Barbel in Stillwater

P

Paul Williams

Sedge,
You only had to look at the barbs that were being caught this year on the lower Severn to realise that they were growing fat on something, "rich" can take on many meanings and in this case weed doesn't seem to be part of the equation...some years there may for instance an abundace of pea snails or similar aquatic food source.
The lower Severn has always held a large head of large head of big fish.....before the barbs the bream shoals were legendary along with plenty of roach......they wouldn't have got so prolific or large if the lower Severn wasn't rich in some form.

P

Philip Inzani

Sedge, got to say that I am not sure I agree that Barbel have always been a successes story when they have been stocked in rivers. The Sussex Ouse I believe had legitimate stockings and are still caught but they are hardly prolific (if someone knows otherwise please tell me where!) the Medway as well, I think had a legitimate stocking and although they do grow big, I dont think you can say they are prolific either. On the other hand I was always surprised that some stretches of the lower Kennet do not seem very Barbelly at all, but they are absolutely stuffed in there....Mind you a few years ago no one would have said that a fast, gravel bottomed river would be ideal for Carp but just look at the Royalty.
Basically I think fish are pretty adaptable creatures.

R

Rob Brownfield

We even have Barbel in the river Clyde up here in Scotland. Fish to 9 pounds have been taken. I believe these fish originally came up the M6 in the back of a transit van from the Seven.
On that note, there is a thrieving population of Dace in Loch Lomond. This is a fish that need flowing water, apparently...I guess fish are adaptable indeed.