Barbel in Winter

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bully: "Graham - I understand the rising temp bit, but do you have any preference as to whether the river is rising or falling?"

I've caught plenty during both but if pushed I'd choose at its peak, when it's steady, or falling.

njb51

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Do you reckon a static or moving bait would be better? Or even a static or moving approach? i.e. changing swims everynow and then?

B

BLAM

I fish a small river (Medway today for example) and don't linger in swims for more than 1 hour as it hasn't in the past been productive to stay much longer. Either they are there and feeding or not and thus not. Sometimes the corner/bend swims are worth persevering as in this river at least they can run 3 times deeper than the straights if not more. With more volume of water it is sometimes better to bait and wait.

As to moving baits I tend to prefer this when the temperatures are low and usually this means into the New Year. At the moment I'm still fishing 2 rods and leap frogging them. Once its colder I tend to trundle and/or freeline a single bait with 1 rod. If nothing else its warmer to keep moving.

eric walker

Reaction score
jonny i never like a static bait . when its really cold the bait needs to be in the water for longer periods . but i do what i use to do when bream fishing give it a twitch even if it only moves slightly . in my experiance you can be only feet away from a fish and they wont take . you can drop the bait on the nose and they wont take . that twitch or movement might just be all it takes . never stop experimenting there are no hard or fast rules once you have the confidence to catch in cold conditions its amazing what you get . fred tescos sell some good syrup in tubes you will be amazed at the results . they also sell some good additives especially in the animal section and are cheap to

F

Fred Bonney

Gives himself a note....
Must experiment more.
Right just pepped up some spam with chilly powder and found some Frost and Flood that I've left on the shelf,no meat pie tomorrow,pastry used up..
Boss is taking me to Tesco tomorrow for some groceries....;o)

fishy pete

Reaction score
fred you wanted to no wether anyone had any experience of predatory barbel? cat caught a 3lbs barbel on a large white minkie i think it was wilst out trout fishing last year,caught it on a sinking line with fast retrieve.......and it was squarely hooked in corner of mouth.......

fishy pete

Reaction score
sorry jonny, dont realy fish for barbel in winter ,switch to pike chub or grayling, caught a couple from trent though in january a couple of years back,westerly winds pushing warm rain in ,on a rising river. i was using lob worm ,i was fishing for chub at time touch ledgering behind part flooded marginal willow bushes.