Barbel on Minnows

Aknib

Reaction score
Has anyone actually done it?

It's well documented but I've never tried it, not least for the practicality of trying to catch the Minnows first and the additional tackle required when you could so easily use a variety of convenient and readily available supermarket and tackle shop pre-packed baits.

I think the Summer months are the best times to try, particularly after spawning.

Anyone else tried their hand at it or know of anyone who has?

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Spanish anglers love to search for barbel with lures.
The point is that both barbel and bass often share the same habitat, otherwise the huchon as well as trout.
So you will find anglers using lures in deep running rivers, or in shallower clear water using very small lures (think of a cra-pea for instance).
Personally when living in Spain I managed to catch all those species on lures except for... barbel!!!

john step

Reaction score
I sat beside the weir apron at Appleford on the Thames many years ago watching bleak scattering as what I thought was a pike attacking.
After a while I was able to see it was barbel eating them.

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm sure they are excellent bait and why not. Probable only downside is keeping eels, perch, pike, chub off them. I've found carp a damn nuisance when using deadbaits and most fish will take another small fish if given the opportunity, a free meal is a free meal.

steve2

Reaction score
Reading old books many use minnows for barbel and chub fishing very effectively.
Now most of us just fish with convenient off the self bait and forget how to use what are seen as old style methods.

Reaction score
Apparently minnows are most attractive to barbel when shoaled in the shallows for spawning,you now when they get their red bellies(males),,when they spread out barbel seem to lose interest in them,seeking different food items...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Peter Stone wrote countless articles in the '60s advocating minnows for barbel, but I'm not sure if he ever actually caught any on them!

Reaction score
Yes he did David,when he was a schoolboy,he actually admitted to catching them in the closed season,which at that age knew nothing of,i have a book of his called 'Come fishing with me' where he tells you about it,as an aside this book is a great read,though dated,Peter Stone's knowledge must have been enormous,especially when put together with **** Walker,Fred J Taylor and gang....

barbelboi

Reaction score
I seem to recall Brother Jerry having done this. I could be wrong mind.

Yes Skip, my first double (10.4) at Marlow weir was taken on minnow live bait in 1972. I won't take too much credit for it though as, at the time, I did not realise barbel could be taken this way. The day was spent fishing luncheon meat without a twitch so for the last hour I decided to have a go for one of the very decent chub that we used to catch there. Within minutes the rod wrapped round and a PB of the time was netted.

I later discovered that Fred J used to regularly trot minnows along the Thames for fun and that they could be a very effective early season bait.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
You could also google for "barbo con artificiales" or "barbo con senuelos", and then a web translator. No issue!, as Spanish anglers know all lures available. When I was living there any angling forum was an endless list of lures :)

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I did actually try it once on the Wye but it was a half hearted effort after I overheard another angler talking about catching on a minnow. I didn’t catch anything but this being pre pellet revolution days I thought I stood a chance in a wild environment like that.

Its interesting as there seems to be allot less qualms about tapping into a Barbels predatory instinct by anglers on the continent who catch them on lures & files. I still prefer a “normal” bait but sometimes wonder if I am missing something.

Whats a Halibut pellet after all !

Reaction score
I personally agree with you Philip,from Peter Stones's book he said that the barbel gathered just below run offs at the weirs to charge through the minnow hoards on the shallows...

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
I recon you’d struggle to keep your minnow on long enough for Bertie, Jacks and Perch would be on that Minnow very quickly, especially in summer. I’ve had some big pike chase 5g spinners when targeting Perch in summer and once or twice I’ve been caught out with a hooked pike on light gear.

Molehill

Reaction score
I would put money on a minnow mounted on a single hook and a split shot weight rolled round under some overhang. Be snaffled I bet and the Barb's wouldn't be too wary of it.

Reaction score
Have a go mate,I have,on several rivers,never had a barbel yet,but no doubt they munch em at times...

fred hall

Reaction score
I sat beside the weir apron at Appleford on the Thames many years ago watching bleak scattering as what I thought was a pike attacking.
After a while I was able to see it was barbel eating them.

Yes, just once about 15 years ago on the Ribble I saw a whole shoal of minnows suddenly become airborne with a barbel in hot pursuit! It would made one heck of a photo.