Barbel fishing nr Ross on Wye

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a holiday booked for the 2nd week in october and our cottage just happens to front onto a beautiful stretch of the River Wye (however did that happen, what a coincidence).

Just wondering if this area holds Barbel and Chub? Any tips would be appreciated.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yes I know it very well, it contains barbel and chub but very peggy. Are they the cottages that are let specifically as fishing cottages?

There is day ticket available on the bank in Ross itself above Wilton Bridge this used to be great water but it has declined in the last ten years and is now a very iffy water.

J

John McLaren

Weeman, slightly bad news I'm afraid: Mainoaks is on the bank of the Wye but slap bang in the middle of a double bank section owned by Prince Albert AS - pretty much the whole of the horseshoe of river that is shown on the farm's website. However there is day-ticket fishing available not too far away and from what is said on their site the farm owners can point you in the right direction. I hope you find somewhere good.

One safety tip take a dogspike and rope, lots of the swims can be difficult to access or, more importantly, to get out of if it is wet.

Coincidentally I and three mates are going to be fishing that stretch during the same week you are down - so may see you in the pub!

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Im off to ross this weekend, does anyone know anything about the town stretch? Is there anywhere that allows night fishing?

eric walker

Reaction score
looks busy the second week i shall be there all month so graham dont try and fish this water .as we own this stretch and i m a committee member. and we do take it serious non anglers fishing our waters . but as john states there are other day tickets available

K

Kev Jones 2

Town stretch at Ross is OK for barbel, but virtually no night fishing allowed on the lower Wye.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Eric Walker. I take exception to your remark about don't try and fish it, I don't remember stating that I would or have I was just giving a guy some info which is why I asked if it was a fishing holiday cottage. I have no intention of fishing it as I have access to water above Ross that is far better than your water and personally I have no interest in your water whatsoever.

F

Fred Bonney

Doesn't matter Graham,he's on the committee,so there!
I just wonder, why non anglers would want to fish on their waters?

B

Bully

Clearly Eric's had poachers, not you is it Graham!!

Eric - it may be that you said this tongue in cheek? However it comes over as foot in mouth.

"and we do take it serious non anglers fishing our waters "

What on earth does that mean??

J

John McLaren

I think Eric has simply made a typo - I am sure he meant "non-members".

I felt his response was a bit over the top - especially as Graham never implied anything about fishing PAAS waters, but there have been problems with poaching on this stretch so I understand where he is coming from. But then others jump in and wind it up even more.

Eric, how about a "sorry" to Graham and lets get back to finding somewhere that Weeman really can fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
You're right John.

Please accept my apologies Eric, it just seemed a bit harsh what you said to Graham.

F

Fred Bonney

We all know where he's coming from re.poachers,well some of us do.
Looking before you leap, comes to mind though.

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

Don't worry Eric I won't try to fish your club water.

I think I'll ask in the Ross tackle shop and find a decent day ticket stretch. I'm only going to snatch a few hours anyway - the wife is pregnant and I won't get away with disappearing for too long!

Perhaps I'll see you in the pub John, if I see 3 guys covered in barbel slime I'll come and say hello.

eric walker

Reaction score
sorry i came over as strong but the cottages are advertised as fishing close by and a lot of guys think that they can fish it . mr weeman i ment no ofence to you personally but we do have guys on these sites who clearly advertise they poach our waters so we are taking a strong stance against them . thats why i said dont attempt to fish it it really would not be worth your hastle . and as i said like john there are day tickets stretches in the area yes it was a typing error re non anglers it should have been non members . now if any one takes offence at that then i dont care . as i would not dream of fishing any water that i did not know the rights of fishing and who has them . and would not fish it until i did know . as then i would be as guilty as any poacher. hope this clarifies things . and please dont think that because i m a committee member i have more concerns as any one else . i will help anyone who abides by the rules many thanks eric

eric walker

Reaction score
i will just add to graham whatmore though the guy states he knows the water and the area well and then asks are the cottages let specifically for fishing cottages . well if he knows the area he would know that the paas have the rights . now looking at his monkey face he looks more angry than anyone so get of your high horse too.

B

Bully

"but we do have guys on these sites who clearly advertise they poach our waters"

Mmmm....this site? I cannot be bothered to check such statements but I doubt it on FM. This is why you got such reaction from me and others. And frankly your above posts do you, or your club, any favors.

I think you should re read Grahams posts, go back to your school English master for a proper interpretation, and then apologise.

Question - has anyone said in the above post that Weeman should fish or poach your club waters?

Copied

"Yes there are but it depends on exactly where your cottage is mate"

"Yes I know it very well, it contains barbel and chub but very peggy. Are they the cottages that are let specifically as fishing cottages?

There is day ticket available on the bank in Ross itself above Wilton Bridge this used to be great water but it has declined in the last ten years and is now a very iffy water"

"Eric Walker. I take exception to your remark about don't try and fish it, I don't remember stating that I would or have I was just giving a guy some info which is why I asked if it was a fishing holiday cottage. I have no intention of fishing it as I have access to water above Ross that is far better than your water and personally I have no interest in your water whatsoever."

Sorry, but read, assimilate, respond. I think you owe Graham an apology.