Banded hair rigs

mikench

Reaction score
During my self isolation period I have resumed making hooklengths and hair rigs including the above. I have taken to using a figure of eight knot to attach the band to the hair. Is this recommended or is there a better knot and easier way?

My exploits shall resume again next week and reports can be expected. I had thought of emulating Markcw but I couldnt hire a Transit, the only poles I know prefer golf to fishing and, after spending a day putting dozens of small shot on the line ( by way of practice) and losing hundreds i lost the will to live. I will continue in my own way.;):ROFLMAO:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
@mikench Mike you can by bands with a tag on them, The hook point goes through the tag and the air in the band, Alternatively if no tag on bands you can put the bait in the band and put the band direct on the hook, Other variations doing this include a couple of wraps of line around a pellet and hook goes between line and pellet, Using direct banding either by band or line wrap you can make quite an few up beforehand and keep them In small container, As for lasso method if you dont want to make your own ,Middy do them with various hook sizes
Myself I buy the hooklengths banded, quickstop, bayonet, lasso ,coil all ready made, .
Guru,Drennan and Middy do a good range

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just use a single uni knot or even a few granny knots, then make the hair as long as is required and whip up the hook

mikench

Reaction score
You may have told me that Ian but I have forgotten. The hook lengths I’ve made are for floating bread a la Tigger. ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You may have told me that Ian but I have forgotten. The hook lengths I’ve made are for floating bread a la Tigger. ;)

Doesn't really matter what knot you use Mike, so long as it holds the band on. I'm sure yours will be fine :).
Don't forget, you can fish straight through and still tie a hair if you use a spade end hook, just leave the tage long enough to tie in your band.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I just use a single uni knot or even a few granny knots, then make the hair as long as is required and whip up the hook
Do you cinch it down tigger, I've found that the band doesn't last very long if I use granny knots etc. or tighten any knots close to the band, so I end up with a double loop knot (thread both ends through a loop twice) which has different sized loops and is annoying, but works. Des Ship on one of his videos shows a real cock-eyed way of tying a figure of eight, but what he does is tighten slowly, then pull sharply which does create a neat knot next to the band, I just can't seem to duplicate it very often.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I’m tightening whatever knot I use I put a small piece of rod a couple of mills in diameter into the loop and tighten up to it, this gives the band a bit of play and stops it from being severed by the line.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
When I’m tightening whatever knot I use I put a small piece of rod a couple of mills in diameter into the loop and tighten up to it, this gives the band a bit of play and stops it from being severed by the line.
That's an excellent idea.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you cinch it down tigger, I've found that the band doesn't last very long if I use granny knots etc. or tighten any knots close to the band, so I end up with a double loop knot (thread both ends through a loop twice) which has different sized loops and is annoying, but works. Des Ship on one of his videos shows a real cock-eyed way of tying a figure of eight, but what he does is tighten slowly, then pull sharply which does create a neat knot next to the band, I just can't seem to duplicate it very often.

In all honesty Ian, i've never had the line cut through a band, but, I only use the brown drennan bands so have no idea if my knots would cut through other makes.
It's quite easy to just pull your uni knot close to the band and then tie it off with a couple of granny knots so leaving a small loop around the band if you wish to. Again, even if using a few granny knots alon you can just pull them down as close as you want to the band.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
This is a great knot for tying hair rig loops. A friend of mine uses it for hooks too, it sort of allows the hook to flip about and is supposed to be stronger than a figure eight knot.
1f9fba2de4be531307380cd15a6e6d40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
I use a Palomar knot to tie on the band, then tie on the eyed hook with two knotless knots.

I found Drennan 'mini' size bands to be the best. If I want a wider band I make them by cutting a bit from a Drennan silicon float adaptor.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a great knot for tying hair rig loops. A friend of mine uses it for hooks too, it sort of allows the hook to flip about and is supposed to be stronger than a figure eight knot.
1f9fba2de4be531307380cd15a6e6d40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the knot I use because it’s so easy to tie, commonly known as the loop knot. Has the added advantage of the tag end facing away from the main line which on heavier lines reduces collecting weed etc.