barbed hooks

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've recently "crushed" the barbs on a few of my lure in the hope that should I catch a pike the barb wont get tangled in my net (which usually seems to happen)

Anyone done this and found their catch rate drop due not hooking the pike? or he pike getting off once hooked

Keith M

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing the trebles on a lot of my lures to large single hooks and removing the forward hooks on my double hook lures so that only the rear single hooks are present; although I'm having to try and match the hook weights where possible to try to retain their action so I might have to just remove the points on the forward trebles if they are still needed to balance their action in the water.

Plus I have also made up a lot of pike traces which have a single circle hook on them which I think is much kinder to the Pike. Plus a few with semi barbed in-line double hooks for mounting larger deadbaits.

Whether it affects the number of Pike that I hook remains to be seen, but it should certainly reduce the number of holes in my Pike landing net and make unhooking a lot easier and more kinder this late autumn/winter.

Watch this space 👀🙂

Keith

Last edited:

deno chapman

Reaction score
I've recently "crushed" the barbs on a few of my lure in the hope that should I catch a pike the barb wont get tangled in my net (which usually seems to happen)

Anyone done this and found their catch rate drop due not hooking the pike? or he pike getting off once hooked
I got myself a rubberized net to cut the lure tangle issues, rather than risk losing the fish. Now I still don't catch but at least I'm tangle free :ROFLMAO:

keora

Reaction score
For some years I've crushed the barbs on the hooks I use for pike fishing, and not had an increase in the proportion of pike I've lost.

For dead baits I avoid treble hooks and use a size 1/0 Mustad Demon circle hook - and I squeeze the barb flat on the hook. I don't use deadbaits longer than about 6 inches

As for trebles on lures, I just use one at the tail end with all the barbs squeezed flat. If it's a lure with two tandem trebles, I remove the leading treble.

I use soft plastic shads a lot these days because usually there's only one big hook on shads up to about 6 inches. Sometimes I squeeze the barbs flat, other times I don't.

grayson

Reaction score
I use crushed barb -not true barbless - for all my lure fishing, and have for years . I lose very few pike , but rather more perch. But that is attributable to the fact - I think - that fish are often hooked in the membrane at the side and behind the mouth , that leaded jig hooks have more mass and can be ejected with a headshake as the membrane tears easily.

peytr

Reaction score
Crushed barb on all lures for pike and perch - crushed or barbless for coarse fishing.

I am under the impression hooking chances are even higher and I practically never loose fish. Unhooking is a very relaxed operation and the pike I guess agrees.

However: When using crushed barbes do not use a stiff rod and braid. That combination cost me some fish. I now prefer a soft (glass) rod and Nylon all the way: With that combination it's easier to keep a minimum of tension on the hook.

steve2

Reaction score
I will stay with whatever I feel I need to use at the time barbed or barbless. I don't believe in the scheme of things it make much difference to fish welfare. But if it make you feel better go barbless.