have started coarse fishing as well, been at it for nearly a year now so still have heaps to learn.
I have just picked a John Wilson six shooter rod from ebay and was bidding on the matching reel when I started going through comments on this site. The reel doesnt get a good press at all so I stopped bidding and was fortunately beaten - as a second hand reel it when for a higher price than some of the brand new budget ones.
To my question - have you any suggestions on a baitcasting reel that will match the rod, works efficiently and isnt going to break the bank.
It will be used for small pike, perch and trout.
Doug

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum,
You were right not to buy the reel, a load of tosh in my opinion and the rod is not much better, I have one (at the back of the shed somewhere!) and found it far to stiff, you would be better suited to a nice 7 to 8ft light spinning rod, take a look at the Shimano Exage range on Harris Sportsmail, they are superb for the money and come with their own travel case and team it up with a small fixed spool reel, Take a look at the Okuma range on Sportsmail.
The rods are about 70 to 80 pounds so might sound little expensive but you can pick up a reel from Okuma for about £30 so it might balance the cost out a little. Also, Harris Sportsmail do a vast range of lures and spinners suitable for the fish you are after...Tackle is post free too!!

Hope that helps mate.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The reel doesnt get a good press at all so I stopped bidding and was fortunately beaten
Lucky you! Kevin Perkins had one, I think it might by now be occupying a small space in a landfill somewhere and his recommendation would be to avoid it, I'm sure.

Keep your eyes on Fleabay and see if you can get a Quantum, Daiwa, or an Abu (not an Ambassadeur though) for decent money. Shimanos (Citica) are good, but go for the best money. Try using searches on Ebay with 'baitcaster' or 'casting' or 'multiplier', you never know.